Class 37, by Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, mdvle said:

talking about how the tooling could only be used for a limited time, which isn't true.

Well that actually depends on the type of tool as the material used dictates the life of the mould before it wears out, that’s why old plastic kits that have been run and run have flash because they exceeded the mould life. You choose the material based on the expected production run overall.

Accurascale will have it covered ;) 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

Accurascale will have it covered ;) 

Hammer, nail, head...

These Accurascale boys have demonstrated that they know what they are doing. Let's just leave them to get on with making us this 37, and I am sure they will announce what additional models they know make sense to them and their business case in the future.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, mdvle said:

No, I wasn't, because you started off talking about how the tooling could only be used for a limited time, which isn't true.

I do now understand what you are getting at (and perhaps because I am used to it being that way given that is often how the North American manufacturers operate I couldn't see what you are trying to say).

I was referring to specific tooling been very limited for specific locos for example only four locos are identical for one set of tooling 606-609. Therefore the moulds/tooling for those four locos is very limited because none of the other 37s are identical to them. Also I didn't mean that the tooling was limited in terms of time, I meant that it was limited/restricted in some cases to just a few locos that could be produced/modelled, for example 606-609, just covers four 37s which are identical. 

Anyway, hopefully we have cleared up the confusion now. 

• Agree 1

Hi Danny,

One thing to look out for if renumbering are the cant rail grills and nose ends on all corners. 606 has RSH split cant rail grills so not the same as 7-9. Flickr is good for DRS locos but look at both sides. 

37606 is a really good choice as it featured on some of the first top and tail Cumbrian coast workings before the DBSO’s we’re ready with one of the 37/4’s at the other end often 409 and 402. 

cheers

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

Hi Danny,

One thing to look out for if renumbering are the cant rail grills and nose ends on all corners. 606 has RSH split cant rail grills so not the same as 7-9. Flickr is good for DRS locos but look at both sides. 

37606 is a really good choice as it featured on some of the first top and tail Cumbrian coast workings before the DBSO’s we’re ready with one of the 37/4’s at the other end often 409 and 402. 

cheers

Mark

Definitely this! 

Out of curiosity I did a Flickr search on each number to see what these locos are like nowadays in 2019, and what an utter mess of styles they all are, hats off to Accurascale for actually tackling something so varied that it should normally be left for modellers to fiddle about to their hearts content!

As well as the differences spotted by Mark above, I noted different roof styles at the No.2 end, the plainer roof and the style with more rivets (to count if one chooses!) plus the frequent variation in the second set of footsteps being removed in the underslung tanks on the chassis too! 

Must admit I do prefer the simpler days when these 37/6s were in classy EPS grey and DRS were but a token novelty blue nuclear outfit from up North! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

Hi Danny,

cheers

Mark

Thanks very much for the info Mark. It's very much appreciated. 

I had thought that their may be minor differences that I hadn't yet noticed/considered between 606-609 but personally I am willing to overlook these. For me the noticeable difference between 37s are the noses, and as long as this is correct which using 606 in Compass as a base model I could accurately portray 607 & 608 in the same DRS Compass guise in relation to the noses been correct. If I'm honest if you hadn't of mentioned the grilles on 606 been different to 607 & 608 I wouldn't have noticed. It's really useful info though, that I didn't know and it's very interesting. It's good to know these things now too especially considering that Accurascale are announcing further 37s because their may be other instances where the differences are too noticeable and I decide not to renumber in order to avoid the model been inaccurate. 

The running numbers and liveries that Accurascale have chosen have been done very well. I can recall 602 & 606 in Compass been used on the Northern Cumbrian Coast diagrams and I also remember that 609 in Revised DRS livery was used too. I also think that 609 was used for some of the initial driver training runs as well. All three of which will soon be available in these liveries in ready to run form by Accurascale. Having the Accurascale DRS 37/6s alongside Bachmann DRS 37/4s is going to be brilliant for modellers alike myself because their are so many different variations of the Cumbrian Coast diagrams that can be recreated in relation to locos and liveries. We are very lucky. 

15 minutes ago, James Makin said:

Definitely this! 

Out of curiosity I did a Flickr search on each number to see what these locos are like nowadays in 2019, and what an utter mess of styles they all are, hats off to Accurascale for actually tackling something so varied that it should normally be left for modellers to fiddle about to their hearts content!

As well as the differences spotted by Mark above, I noted different roof styles at the No.2 end, the plainer roof and the style with more rivets (to count if one chooses!) plus the frequent variation in the second set of footsteps being removed in the underslung tanks on the chassis too! 

Must admit I do prefer the simpler days when these 37/6s were in classy EPS grey and DRS were but a token novelty blue nuclear outfit from up North! :lol:

I completely agree. The main noticeable differences for me with 37s (no doubt many others as well) is their noses. When you consider that out of x12 37/6s alone their are five different variations of noses alone. That's without accounting for the slightly less obvious individual details between each individual loco alike what you and Mark have mentioned. For me this shows serious commitment and determination in tackling such a massive project (Class 37) when their are so many different details and variations to research and incorporate into the tooling. 

Just out of interest when you refer to the roofs of the 37/6s are you referring to different colours or slight variations of one colour or something else? I don't think I have ever researched Class 37/6 roofs so that could be something I could do when I get some spare time. It would be interesting to spot the differences. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Just out of interest when you refer to the roofs of the 37/6s are you referring to different colours or slight variations of one colour or something else? I don't think I have ever researched Class 37/6 roofs so that could be something I could do when I get some spare time. It would be interesting to spot the differences. 

As originally built early series 1 37's had riveted strips across the roof at the No2 boiler end later built series 2 all had plain sheet panels. RSH builds also had the extra cant rail grille strip supports.

These features remained throughout refurb into later sub classes including the 37/6's.

37 001 - 095 riveted band strips

from 37 096 on plain metal panels

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
On 29/11/2019 at 15:44, sulzer71 said:

All i want for Christmas is a bunch of Scottish 37/0's :D

All I want is some early EE Type threes, coloured in beautiful green with split headcodes, not forgetting the central headcode panels. Accurascale must be well ahead with these as the Deltic bogies and Type 3 bogies were much of a sameness weren't they?

I dont know if this has been discussed earlier but it appears from the description on the Accurascale website that the model will have a 'stay alive' capacity of up to ten seconds. I'm wondering if this will be operative in analogue DC as that would be a first in RTR and had been thought impossible until we saw the amazing Hornby 48DS modified by Paul Chetter (RM Web and current Hornby Magazine).  However, I have slight reservations:- will feedback controllers and HF track cleaners be compatible with the Accurascale version of this feature? For those relying on track isolations to prevent collisions and enable automatic stopping, a 10 second 'stay alive' could be disastrous (!) so will it be possible to reduce that to a fraction of a second or disconnect  it completely?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Broadway Clive said:

I dont know if this has been discussed earlier but it appears from the description on the Accurascale website that the model will have a 'stay alive' capacity of up to ten seconds. I'm wondering if this will be operative in analogue DC as that would be a first in RTR and had been thought impossible until we saw the amazing Hornby 48DS modified by Paul Chetter (RM Web and current Hornby Magazine).  However, I have slight reservations:- will feedback controllers and HF track cleaners be compatible with the Accurascale version of this feature? For those relying on track isolations to prevent collisions and enable automatic stopping, a 10 second 'stay alive' could be disastrous (!) so will it be possible to reduce that to a fraction of a second or disconnect  it completely?

Hi Clive,

The powerpack works on DCC only, so the loco will behave as per normal on DC power.

Cheers!

Fran

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 20/11/2019 at 12:15, dhjgreen said:

Have you announced this detail for the Deltic somewhere, I cannot find it if you have?

Patrick from Accurascale has confirmed to me that drop in replacement wheelsets will be offered for the Deltic as well as the 37, it's still a "work in progress" and further information will follow in due course.

Douglas

Edited by drjcontroller
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 37038 said:

Is it too late to advise of an error on the bogies?

The centre axle hornkeep should be larger than the inner and outer ones (photo borrowed from Flickr to illustrate).

_20191205_214520.png

Hi there!

No, there is still time, so thanks for that. I’m glad to report that it’s already on our list of corrections!

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, dj_crisp said:

As an EM modeller I'm just wondering what axles you'll be using and if they'll be an easy conversion?

Cheers

Will

Hi Will,

our plan is to offer EM and P4 wheelsets separately and in doing so ensuring conversion is straightforward.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Will,

our plan is to offer EM and P4 wheelsets separately and in doing so ensuring conversion is straightforward.

Cheers!

Fran

Hi Fran

That is stunningly brilliant - sounds like there'll be very little modelling to do when these arrive :) 

I can't wait for your 80s/90s batches ;)

cheers

Will

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 06/12/2019 at 10:11, Accurascale Fran said:

We need a 'cheering and clapping' button on this forum! In the meantime this will have to do: :clapping:

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, funky2k said:

Great looking model, question about the NEM pockets, will they be attached to the bogies or body?

morning! The coupler socket is attached to the body with a ‘kinematic’ (moving) mount.  

• Like 3