Class 37, by Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

We will be offering alternative boiler port blanking plates in a polybag for these early locos as the boiler situation was fluid at this time, so you get the choice of both! :)

Cheers,

Fran

Good plan....

• Agree 1

Does anybody know the dates when the proposed D6702 in gsyp wore this livery ?  It appears to have a TOPS panel whilst retaining the 'D' prefix to its number. 

The photo of the actual loco referred to above, does not state a precise date, whilst the class 37 behind in gfye livery appears to be without its 'D' prefix. 

I have tried to find the earliest date when locos received these data panels without success.

For comparison, there is an earlier image of D6702 at:-

https://hiveminer.com/Tags/d6702/Timeline

4th row down - left image (when I opened this page)

Also there is a photo dated 17.3.68 of D6702 with 'NB' after its number, but no data panel at:

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p251491321/h6557C62#h6557c62

Just wondering if 97301 ever runs with MK3 DVTs on the other end of a train (other than moving them about)? From what I can see it normally runs with a DBSO but they aren't easy to come by!

Actually since posting this I have found a pic of it top and tailing with 37099 which is good enough for me as I have it!

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

Just wondering if 97301 ever runs with MK3 DVTs on the other end of a train (other than moving them about)? From what I can see it normally runs with a DBSO but they aren't easy to come by!

Actually since posting this I have found a pic of it top and tailing with 37099 which is good enough for me as I have it!

The yellow Mk3 DVTs can only work in push-pull mode with 67s. (There may have been the odd stock move with 37s and the yellow DVTs other than the initial delivery run with 97301/37425 from Brush.)

6Z67 Brush - RTC 37425 82124 82129 82145 and 97301

Plenty of pics of 97301 with yellow RTOVs [*] though 

[RTOV - remote train operating vehicle - is the official term for the former DBSOs, but they are still referred to as DiBSOs by the guys that maintain and run them]

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

Hopefully Bachmann announce a Network Rail DBSO in their 2020 range...they would be mad not to considering how popular this Accurascale 97301 is going to be.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, maico said:

Fran, how are you getting the right shade of green on the early ones. Looking at this colour photo when the loco had just left the works, it's Army khaki green like old Land Rovers ?

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p251491321/hD7521453#heff2f88

Eh, that’s a black and white photo! How can you tell it was khaki green? As far as I am aware, the green used for locos in that period is fairly well understood: BR Locomotive Green

Roy

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, maico said:

Fran, how are you getting the right shade of green on the early ones. Looking at this colour photo when the loco had just left the works, it's Army khaki green like old Land Rovers ?

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p251491321/hD7521453#heff2f88

you can not go on old photos

as the 2 major old film makers one was good at taking photos of red things & the other green the same what for the photo paper

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Eh, that’s a black and white photo! How can you tell it was khaki green? As far as I am aware, the green used for locos in that period is fairly well understood: BR Locomotive Green

Roy

Link shows in colour to me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, classy52 said:

Hopefully Bachmann announce a Network Rail DBSO in their 2020 range...they would be mad not to considering how popular this Accurascale 97301 is going to be.

Well in a nice world of friendly business you would think this would happen.

Remember what Bachmann did with Hattons following the 66, well they also do a 37 too.

5 minutes ago, mozzer models said:

you can not go on old photos

as the 2 major old film makers one was good at taking photos of red things & the other green the same what for the photo paper

You can if the photo contains white skin tones, grass, sky blue, gray and other known tones. I used to work as a cameraman in the film industry grading negative stock in post.

The photo shown might be a Kodachrome transparency though which is generally accurate for green. See WWII Kodachromes here

https://www.theguardian.com/world/gallery/2017/apr/19/the-second-world-war-in-colour-in-pictures

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, classy52 said:

May depend on whether Bachmann had already scheduled the DBSO for a production run or not.  If not then maybe one of the announcements later in 2020 or even 2021 if Bachmann wants to take advantage.

4 minutes ago, mdvle said:

May depend on whether Bachmann had already scheduled the DBSO for a production run or not.  If not then maybe one of the announcements later in 2020 or even 2021 if Bachmann wants to take advantage.

Aye and maybe some blue/grey and Scotrail ones when Heljan release their 47/7 models to rival Bachamann's in a couple of years.

This is Bill Wright's Kodachrome transparency of an English Electric 1000HP Type 1 Bo-Bo no. D8123 on Polmadie Shed taken in 15th July 1965. It contains all the info required to colour match this loco IMHO.

I dare say there are photos of the early class 37s just as good.

4942067526_803b88987c_b.jpg

Edited by maico
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 22/01/2020 at 13:21, Phil Bullock said:

BRLocodatabase says she was a 41A loco between 11.11.67 and 16.5.70. 

http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=D&id=6702&loco=6702

1969 is a fair bet but cant find a definitive photo for that year .... yet!

Data panels - which were nothing at all to do with TOPS as they pre-dated it by 5 years - first started to appear on locos in 1968 although very slowly at first  (so you had to look them up in the white Pages of the WMRS if you had a loco without a panel).  I reckon 1969 is a reasonable assumption.

Various Tinsley turns required boilers when the EE turns were first allocated as they worked south over the GC route to Banbury on passenger jobs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 29/01/2020 at 10:02, The Stationmaster said:

Data panels - which were nothing at all to do with TOPS as they pre-dated it by 5 years - first started to appear on locos in 1968 although very slowly at first  (so you had to look them up in the white Pages of the WMRS if you had a loco without a panel).  I reckon 1969 is a reasonable assumption.

Various Tinsley turns required boilers when the EE turns were first allocated as they worked south over the GC route to Banbury on passenger jobs.

And used to see those boilered Tinsley 37s - particuarly the D680x/D681x series of split boxers...at Derby Mike on trains of 21 tonners heading south - assume coal from Shirebrook/Worksop area, probably to Willington given that they re-appeared northbound after around 2 hours......

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, truffy said:

So which one’s the ‘right’ one?

All of them, if they are off a real prototype.

Thing is knowing theres so many shades of green means it doesnt matter youve a few shades of green on your shed, as there was different shades of green on real sheds too.

Theres little point applying direct science to a study of variables.

Which green is the right one here ?

E43C7C12-D804-48C4-A20B-29DC26312C55.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

All of them, if they are off a real prototype.

Precisely. I was, somewhat rhetorically, referring to the recurring debates on colour shades that crop up here and there.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

And used to see those boilered Tinsley 37s - particuarly the D680x/D681x series of split boxers...at Derby Mike on trains of 21 tonners heading south - assume coal from Shirebrook/Worksop area, probably to Willington given that they re-appeared northbound after around 2 hours......

Either that or Drakelow.

.( though that was probably serviced by South Derbys.pits.) Both now a memory. In the case of Willington the memory lingers on with the cooling towers still in place even though it ceased generating years ago.Drakelow towers were however a different matter.I vividly recall the deafening explosions as they were demolished,being but three miles away.

The Tinsley 37’s were regular performers on the through SR trains via the GC line.John Lewis Nottingham now stands directly above where I first saw one in late 1965 at Victoria station of distant memory and a  sadly dingy place it was too in the twilight of its life.

• Like 1