Class 37, by Accurascale

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

All of them, if they are off a real prototype.

Thing is knowing theres so many shades of green means it doesnt matter youve a few shades of green on your shed, as there was different shades of green on real sheds too.

Theres little point applying direct science to a study of variables.

Which green is the right one here ?

E43C7C12-D804-48C4-A20B-29DC26312C55.jpeg

Well the variable is time. If I painted fresh grapes the shade would be different than when they are older. For me, the Accurascale D6703 should be as it left the Vulcan Foundary in 1959. The original paint maker would have been using a Munsell colour chart so it's not an impossible task these days to get a good match.

Edited by maico

15 minutes ago, maico said:

For me, the Accurascale D6703 should be as it left the Vulcan Foundary in 1959

Most of it was probably bauxite (as in Iron ore) in 1959. It didn't leave the "foundry" and enter traffic until 3 days before 1961.

As we've seen above it looks like it will be decorated in it's 1969 condition. (with faded coat of arms & pink lion?)

What say you?

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Fran,

Just picked something up in regards to DRS 37609 and it is the differently coloured wipac light clusters on each end which seems to have changed from black to yellow between Dec'16 & Jan'17, see photos below;

Accurascale offering which seems to be up to 2016:

image.png.34f1711c20de5864c6c51f7d2881bfc8.png

Current prototype from 2017 to current (well the latest photo I could find was back in 2018 so did they got black again?):

image.png.2ea6bbf096cdcf28c4590196af3f1f86.png

I was hoping the DRS Class 37's were of current protoypical livery and paint jobs thus could you confirm whether this is set in stone on which years 37609 is depicted or something you guys hadn't noticed as of yet?

This stuff with colours & liveries gets really confusing sometimes...

Cheers

Steve

Edited by classy52
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Just picked something up in regards to DRS 37609 and it is the differently coloured wipac light clusters on each end which seems to have changed from black to yellow between Dec'16 & Jan'17

Interesting, so actually the only one that looks as per current prototype is 37602. 37605 wrong livery 37609 wrong lights? It needs the yellow lights as per 37608 to be current as you say.

14 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Interesting, so actually the only one that looks as per current prototype is 37602. 37605 wrong livery 37609 wrong lights? It needs the yellow lights as per 37608 to be current as you say.

Yes 37602 is fine but I don't know anything about 37605 as the DRS livery chosen by Accurascale is out of my era thus only interested in DRS current day or the last couple of years.

Edited by classy52

10 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Yes 37602 is fine but I don't know anything about 37605 as the DRS livery chosen by Accurascale is out of my era thus only interested in DRS current day or the last couple of years.

Yeah it's just you said you hoped "the DRS 37s" to be current, and 605 is not so was just explaining that!

Edited by TomScrut

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

its almost impossible to be “current”, the moment a 37 leaves kingmoor and bug gets squashed on the windscreen that grime makes the loco a spec more dirty.

They could make an ex-works model in China, same day the same 37 leaves Derby paintshop, and by the time the model was delivered it could look very different, especially if its RHTT season, it might be unrecognisable.

It would be very hard to achieve perfection as it looks today, as tomorrow it might hit a protruding branch and someone could modify a part, such as a light cluster and so its different...for the next so many years until repaint.

Accurascales making us a 37 as it appeared at a point in time, not as it looks in 365 days into the future before they have made it... otherwise why the BR green 1960’s versions ?..they too are point in time... 37/6’s could be withdrawn before the model is released..then what.. supply it in bits as seen at Booths ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, classy52 said:

Hi Fran,

Just picked something up in regards to DRS 37609 and it is the differently coloured wipac light clusters on each end which seems to have changed from black to yellow between Dec'16 & Jan'17, see photos below;

Accurascale offering which seems to be up to 2016:

image.png.34f1711c20de5864c6c51f7d2881bfc8.png

Current prototype from 2017 to current (well the latest photo I could find was back in 2018 so did they got black again?):

image.png.2ea6bbf096cdcf28c4590196af3f1f86.png

I was hoping the DRS Class 37's were of current protoypical livery and paint jobs thus could you confirm whether this is set in stone on which years 37609 is depicted or something you guys hadn't noticed as of yet?

This stuff with colours & liveries gets really confusing sometimes...

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

37609 was painted in revised DRS compass circa August 2014, the black front of the WIPACs at both ends was looking pretty battered by the end of 2016. By early 2017 DRS had either replaced the fronts with yellow ones or they had cleaned the rest of the black paint off exposing the yellow in order to give a cleaner look. So it ran for a shade longer with the black ends, 2yrs 4m vs 2yrs 2m Of the yellow. As many customers have signed up to it in this condition this is how we’ll offer it. However, a bit of modelling will sort it to the era you desire if you so choose.

I hope this helps!

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

its almost impossible to be “current”, the moment a 37 leaves kingmoor and bug gets squashed on the windscreen that grime makes the loco a spec more dirty.

They could make an ex-works model in China, same day the same 37 leaves Derby paintshop, and by the time the model was delivered it could look very different, especially if its RHTT season, it might be unrecognisable.

It would be very hard to achieve perfection as it looks today, as tomorrow it might hit a protruding branch and someone could modify a part, such as a light cluster and so its different...for the next so many years until repaint.

Accurascales making us a 37 as it appeared at a point in time, not as it looks in 365 days into the future before they have made it... otherwise why the BR green 1960’s versions ?..they too are point in time... 37/6’s could be withdrawn before the model is released..then what.. supply it in bits as seen at Booths ?

We covered this in the 92 thread....

I do not see what is wrong with what I said. 602 is the only one that currently looks like the model Accurascale are making (from what I can see). Is that a difficult concept to grasp?

As with the 92 thread, I aren't suggesting that the companies keep aiming at moving targets, but I'd like to think that when stuff is announced if the vehicles are still present on the network then at least one is relevant to that point in time meaning in all likelihood they will be relevant to present day when the model arrives. Most locos go a fair while in-between reliveries don't they?

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Steve,

37609 was painted in revised DRS compass circa August 2014, the black front of the WIPACs at both ends was looking pretty battered by the end of 2016. By early 2017 DRS had either replaced the fronts with yellow ones or they had cleaned the rest of the black paint off exposing the yellow in order to give a cleaner look. So it ran for a shade longer with the black ends, 2yrs 4m vs 2yrs 2m Of the yellow. As many customers have signed up to it in this condition this is how we’ll offer it. However, a bit of modelling will sort it to the era you desire if you so choose.

I hope this helps!

Cheers!

Fran

No worries Fran, like I said just seeking confirmation on how it will be presented which you have done thus it will proudly sit in my cabinet or on a layout...thanks mate.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by classy52
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

Yeah it's just you said you hoped "the DRS 37s" to be current, and 605 is not so was just explaining that!

Ummm I knew that already, ok maybe I should have been clearer as I was only referring to the DRS Compass/Swoosh liveries excluding the noughties varieties.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Hi Tom,

606 is still in compass livery, so that is current too. Not forgetting 97301 too, of course.

Many thanks,

Fran

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Tom,

606 is still in compass livery, so that is current too. Not forgetting 97301 too, of course.

Many thanks,

Fran

I was looking on the wrong page and didn't see 606!

If I was ordering a DRS one I'd still go for 609 I think as I prefer the livery, the lights don't bother me that much.

I have 97301 and 37608 (which I presume is still in the state you're modelling it) on pre order.

Do you think it's likely you'll do another EP/ROG 37 in the future? I'd hate to have to buy a Bachmann one to go with 608 :P

I shouldn't really have bought 97301 as I won't have an appropriate loco/DBSO to run it with but it's yellow which means I had to have it! Actually since I posted this I recall I have seen a pic of it with 099 which I have.

Edited by TomScrut

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I shouldn't really have bought 97301 as I won't have an appropriate loco/DBSO to run it with but it's yellow which means I had to have it! Actually since I posted this I recall I have seen a pic of it with 099 which I have.

It doesn't always haul yellow stuff.....

Having said that - the pic is pre-ERTMS fitment.

97301 at Crewe

And if you're feeling adventurous with the airbrush, this is 97303 at the other end.

97303 at Crewe

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Do you think it's likely you'll do another EP/ROG 37 in the future? I'd hate to have to buy a Bachmann one to go with 608 :P

Hi Tom,

it’s a very popular livery so I can see us doing another EP/ROG 37 in the future for sure.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 29/01/2020 at 00:45, maico said:

This is Bill Wright's Kodachrome transparency of an English Electric 1000HP Type 1 Bo-Bo no. D8123 on Polmadie Shed taken in 15th July 1965. It contains all the info required to colour match this loco IMHO.

I dare say there are photos of the early class 37s just as good.

4942067526_803b88987c_b.jpg

Seems these days the colour codes used by makers are the German RAL (Reichs-Ausschuß für Lieferbedingungen)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_RAL_colors

Both Bachmann and Hornby factory diagrams use RAL

Bachmann9-artwork.jpg

es-r3623-artwork-2_1.jpg

es-r3623-artwork-1.jpg

Edited by maico