Class 37, by Accurascale

2 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

A Sheffield envoy travelled to Dublin pre-lockdown and copious pints of Guinness were consumed, especially by Mr. Rails himself, who had his first pint of the black stuff in many, many years and I believe it has since become his tipple of choice. Best meeting we ever had! 

This was before the drinking started, but you wouldnt know that by my face! 

408357905_railsandaccurascaleDublin.jpg.e64be962a7e71391645e1e5fc43b4f19.jpg

It was a good night in fairness. 

Cheers!

Fran 

I don't know what they put in the black stuff, the whole trip is a blur!  :D These exclusive keep popping up though!!

No seriously, we had a great time, what a great bunch of chaps at Accurascale. We hope to do it again once this madness is behind us.

Take Care

Oliver

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Frond said:

Love the picture but could Oliver or Fran give us a left to right name check please for those of us who don't know who is who.

Thanks

Steve

Ah go on so!

L - R: Oliver (Rails), Patrick (Accurascale) , me, John (Rails) and Adam (Rails).

Our famously camera shy MD took the pic!

Cheers,

Fran

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Our famously camera shy MD took the pic!

Yep, that's me behind the camera :)

• Funny 3

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone in the know have information on what's happened to both 37602 & 37609?

Have they been stored by DRS or they still operating on the mainline for them?

Just curious and can't seem to source any latest photo's of them on Flickr since 2018/early-2019 unless there are other places to look.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Does anyone in the know have information on what's happened to both 37602 & 37609?

Just curious and can't seem to source any latest photo's of them on Flickr since 2018/early-2019 unless there are other places to look.

Cheers

Steve

Best place to look is WNXX.com, which indicates they are stored at Eastleigh Works and Longtown respectively.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Cheers

Steve

602 is stored XHHP at Eastleigh Arlington Works and 609 is stored XHHP at Longtown, not far from Carlisle Kingmoor Depot. 602 was officially stored in September 2019 in the XHSS pool and was later transferred to the XHHP pool a few months ago. 609 was stored in February 2018 in the XHSS pool and was later transferred to the XHHP pool a few months ago alike 602. 

602 was at Eastleigh Works for repairs to it's bogies and wheelsets but the repairs were suspended during mid/late 2019.  I am almost certain that some of the repairs were undertaken though at Arlington and I believe 602 now has at least some different bogies and wheelsets fitted, compared to what was fitted before it arrived at Arlington's. 

All of the remaining 37/6s on DRS' books are now in the XHHP pool, which means that they will almost certainly never return to active traffic with DRS. I suspect that they will become spares donors to keep the 37/4s going for a while longer and maybe some of them will be sold on to other operators as some of the others already have. 

Also, it's important that in the short term the 37/4s are kept in service, for the next year or so at least for the Network Rail Infrastructure Monitoring jobs. So although the 37/6s have been stood down their parts will become very useful for keeping the 37/4s going. 

For clarity the XHHP pool is the deregistration pool for DRS locos, meaning that it's almost certain none of the remaining DRS 37/6s on their books will return to traffic. Whereas the previous pool in which all of the remaining 37/6s were stored in was XHSS, and that's just the standard storage pool in which some locos are stored in, temporarily before they return to active traffic. You probably know all of this, but I just thought that I would mention the distinction between the two different pools and what that may mean for the locos registered in them. 

Hope this helps. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

602 is stored XHHP at Eastleigh Arlington Works and 609 is stored XHHP at Longtown, not far from Carlisle Kingmoor Depot. 602 was officially stored in September 2019 in the XHSS pool and was later transferred to the XHHP pool a few months ago. 609 was stored in February 2018 in the XHSS pool and was later transferred to the XHHP pool a few months ago alike 602. 

602 was at Eastleigh Works for repairs to it's bogies and wheelsets but the repairs were suspended during mid/late 2019.  I am almost certain that some of the repairs were undertaken though at Arlington and I believe 602 now has at least some different bogies and wheelsets fitted, compared to what was fitted before it arrived at Arlington's. 

All of the remaining 37/6s on DRS' books are now in the XHHP pool, which means that they will almost certainly never return to active traffic with DRS. I suspect that they will become spares donors to keep the 37/4s going for a while longer and maybe some of them will be sold on to other operators as some of the others already have. 

Also, it's important that in the short term the 37/4s are kept in service, for the next year or so at least for the Network Rail Infrastructure Monitoring jobs. So although the 37/6s have been stood down their parts will become very useful for keeping the 37/4s going. 

For clarity the XHHP pool is the deregistration pool for DRS locos, meaning that it's almost certain none of the remaining DRS 37/6s on their books will return to traffic. Whereas the previous pool in which all of the remaining 37/6s were stored in was XHSS, and that's just the standard storage pool in which some locos are stored in, temporarily before they return to active traffic. You probably know all of this, but I just thought that I would mention the distinction between the two different pools and what that may mean for the locos registered in them. 

Hope this helps. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

Wow very insightful information Danny and very much appreciated.

You don't happen to be the Angel Donor for the RevolutioN/Heljan O Gauge DRS 37405...you literally live & breathe DRS :jester:

Edited by classy52
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/05/2020 at 15:59, TomScrut said:

Is there any advantage to keeping 37/6s running when the 37/4s are a better suited to multi role?

They were used a lot as they had low engine hours as EPS basically didn’t use them much. As a result, that is no longer the case.

Given, as I understand it, some of the parts on a 37/6 are non-standard, once they got to high engine hours, their future was very limited, as is now being seen. 

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

They were used a lot as they had low engine hours as EPS basically didn’t use them much. As a result, that is no longer the case.

Given, as I understand it, some of the parts on a 37/6 are non-standard, once they got to high engine hours, their future was very limited, as is now being seen. 

Roy

Ah right that's interesting to know. I thought it was maybe something about them made their modifications that made them better suited to the freight work but the 37/7s were the ones with the obvious advantage there as far as I am aware

On 28/05/2020 at 15:59, TomScrut said:

Is there any advantage to keeping 37/6s running when the 37/4s are a better suited to multi role?

37/6s are 90mph capable as are the 37/0s. They are also fitted with cast bogies ex class 50/55. A lot of network rail test trains require 90mph running and blue star coupling, DRS have a small fleet of 37/0s for this. The main problem with the 37/6s is wheelsets. 37606 was tyre turned, but aquired wheel flats soon after and the wheels were already at scrapping size so it was game over.

• Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, slg said:

I'm hoping my future funds will allow sound fitted options especially if they're close to this

Great bit of film. I’d love a rake of them BOC tankers but 

a) I haven’t won the lottery yet and

b) even if had, I’d rather stick needles in my eyes than put business in the direction of that steel city Girls name model shop!

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 28/05/2020 at 17:10, classy52 said:

Wow very insightful information Danny and very much appreciated.

You don't happen to be the Angel Donor for the RevolutioN/Heljan O Gauge DRS 37405...you literally live & breathe DRS :jester:

Sorry for the late reply. 

You are very welcome my friend. 

Another thought on the stored DRS 37/6s. I can see in the future 602 at Eastleigh Works, 605 at Derby RTC and 606 at Crewe Gresty Bridge moving to Longtown for further storage. Most of the other stored or ex DRS 37s have been in storage at Longtown at some stage or another. Such storage sites allow depots like those mentioned above to have additional space/capacity. 

As for the O Gauge 37405, as much as I wish I was the angel donor, it most definitely isn't me haha. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Sorry for the late reply. 

You are very welcome my friend. 

Another thought on the stored DRS 37/6s. I can see in the future 602 at Eastleigh Works, 605 at Derby RTC and 606 at Crewe Gresty Bridge moving to Longtown for further storage. Most of the other stored or ex DRS 37s have been in storage at Longtown at some stage or another. Such storage sites allow depots like those mentioned above to have additional space/capacity. 

As for the O Gauge 37405, as much as I wish I was the angel donor, it most definitely isn't me haha. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

Mate where you been?...miss you posts :good:

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/05/2020 at 09:27, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

We're glad our friends at Rails of Sheffield have taken 37 610 on as a special edition. Oliver has posted a thread about it in the Rails section with all the info!

37610-Rails-Nathan-Williamson-2000px.jpg.d95d9fde91382299cf6a826e658141bf.jpg

Cheers,

Fran

ive just been acquainted with this odd beast today, but gosh it sure does grunt well...

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
On 20/06/2020 at 18:40, big jim said:

That’s a hell of a cutting!

and yes she does grunt well 

Thats the shallow one, the LBSC Quarry lines about 50m or so paralell to these are steeper !
Network Rail has just recently finished gardening this section, opening up the fantastic view ! Done a nice effort here.

Eitherside of Merstham tunnel is a long uphill, the peak I understand is in the tunnel, both sides are now a great place for filming hard working traction from above.

When I stand there looking at it, I think it looks like a model railway, so far below...

this was yesterday with 37254, it looked n gauge..

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 12