Class 37, by Accurascale

4 minutes ago, Locomotion No. 3 said:

We looked at the option of producing D6700 as currently preserved but this would have required new tooling options and would have added considerably to the price. 

We, therefore, decided with Accurascale to model the locomotive as originally delivered in 1960 for which the tooling options existed.

The photograph below was taken by myself on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway at Pickering in May 2007.

I trust that this clarifies why we made the decision we did.

Dennis Lovett

Exclusive Models Marketing Executive

Locomotion Models

IMG_0133.JPG

That is understandable Dennis. Looking at your photo above I had forgotten it is  one of a few class 37's that have a plain sided ex boiler water tank which would be another thing that anyone modelling D6700 today would need to change from the D6702 model.

• RMweb Gold
On 10/12/2020 at 10:43, Accurascale Fran said:

Thursday tractor teaser, since we're talking about the 37....

37-cab-standard.jpg.eede1bbc05b47c0bf2d3f0eeed01422b.jpg

Hi fran, not sure how much detail you want on the cab molding,  this is superb for me but to be 100 percent accurate the screenwash tank next to the secondmans seat is only present on refurbished locos .

The secondmans side panel used to have boiler gauges on it and the panel was in two types between early and later locos 

The 37/4 has etc controls on this

Also early none duel brake locos had a different brake valve and the straight air valve was lower

Please don't think I'm being critical but as the level of detail is awesome I'm not sure if you want them to be 100 percent accurate 

I can get you some pictures of 37/4 and DRS 37/0 cabs in the next couple of days if you want 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Russ,

Many thanks for your offer, but as you will know there is wild differences between locos. We have two drivers desks, three cab bulkheads and the DRS sound proofing partition. Having looked at cabs at over 30 real locos it was the most common combinations and we do have to draw the line somewhere. It really demonstrates the variety in these machines as you have come across yourself.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

We have two drivers desks, three cab bulkheads and the DRS sound proofing partition

Is it just me or does that sound like the beginnings of an Accurascale version of the 12 days of Christmas?! 

There's 4 bogie sides isn't there? Can probably easily fil in the the rest from your portfolio! 

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Is it just me or does that sound like the beginnings of an Accurascale version of the 12 days of Christmas?! 

There's 4 bogie sides isn't there? Can probably easily fil in the the rest from your portfolio! 

Five Piston Rings!

(You have gone to that level of detail, right? :D)

I REALLY want to order the Locomotion exclusive one but circumstances say no at the moment :(

• Like 1

Really looking forward to these coming out and the first sample looks amazing!

I might have to add the large logo one to the two Railfreight liveried ones on order!

I really hope you produce all the other versions at some point too, my Bachmann fleet is waiting to be replaced! 

Keep up the excellent work guys. 

ps. A 47 would be great too! ;-)

• RMweb Gold

I honestly think that Accurascale could continually produce Class 37’s in all forms and variations; and never run out of prototype subjects.  As long as you give us modellers “and our next announcement is” a few weeks after the first batch have arrived, I think we’ll be foaming at the mouth for months to come.

• Agree 2

Must resist!

As I commented on your Facebook post Fran it is a shame that the cab wasnt able to be modelled in full depth, but wow looking at these pictures this model is definatly going to knock the Bachmann model off the top spot!

look forward to more updates! :good:

NL

On 14/12/2020 at 18:30, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Jools,

As per our last update it's Q2 2021 https://accurascale.co.uk/blogs/news/class-37-project-update

We post project updates under the "What's New" tab which gives delivery dates of every in progress project, so always worth a look! Though we do have some new 37 news coming very soon!

Cheers,

Fran

Class 37 is coming on really, really well....congratulations A/S.  I'm sure its a time when you start to feel all your hard work and painstaking research is becoming worthwhile, as you start to see the fruits of your labour.

Most sexy bit is the Ex-Class 50 bogie frames..........keep going.......a little bit higher.... a bit to the left....a bit to the right....and then you have "Conqueror-ed" it!

Surely in the days of HAA,  C-D-A, that is a subtle hint!  I were going to start a thread "Have Accurascale just announced a Class 50?", but have restrained myself!  I'm quite impressed!  Although I have thought of a story line for a subtle hint video!  HAA!  HAA!

Best Wishes To all,

Remain Safe,

Have a "Superb" Christmas and "Glorious" New Year!

Chris.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 15/12/2020 at 14:53, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @tractor_37260,

The roof mesh retaining ring is something we are working on, but are bound by constraints in tooling too. This is the very first sample of this loco, there was no samples with them as metal before?

Thanks,

Fran

Hi Fran

I was just directed back to page 9 to look at the fan and grille. It looks like an etch then whereas plastic now? That's not a criticism as I know you have to balance fidelity with something commercial.

One other thing. Will the cab interior be full height or say half height to accommodate gears/bogie mounting?

Overall its looking like a great project!

Will

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, dj_crisp said:

Hi Fran

I was just directed back to page 9 to look at the fan and grille. It looks like an etch then whereas plastic now? That's not a criticism as I know you have to balance fidelity with something commercial.

One other thing. Will the cab interior be full height or say half height to accommodate gears/bogie mounting?

Will

Page 9 is just an etch with no retaining ring, now it looks like an etch with a plastic retaining ring.

Roy

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, dj_crisp said:

Hi Fran

Will

Hi Will,

Many thanks for your email.

The fan grille is an etched part. The fan itself is plastic. 

The cab is not full height as the bogie gear towers get in the way ever so slightly, but it is almost full height, 3/4s perhaps the best way to describe it!

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

Page 9 is just an etch with no retaining ring, now it looks like an etch with a plastic retaining ring.

Roy

"With no retaining ring" ?  the circular cross piece ring sitting on top of the mesh looks like a retaining ring to me (on page 9 ) ?

Edited by tractor_37260
amend text
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Class 158 productions said:

Just had a look through the website, noticed the price had dropped, these are becoming increasingly tempting to pre order! 

I'm not sure that the price has dropped, but it appears that the prices being quoted on the first page are exclusive of VAT.  I think when this is added on, the prices are the same as before.

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, Dungrange said:

I'm not sure that the price has dropped, but it appears that the prices being quoted on the first page are exclusive of VAT.  I think when this is added on, the prices are the same as before.

That's what I was just about to say. I the the website has done this before in the past and in fact it always flashed the pre VAT price up before changing to the VAT price so I think it could be the website playing up?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Some post Jan 1st bugs currently being ironed out due to the B word, sorry about that everyone! 

Still, they're excellent value for what you get, but we are a tad biased! 

Cheers!

Fran

I didn't think Bachmann was a banned word? :D

• Funny 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm just catching up on RMWeb, from weeks ago and I have found this lovely Class 37 update. 

Already they are looking superb and their is so much attention to detail, from the radiator and cantrail grilles, to the different bogies for different locos and the different cabs for the different versions. I'm also really impressed with the fuel tanks been more appropriately shaped compared to the Bachmann models, and also with the fact that their isn't noticeable gaps between the bogies and fuel tanks, also alike the Bachmann models. It's all of the details, collectively added together that will make this model the definitive Class 37 that we have all wanted for so long. 

I can't wait to see some livery samples and running videos in the coming months, especially because we desperately need the definitive Class 37 to have more power than the Bachmann version. Whilst the Bachmann version is alright for hauling short trains like FNA wagons they aren't ideal, if suitable at all for hauling ballast, engineers or intermodal trains, all of which DRS Class 37s have worked on, so it will be excellent to finally have the ability to be more diverse with what I can run with your 37s. 

Excellent work as always and we all look forward to seeing further updates in due course. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Accurascale, 

I've just had a thought and I thought I would give it mention on here, as the tooling is progressing for your Class 37. 

I bought some Bachmann 37s a few years ago, which I am running at the moment. Some of them struggle to go around second radius curves with them been tighter and this results in the wheels at each of the ends of the locos catching on the bodyshell, as the locos navigate curves. This slows the speed of the locos down, and they consequently speed back up after they have rounded the curves. It's quite annoying because it just isn't realistic when running them. So I just wanted to ask if you could test and ensure that your Class 37 is able to navigate second radius and other tight curves without such issues been present. I think their just needs to be a bit of gap in between the wheels on the chassis and the four corners of the bodyshell where the four front and rear wheels are. 

Thank you for reading and I hope this makes sense. 

Thank you. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Hi Accurascale, 

I've just had a thought and I thought I would give it mention on here, as the tooling is progressing for your Class 37. 

I bought some Bachmann 37s a few years ago, which I am running at the moment. Some of them struggle to go around second radius curves with them been tighter and this results in the wheels at each of the ends of the locos catching on the bodyshell, as the locos navigate curves. This slows the speed of the locos down, and they consequently speed back up after they have rounded the curves. It's quite annoying because it just isn't realistic when running them. So I just wanted to ask if you could test and ensure that your Class 37 is able to navigate second radius and other tight curves without such issues been present. I think their just needs to be a bit of gap in between the wheels on the chassis and the four corners of the bodyshell where the four front and rear wheels are. 

Thank you for reading and I hope this makes sense. 

Thank you. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

Hi Danny,

The loco has been tested for radius 2 curves.

Thanks,

Fran

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1