Class 37, by Accurascale

1 hour ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Hi Accurascale, 

I've just had a thought and I thought I would give it mention on here, as the tooling is progressing for your Class 37. 

I bought some Bachmann 37s a few years ago, which I am running at the moment. Some of them struggle to go around second radius curves with them been tighter and this results in the wheels at each of the ends of the locos catching on the bodyshell, as the locos navigate curves. This slows the speed of the locos down, and they consequently speed back up after they have rounded the curves. It's quite annoying because it just isn't realistic when running them. So I just wanted to ask if you could test and ensure that your Class 37 is able to navigate second radius and other tight curves without such issues been present. I think their just needs to be a bit of gap in between the wheels on the chassis and the four corners of the bodyshell where the four front and rear wheels are. 

Thank you for reading and I hope this makes sense. 

Thank you. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

Actually that’s the opposite of the way I’d rather go.

2nd radius curves are very trainset , and force models  to have overscale  gaps between body and wheels .

however accura seem to have found a way !

• Agree 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

2nd radius curves are very trainset

Yes but a necessary evil on a lot of layouts. I don't like them but I have had to use them (on scene but in a corner), but I'm presuming loads of people use them either where there's no choice or to gain space off scene.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Danny,

The loco has been tested for radius 2 curves.

Thanks,

Fran

Hi Fran, 

Thank you for the reply and for confirming that. I really appreciate it. 

That's excellent to hear, I'm just hoping to afford the issues I have with some of the Bachmann ones. 

Thank you. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

5 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

2nd radius curves are very trainset , and force models  to have overscale  gaps between body and wheels .

I know what you mean and I hadn't even thought of that it might not be fully prototypical, but I'm thinking of ease when running them and to make them more diverse for a wider variety of layouts. My layout has a variety of curves but some of them are radius two and are therefore tighter, because if I had to have wider curves consistently I would have to remove some of my sidings to store the locos and stock in which wouldn't be ideal. But, as you say at the same time I would like them to be as prototypical as possible. It does appear that way, which as always from Accurascale, is excellent. 

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, rob D2 said:

i’m proud of my 2nd radius, unprotected hanging 1st and Ive probably made a 1/2 radius somewhere.
Add to that gradients even the Swiss would fear.

I love watching detailed scenic layouts, but I love a chaotic layout... my modelling side is having everything to a timetable on a spider network.. that and kit building, repairing and generally noodling about with rtr stock modifications.

if my layout was in Eurovision, it would be Lordi for sure...

but Accurascales passed the test each time.

each to their own.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Yeah , absolutely .

A lot of houses won’t have space for anything more than second radius , it’s another compromise we have to make.

It seems industry standard that diesels will do 2nd radius 

I think your right, actually almost every Loco now says R2.....unless it is a “train set” model or very short wheelbase 0-4-0/0-6-0........I’d have loved to have made R4 the minimum on my roundy roundy but I would have had to move the cinema section of the “playroom” for that, and that’s one compromise I wasn’t willing to have :D

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I have D6702 on order via 'Rails of Sheffield' and will require P4 wheelsets, as I also will with the Finsbury Park later blue livery/white window surround Deltic I also have on order from 'Rails'. Now I realise these will be self fitting but that is not the problem. Since I ordered these models plus wheels there seems to be a lack of info on these replacements as they need to be of the correct diameter. If not, I do have a stock of Ultrascale 3' 7" disc wheels but I would rather not dig into them as yet. 

Edited by harry lamb
Wrong thread. Should have been on 'Deltics'.

• RMweb Premium
On 22/01/2021 at 19:27, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Hi Fran, 

Thank you for the reply and for confirming that. I really appreciate it. 

That's excellent to hear, I'm just hoping to afford the issues I have with some of the Bachmann ones. 

Thank you. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

Hi Danny

Just on those Bachmann 37s you’ve got - sounds like you might have some of the recent ones that had plastic blocks glued inside the gear towers to restrict sideways movement - these can be removed with a screwdriver and they should then work brilliantly round 2nd radius curves! If you take the body off your troublesome loco and compare the insides of the bogie towers to an older one that works fine you can see the two plastic blocks which come away nice and easy - I had to do this in my 37055 and it worked a treat :good_mini:

Going back to Accurascale, looking forward to these, I’m tempted to buy a couple of the triple grey versions, remove the sector branding and add some offset high intensity headlights to recreate some late ‘90s split-box scumbags, exciting times ahead! 

Cheers,

James

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, harry lamb said:

Since I ordered these models plus wheels

How did you manage that, I don’t recall there being an option for wheels when I ordered my Deltics nor can I see anything on the website now if I go to order a 37?

Edited by johndon
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, James Makin said:

Hi Danny

Just on those Bachmann 37s you’ve got - sounds like you might have some of the recent ones that had plastic blocks glued inside the gear towers to restrict sideways movement - these can be removed with a screwdriver and they should then work brilliantly round 2nd radius curves! If you take the body off your troublesome loco and compare the insides of the bogie towers to an older one that works fine you can see the two plastic blocks which come away nice and easy - I had to do this in my 37055 and it worked a treat :good_mini:

Going back to Accurascale, looking forward to these, I’m tempted to buy a couple of the triple grey versions, remove the sector branding and add some offset high intensity headlights to recreate some late ‘90s split-box scumbags, exciting times ahead! 

Cheers,

James

Those blocks also make it much harder to get the body off. No idea what Bachmann thought they were doing!

Roy

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Kylestrome said:

While we're on the subject of wheels (sort of) was it ever mentioned whether the 37s would be easily convertible to wider gauges, ie. EM & P4?

TIA,

David

Yes, several times.

As the product spec says: “RP25-110 profile OO gauge wheels with fine scale ‘drop in’ EM (18.2mm gauge) and P4 (18.83mm gauge) wheels available separately”

Roy

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Kylestrome said:

While we're on the subject of wheels (sort of) was it ever mentioned whether the 37s would be easily convertible to wider gauges, ie. EM & P4?

TIA,

David

Hi David,

All our locos have been designed with ease of EM and P4 conversion in mind.

Cheers!

Fran

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, G567281 said:

Will EM gauge drop-in wheel sets be available from Accurascale for D6700 which I have ordered from Locomotion ?.  Or do we have to regauge the OO scale one’s.  

We hope to offer drop-in wheel set packs for both EM and P4 for both Deltic and the 37s. More details to follow.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Not one to wish list (who am I kidding it’s a wish list) have you considered 37407 Blackpool tower either in the current large logo as it would fit with the models you are producing or even as the trans rail livery?

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Markwj said:

Not one to wish list (who am I kidding it’s a wish list) have you considered 37407 Blackpool tower either in the current large logo as it would fit with the models you are producing or even as the trans rail livery?

Hi @Markwj 

We have announced all the 37s we are doing for run one, but who knows what subsequent runs may bring?

Cheers,

Fran 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Lol - there were 309 Class 37s built. I wonder what the number of combinations of member, livery, name, detail differences there are? Then we could list them all in one post to get the wish listing out of the way :jester:

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Lol - there were 309 Class 37s built. I wonder what the number of combinations of member, livery, name, detail differences there are? Then we could list them all in one post to get the wish listing out of the way :jester:

Roy

I think a million anoraks with a million ipads still wouldn't be able to list everything that has changed over the years :D

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Bucoops said:

I think a million anoraks with a million ipads still wouldn't be able to list everything that has changed over the years

Maybe monkeys would manage better:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-15060310

After Shakespeare, a list of Class 37s should be a piece of cake (or a ripe banana?). :rolleyes:

• RMweb Gold

Stupid question but I was wondering if a second run list being compiled even though the first ones are yet to arrive?  If you are, would you accept realistic suggestions put forward?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

Stupid question but I was wondering if a second run list being compiled even though the first ones are yet to arrive?  If you are, would you accept realistic suggestions put forward?

Please let’s not turn this into a second run wish list. The first batch are still several months away, and everybody has their personal wish, making the list fairly pointless.

Roy

• Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1