Class 37, by Accurascale

The second radius curves Vs the scale wheel body interface problem?

Can I suggest that manufacturers ensure that there is a little vertical movement in the bogies and drive train. Then put a chamfered section in either side of the bogie mounting like was used on the old Hornby APT. Ten as the loco gets to the too tight corners it would raise the body slightly to avoid the wheels catching on the body. 

Just a random idea.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

Sorry to single this out, but before anything grows legs can I just point out that there is no issue with our 37 and second radius curves? 

Cheers!

Fran.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, cheesysmith said:

Sorry, wasn't suggesting your model when I said that. Was actually thinking of the balls up Heljan made of DP2 to fit the needed wheels under the body. It was just the idea came to me whilst reading through the comments regarding R2 curves.

No problem @cheesysmithand I hope I didn’t appear to be a grump! Just sometimes people put 2 and 2 together and all of a sudden something becomes gospel.

Cheers!

Fran

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

No problem @cheesysmithand I hope I didn’t appear to be a grump! Just sometimes people put 2 and 2 together and all of a sudden something becomes gospel.

Cheers!

Fran

As in two 2nd radius curves? :locomotive::P

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Please let’s not turn this into a second run wish list. The first batch are still several months away, and everybody has their personal wish, making the list fairly pointless.

Roy

Too late, I put my request in for 37430 on the second wish list nearly a year ago now.

I put it in the Bachmann 37 back on Jan 18th 2018 !

some day, though by then I may have moved eras.

;-)

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Another of my friends, George is also scanning his slides.  He sent me this one which I think you might like. A good reason to buy three 37s and the hoppers.

image.jpeg.aa559a5ea42f0b582df75a4a63ff5975.jpeg

Photo is copyright George Kennedy and posted here with his agreement.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Talking about the numbers of different 37's including liveries and names etc. I once compiled a database of the 37/4, based on names and liveries and came up with 116 and this isn't up to date by a long short. And that just covers 31 37's. So how many there are when looking at 309 I've no idea, but it's going to be a lot.

Edited by Tony Walker
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Walker said:

Talking about the numbers of different 37's including liveries and names etc. I once compiled a database of the 37/4, based on names and liveries and came up with 116 and this isn't up to date by a long short. And that just covers 31 37's. So how many there are when looking at 309 I've no idea, but it's going to be a lot.

37/4’s are one of those sub fleets where modellers will own more models than there were in the original fleets. In the 1990’s Lima 50’s reached that status too.

When 37/4’s end service, the scrappies will have no chance, they are probably worth more than 68’s.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Can I suggest that manufacturers ensure that there is a little vertical movement in the bogies and drive train. Then put a chamfered section in either side of the bogie mounting like was used on the old Hornby APT. Ten as the loco gets to the too tight corners it would raise the body slightly to avoid the wheels catching on the body. 

Just a random idea.

This was already suggested when AS announced the Deltic way back......I think consensus was it would look odd and AS assured us they had the issue well in hand.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 23/01/2021 at 23:20, James Makin said:

Hi Danny

Just on those Bachmann 37s you’ve got - sounds like you might have some of the recent ones that had plastic blocks glued inside the gear towers to restrict sideways movement - these can be removed with a screwdriver and they should then work brilliantly round 2nd radius curves! If you take the body off your troublesome loco and compare the insides of the bogie towers to an older one that works fine you can see the two plastic blocks which come away nice and easy - I had to do this in my 37055 and it worked a treat :good_mini:

Going back to Accurascale, looking forward to these, I’m tempted to buy a couple of the triple grey versions, remove the sector branding and add some offset high intensity headlights to recreate some late ‘90s split-box scumbags, exciting times ahead! 

Cheers,

James

On 24/01/2021 at 06:57, Roy Langridge said:

Those blocks also make it much harder to get the body off. No idea what Bachmann thought they were doing!

Roy

Hi James and Roy, 

Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention. I really appreciate it. I will definitely have a look at this. Is their a purpose for these two plastic blocks other than to restrict movement and make is more difficult to remove the body? 

I never knew that those plastic blocks were in their or that they could be removed. I removed the bodyshells years ago now to fit the decoders, so I haven't looked at them recently, and most likely when I have done previously I wasn't paying enough attention to notice. 

Just a thought, do you think they will be easy enough to refit, if for example I decide to ever sell any of the models?

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

Danny as far as I know these plastic blocks only affect recent releases - I know I’ve never had issues before but 37012 for example won’t go round my curves. Haven’t tested other recent purchases....

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Hi James and Roy, 

Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention. I really appreciate it. I will definitely have a look at this. Is their a purpose for these two plastic blocks other than to restrict movement and make is more difficult to remove the body? 

I never knew that those plastic blocks were in their or that they could be removed. I removed the bodyshells years ago now to fit the decoders, so I haven't looked at them recently, and most likely when I have done previously I wasn't paying enough attention to notice. 

Just a thought, do you think they will be easy enough to refit, if for example I decide to ever sell any of the models?

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

I’ve not worked out what purpose Bachmann had in mind for them, Danny. I haven’t removed any as my curves don’t require it, so I can’t help there. 

Roy

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Matt said:

Danny as far as I know these plastic blocks only affect recent releases - I know I’ve never had issues before but 37012 for example won’t go round my curves. Haven’t tested other recent purchases....

Thanks for the reply and info Matt. The 37s I am referring to are from 2016 onwards, so that's what made me think that they would be identified as recent releases, regarding the lack of bogie movement going around curves. You will have to let us know how you get on when you test your other 37s. I know that this issue seems to effect a few of mine. 

13 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

I’ve not worked out what purpose Bachmann had in mind for them, Danny. I haven’t removed any as my curves don’t require it, so I can’t help there. 

Roy

Thank you for the reply and no worries Roy. They do seem a strange part to fit, with no seemingly obvious benefits, or positive reasons as why they would be fitted in the first place. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

41 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Thanks for the reply and info Matt. The 37s I am referring to are from 2016 onwards, so that's what made me think that they would be identified as recent releases, regarding the lack of bogie movement going around curves. You will have to let us know how you get on when you test your other 37s. I know that this issue seems to effect a few of mine. 

Thank you for the reply and no worries Roy. They do seem a strange part to fit, with no seemingly obvious benefits, or positive reasons as why they would be fitted in the first place. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

Seem to be removed on the latest seal beam 45s, maybe to reduce noise. Or maybe hold in grease on the worm drive.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, G567281 said:

This is an Accurascale  thread,  not a Bachmann thread.

It would be nice if individuals could respect that.

We live in hope.

The original comment that I posted was directed to the staff at Accurascale. After Accurascale had replied to my comment, a couple of other chaps replied to give me some advice and information regarding an issue with the Bachmann 37s, which was directly related to the original comment that I posted to Accurascale. The original comment that I posted was posted in the hope that Accurascale would acknowledge it, listen to the issue that I mentioned, and take it on board whilst their Class 37 is still in development. Since then they have indeed done that and they have been as helpful as always, as have other members who have given me some useful information about Bachmann 37s which I wasn't aware of. I fully respect Accurascale, their threads and their projects including their Class 37 project, but their was little point in creating a separate thread for the sake of asking one or two questions, when this thread was already started and available to type on. If members alike myself were to do this for every new question or questions that they had, the forum as a whole would soon become full and clogged up, and it would make it difficult for members to find particular topics. Finally, as Accurascale are aiming to produce the definitive Class 37 in OO Gauge, I am sure they are grateful for any questions or queries that myself and others have, considering that they could use this information to potentially make their Class 37 even better. 

I am sure that the staff at Accurascale and other members realise that I was in no way attempting to disrespect them, their company, their threads on this forum, or their projects. I have no reason to do that. 

I am thoroughly looking forward to seeing further tooling and livery samples in the coming weeks and months. These 37s are sure going to be something special. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Evening Accurascale lovelies. Just thought I'd mention this considering nobody appears to have said it already, but...

Are you aware they've finally put branding on 37425?

143402054_180816503818520_60337482123348

(unsure on who took the picture - it's been sent around on social media a few times!)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, JackB95 said:

Evening Accurascale lovelies. Just thought I'd mention this considering nobody appears to have said it already, but...

(unsure on who took the picture - it's been sent around on social media a few times!)

It's on two posts further up. Confirmed they've seen it and will be sorting artwork accordingly :)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 27/01/2021 at 18:45, Craig1989 said:

Will you be putting the rr logo on 37425 as I’ve seen a picture on Facebook with it on now 

5 hours ago, JackB95 said:

Ahhh, all a bit too modern for me. So I'd assumed that RR meant Road Runner.

Regional Railways makes a lot more sense, albeit less exciting. The lack of Wile E. Coyote on the side is a distinct disappointment.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

On 25/01/2021 at 12:50, Kylestrome said:

Maybe monkeys would manage better:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-15060310

After Shakespeare, a list of Class 37s should be a piece of cake (or a ripe banana?). :rolleyes:

Good to see one of my old maths lecturers is still getting quoted on the wireless.

As I'm an OAP  myself, I suppose it's good to know any of my old lecturers is still alive & kicking!

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Good to see one of my old maths lecturers is still getting quoted on the wireless.

As I'm an OAP  myself, I suppose it's good to know any of my old lecturers is still alive & kicking!

And the last sentence sums up the parts of the human internet rather well . . 

After a month the monkeys had produced five pages of the letter "S" and had broken the keyboard.”

;) 

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, truffy said:

Ahhh, all a bit too modern for me. So I'd assumed that RR meant Road Runner.

Regional Railways makes a lot more sense, albeit less exciting. The lack of Wile E. Coyote on the side is a distinct disappointment.

I thought perhaps it had a Rolls Royce engine in it.