Class 37, by Accurascale

• 3 weeks later...

You know centre head code examples had different acoustics to split head codes and then there is the paint colour - blue is sound deadening, so a completely different sound to a green 37.

Don't forget the cowling around the buffers reduced the wheel clatter too.

:D:D

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

You know centre head code examples had different acoustics to split head codes and then there is the paint colour - blue is sound deadening, so a completely different sound to a green 37.

Don't forget the cowling around the buffers reduced the wheel clatter too.

:D:D

You missed the obvious one that oval buffers make a different sound when buffering up ;)

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Some of the Accurascale crew had a right old treat last Friday..........A real credit to the Growler Group.

Fran

Now that could be interpreted somewhat differently! :maninlove:

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Some of the Accurascale crew had a right old treat last Friday at the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire Railway. We were hard at work recording the sound file for our forthcoming 37/0 locomotives, using 37 215 belonging to the Growler Group. What a magnificent beast and so well kept too. A real credit to the Growler Group.

842832444_ImagefromiOS(25).jpg.ab5e4f5d9c88aac824f50a71d4136c35.jpg

2128779283_ImagefromiOS(24).jpg.4114b6af384c6efd9bd62191b8a017fb.jpg

YT6X3587.jpg.b1666416380ee6f5e1a1f94ffc88f7df.jpg

YT6X3582.jpg.0ac1e9572ff949e3d3967ae2760baeae.jpg

YT6X3591.jpg.f80556a79c439a9a580a07aa65825262.jpg

If only we could record the clag too!

We will have a further update on the Class 37s in the coming weeks, and a preview of our sound project so keep an eye out for that! We can report that 215 was in really fine fettle and made for a fantastic subject to record from.

A big and sincere thank you to the Gloucester and Warwickshire Railway and The Growler Group for facilitating us and putting on a great show. Please check out what they do and support them whatever way you can. 

Cheers!

Fran

...and when will this particular prototype get a model...? ;)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

We can report that 215 was in really fine fettle and made for a fantastic subject to record from.

It would maybe make the good subject of a model too! Preserved in BR blue I expect might be a good one.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Someone had a gopro stuck to the front to..

On the front, inside and around and about. But that’s another story...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I notice 37215 has circular buffers without cowling,  37275 has the same, and I’m thinking of modelling 37260,1,2 and they too had this.

Was there a period where cowling was removed, but circular buffers retained rather than ovals fitted, or was there a specific reason / batch / works this applied to ?

Edited by adb968008

9 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I notice 37215 has circular buffers without cowling,  37275 has the same, and I’m thinking of modelling 37260,1,2 and they too had this.

Was there a period where cowling was removed, but circular buffers retained rather than ovals fitted, or was there a specific reason / batch / works this applied to ?

Basically it is a minefield and you really need to find a photo of your particular chosen model. There were examples of cowling/ovals as well as no cowlings/circular buffers (in addition to the more common Cowling/circular and no cowling/ovals) to which was further complicated by whether the headcode was plated or dominoes, examples of both being seen with the above combination. The period 1978-1982 was when most of the above changes were happening and it did vary between works/depots how and when the changes were done. In one of my class 37 books it showed a few examples in works and the cowling removal/headcode plating/change to ovals was being done at the same time but other locos had changes done separately.

37215 when in blue had ovals at no 1 end, circular at number 2 and that wasn't unique, buffers often being swapped due to accident damage at one end only.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, 37114 said:

Basically it is a minefield and you really need to find a photo of your particular chosen model. There were examples of cowling/ovals as well as no cowlings/circular buffers (in addition to the more common Cowling/circular and no cowling/ovals) to which was further complicated by whether the headcode was plated or dominoes, examples of both being seen with the above combination. The period 1978-1982 was when most of the above changes were happening and it did vary between works/depots how and when the changes were done. In one of my class 37 books it showed a few examples in works and the cowling removal/headcode plating/change to ovals was being done at the same time but other locos had changes done separately.

37215 when in blue had ovals at no 1 end, circular at number 2 and that wasn't unique, buffers often being swapped due to accident damage at one end only.

End details as well, like the aforementioned headboard clips, Western Region style lamp brackets. I had my ViTrains one all painted and numbered up before noticing that the example I’d chosen didn’t have the headboard clips, so another example was chosen, and it became the romantically-named “Cardiff Rod Mill”.

I trust Fran took the opportunity to get his tape measure out whilst he was there ;)

Rodders.jpg

Edited by 97406
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Some of the Accurascale crew had a right old treat last Friday at the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire Railway. We were hard at work recording the sound file for our forthcoming 37/0 locomotives, using 37 215 belonging to the Growler Group. What a magnificent beast and so well kept too. A real credit to the Growler Group.

842832444_ImagefromiOS(25).jpg.ab5e4f5d9c88aac824f50a71d4136c35.jpg

2128779283_ImagefromiOS(24).jpg.4114b6af384c6efd9bd62191b8a017fb.jpg

YT6X3587.jpg.b1666416380ee6f5e1a1f94ffc88f7df.jpg

YT6X3582.jpg.0ac1e9572ff949e3d3967ae2760baeae.jpg

YT6X3591.jpg.f80556a79c439a9a580a07aa65825262.jpg

If only we could record the clag too!

We will have a further update on the Class 37s in the coming weeks, and a preview of our sound project so keep an eye out for that! We can report that 215 was in really fine fettle and made for a fantastic subject to record from.

A big and sincere thank you to the Gloucester and Warwickshire Railway and The Growler Group for facilitating us and putting on a great show. Please check out what they do and support them whatever way you can. 

Cheers!

Fran

Ah if we knew you were coming we’d have baked a cake ... 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @russ p,

It is indeed, hence why I stated this is for our Class 37/0 recording. Other 37s will be used for recording too!

Cheers!

Fran

Hi Fran

All the alternator fitted ones sound the same when starting so providing the vacuum exhausters aren't switched on any except a 37/9 could be used for your recording 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Now that could be interpreted somewhat differently! 

15 hours ago, Islesy said:

On the front, inside and around and about. But that’s another story...

As I said.....be very careful :lol:

• RMweb Gold

DCC and sound’s still some way off with me. For now I make the noises myself, so it’s a bit like a cross between a human beatbox and Percy Edwards’ animal impressions from when I were a lad!

Edited by 97406
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, 97406 said:

DCC and sound’s still some way off with me. For now I make the noises myself, so it’s a bit like a cross between a human beatbox and Percy Edwards’ animal impressions from when I were a lad!

Well considering you know who Percy Edwards is I am very surprised you know what a Beatbox is :lol:

• Funny 7