Class 37, by Accurascale

Hi,

Having thought long and hard (helped by the fact that they are delayed to full into next years spending money :) ), I’m going to get the Class 97 in NR, simply because I have a fascination with ETCS!

A tongue in cheek question is that, would a sound fitted example come with the ETCS info / trip / overspeed sounds from the cab? (If we get AWS sounds, I think there should be ETCS sounds as well!) :jester:

Simon

• Like 1

On 06/07/2021 at 15:44, XChris said:

I think it looked better in green and with its skirts and high density light split headcode boxes, Hint Hint!

By the time I first saw 37057 in 2019 the paint was in a horrible state. She looked terrible and despite the loss of the skirts, now looks fantastic in Colas house colours. She is of course now named, which adds to the appeal.

Cheers,

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, 60800 said:

By the time I first saw 37057 in 2019 the paint was in a horrible state. She looked terrible and despite the loss of the skirts, now looks fantastic in Colas house colours. She is of course now named, which adds to the appeal.

Cheers,

whats is it named, I can’t find any reference to it anywhere?

as for the paint, when colas first got it it was a stunner but it started to look ropy toward the end, big chunks of filler falling out and the headcode blinds removed, they used to work but then someone broke them 

37057 in Derby

37057 on Ferme Park Depot

also it’s an awful loco to photograph at night 

37057 fenchurch street skyline

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 08/07/2021 at 00:48, 60800 said:

As someone modelling around 2016, the loco would have still been fairly clean and not in a horrible state, also would be unique for its skirts and high density lights and headcode boxes. Hard to get from any Bachmann or A/S models without major modifications.

Chris

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I’m hoping that 97301 will be a successful model, prompting Accurascale to do 97304 “John Tilley” later on.  I hope they do as I saw it yesterday going through Peterborough at a high rate of knots.

C3709752-194E-44B5-AF14-35E04EB98728.jpeg

B6C73EAD-E35B-483D-93FF-6BC432B58CD4.jpeg

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 09/07/2021 at 16:16, XChris said:

As someone modelling around 2016, the loco would have still been fairly clean and not in a horrible state, also would be unique for its skirts and high density lights and headcode boxes.

It looked good and was in fine fettle in the early 2000’s despite a weathered exterior ;)

2004-07-07 37057 Viking at Reading Triangle

Reading

2004-07-07 37057 Salisbury to Reading (4)

Andover

2004-07-07 37057 Salisbury to Reading (8)

A regular in 2002-4 on test trains

49646B56-AB4E-4D8E-B2A6-348D19BA2AED.jpeg.f7295f5cb34d19ab5aa4437f1b9b068b.jpeg

Salisbury 

Still my favourite loco. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Am I correct in thinking it was said somewhere these will have working roof fans as well?

I hadn’t heard that so went to the Accurascale website to check the spec. It’s not mentioned. I wonder if there might not be consternation in Dublin. “We can’t let ourselves be upstaged by Bachmann! I know! Let’s do a variable speed fan!”

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Am I correct in thinking it was said somewhere these will have working roof fans as well?

not specified in this run but like the 55 provision is made and the functional elements are all there. Hope that helps. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

4 hours ago, McC said:

not specified in this run but like the 55 provision is made and the functional elements are all there. Hope that helps. 

This is very good to hear.

Just to clarify does this mean that there will nothing materially in the body, chassis or PCB that would preclude updating in future (i.e. things like screw lugs for a mechanism in the body, and electrical connections on the PCB).

If Accurascale rolled out this feature on the 37 and 55 in a year or 3, would you consider making retrofit kits for purchasers of the first batches of models? I would happily pay decent money to upgrade my 'first batch' Deltic(s) (and potentially 37s... edging towards ordering at least one!). But I wouldn't sell my existing models to upgrade, especially given running numbers etc will be different on future batches (i.e. you wouldn't be eroding new sales by offering retrofits!!)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

This is very good to hear.

Just to clarify does this mean that there will nothing materially in the body, chassis or PCB that would preclude updating in future (i.e. things like screw lugs for a mechanism in the body, and electrical connections on the PCB).

If Accurascale rolled out this feature on the 37 and 55 in a year or 3, would you consider making retrofit kits for purchasers of the first batches of models? I would happily pay decent money to upgrade my 'first batch' Deltic(s) (and potentially 37s... edging towards ordering at least one!). But I wouldn't sell my existing models to upgrade, especially given running numbers etc will be different on future batches (i.e. you wouldn't be eroding new sales by offering retrofits!!)

the models have been designed with module fitting in mind. Watch this space. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 3

6 minutes ago, McC said:

the models have been designed with module fitting in mind. Watch this space. 

Dare I suggest, even without having this feature from the get go (unlike the Bachmann Brush), your flexable approach means you are STILL one step ahead of the competition. I love this.

EDIT: are the sound chips similarly designed with a space or pre-programmed function for future updates?

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, 55020 said:

This is one Accurascale fan that is not a fan of working fans.   ;)

Just wait until you see them in the flesh. I'm excited at the prospect, and know this will increase when I actually see them.

In response to myself re sound decoders, I had forgotton that (for the Deltic at least, and i presume the 37), there is a sound function for the sound of cooling fans. I would imagine that the decoder is, or can be programed, to map the sound function with control of a fan motor as well, so that no additional function on the decoder is need.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

Just wait until you see them in the flesh. I'm excited at the prospect, and know this will increase when I actually see them.

In response to myself re sound decoders, I had forgotton that (for the Deltic at least, and i presume the 37), there is a sound function for the sound of cooling fans. I would imagine that the decoder is, or can be programed, to map the sound function with control of a fan motor as well, so that no additional function on the decoder is need.

Exactly that. Physically and electronically provision has been made. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

It looked good and was in fine fettle in the early 2000’s despite a weathered exterior ;)

2004-07-07 37057 Viking at Reading Triangle

Reading

2004-07-07 37057 Salisbury to Reading (4)

Andover

2004-07-07 37057 Salisbury to Reading (8)

A regular in 2002-4 on test trains

49646B56-AB4E-4D8E-B2A6-348D19BA2AED.jpeg.f7295f5cb34d19ab5aa4437f1b9b068b.jpeg

Salisbury 

Still my favourite loco. 

One of my favourites too, from when 057 and 114 topped and tailed the Agrevo weedkilling train around North Wales.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scumcat said:

Would it seem a rude question to ask if physically and electronically provision has been made why a working fan isn’t an option when ordering?

Cut them a bit of slack... this is one of the first UK outline locos they are making. They will (we all expect) be industry leading in terms of detail and features (remember drivers instruments are going to be illuminated - even Bachmann are not doing that!).

I recall when this was discussed on the Deltic thread that the comment from Fran or Patrick was that rotating fans would have raised the cost too much (but I hope I'm not mis-remembering). What I read into this is that it was their belief that the market wouldn't have tollerated this and/or the additional fan/no fan option ontop of sound/no sound wasn't practical in terms of the range of models they were offering.

My ignorant guess is that having launched and invited pre-orders at a particular price, it didn't make sense to offer a new option ontop of the existing matrix of options. However during the development period, with market prices shifting and technology developing over the last few years, that it DID make sense to have it as an option in terms of physicals and electronics, for either future batches that would command a higher price and/or retrofit kits for the modeller to fit (which if hinted, is a wonderful wonderful and modeller-friendly idea that others can learn from).

I presume the marginal cost of fitting an extra socket or two on a PCB, and and tooling extra screw lug (or even dual use of existing screw holes securing in the fan detail) is minimal. Also bear in mind the decoder hardware already has that functionality built in, as does, I would imagine, the basic code framework that ESU build the sound project around, so the cost of putting in the 'potential' is next to nill when you are tooling a model from scratch. By contrast, the cost of developing and tooling the gubbins, sourcing/manufacturing and installing motors and gears etc is not. Getting potential = no cost (but max flexability vs modifying tools down the line), getting to end point = cost and commitment.

Bachmann have now shown us that working fans will add around £30 to a model (possibly more for the deltics as 4 fans, maybe less for single fan on a 37). Bear in mind that for a 'vanilla' 37 or 55 that is an extra c.20% ontop of the price.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

G-boaf has nailed it pretty much. 

When originally evaluated, the existing technology was expensive and we felt a £200 dcc ready loco was beyond what customers would find fair. 

With the class 92 (deco sample updates very shortly) we gained huge experience with the motor technology required to seamlessly and silently operate the  pantographs which ended up being translatable into working fans, louvres, vents, you name it. 

We since then retro-tweaked the fittings and sound projects to accommodate a future fan module that may be an option or no cost feature of a very slightly more expensive model in a future run and may well become a standard feature in all the other diesels we are busy making behind the scenes.  We’d hope to offer the fan module to first run customers at cost if it works out. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

6 minutes ago, McC said:

G-boaf has nailed it pretty much. 

When originally evaluated, the existing technology was expensive and we felt a £200 dcc ready loco was beyond what customers would find fair. 

With the class 92 (deco sample updates very shortly) we gained huge experience with the motor technology required to seamlessly and silently operate the  pantographs which ended up being translatable into working fans, louvres, vents, you name it. 

We since then retro-tweaked the fittings and sound projects to accommodate a future fan module that may be an option or no cost feature of a very slightly more expensive model in a future run and may well become a standard feature in all the other diesels we are busy making behind the scenes.  We’d hope to offer the fan module to first run customers at cost if it works out. 

Sorry all I read was "....translatable into working... louvres...a standard features in all the other diesels we are busy making behind the scenes".

So that all but confirms a Class 50 then... :-p

If you are offering fans at cost to existing 55 and 37 customers that is more than anyone could expect.... And you have now almost sold me another Deltic or a first 37.... in that sentence (and yes I appreciate the caveat 'if it works out')

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

If Accurascale can eventually manage working lourves, I think Bachy might need to up their game on their new 47 by including working Serck slats... ;);)

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

22 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

If Accurascale can eventually manage working lourves, I think Bachy might need to up their game on their new 47 by including working Serck slats... ;);)

Maybe.

Getting working motors is one thing, and perhaps the easy thing - getting working louvers and/or slats that both work reliably for thousands of cycles while at the same time not being overscale and horrendous looking (see: Hornby Class 50) and affordable could well be much more difficult.

Time will tell, but best not to get ones hopes up.

• Agree 1