Class 37, by Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
On 10/08/2021 at 12:42, Porcy Mane said:

Not too sure about that. I'll let others decide.

Vi at left, Shawplan centre and latest Bachmann body at right.

483269341_37ScreenComps-003-EditSm.jpg.c7cc9f9dfa02ef730cfcac4619f3d385.jpg

Well, I have been experimenting with a set of Shawplan screens with the backplate, and the Bachmann 37 screens are noticably shallower than the retooled 40. The outer windows of the retooled 40 are ever-so-slightly wide of the mark too, but not by much.  

The 40 to the right in the pic is a Frankenstein’s monster, mainly Lima, but with Bachmann 37 cabs, and the screens are definitely shallower. It will be getting the Shawplan screens with the backing plate (currently on order from Brian).

Using a spare body and a set that I had in, I found the best way for me is to cut the lower part of the backing plate off and solder the screens to said plate and sit the whole assembly on the top of the bonnet (the existing moulded bars will be removed and the aperture widened). I’ll glue and fill using Superglue and activator a la Barrowmore’s class 40s. Will post a pic when done, and there’s a chance that the Bachmann retools may get done too.DSCF0218.JPG.3908e08ae5e9b4cffd087f4cc3d95f00.JPG

Edited by 97406
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

The proof is in the pudding, so to speak. It is looking like the Shawplan screens will get rolled out to the rest of my 37 and 40 fleet, now. At least my existing fleet will look good by my new Accurascale acquisitions. 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/163953-shawplan-extreme-etch-class-3740-windscreen-advice/&do=findComment&comment=4549668

Anyhow enough of my thread hijack now! :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Question. I have found a photo of 37003 in blue, skirts and dominos working a passenger train in the 70s in Sheffield. Would the version being made be suitable for renumbering?

37001 should be the one …. It has the correct basic configuration But check your photo to ensure details are correct eg boiler, handrails on nose 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Question. I have found a photo of 37003 in blue, skirts and dominos working a passenger train in the 70s in Sheffield. Would the version being made be suitable for renumbering?

Hi @cheesysmith,

It's a bit difficult to tell without seeing your picture, but 37001 should be good up until 1975 or thereabouts, after which they started losing their water filler doors and steps in the bodysides.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

It sure if this has been announced anywhere on here yet. 

5EE1754E-E9F4-4E51-B902-F33E1FAAECC2.png

I like the fact that the nameplates are a separate entity. It lets you model this locomotive as it was when it was converted in late 1988, rather then restricting it to its preserved identity.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

It sure if this has been announced anywhere on here yet. 

5EE1754E-E9F4-4E51-B902-F33E1FAAECC2.png

Well that has made my decision as to which ones to go for a bit more difficult! I currently have 423, 425 and 608 on order but was considering another/swapping 423 for something else and I expect this could be it!

Link here too:

https://www.heavytractorgroup.org/product-page/limited-edition-37-714-accurascale-oo-gauge-model

Edited by TomScrut

One from a non-RMweb friend who is putting in a pre-order as we speak. Is the model of 37714 due in 2022 or 2023?

There seems to be conflicting information between the Hornby Magazine press release (https://www.keymodelworld.com/article/htg-launches-exclusive-oo-class-377) saying 2022 and the Heavy Tractor Group page for pre-order (https://www.heavytractorgroup.org/product-page/limited-edition-37-714-accurascale-oo-gauge-model) saying both 2022 and 2023 (page 23 but image 22).

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, motorcat said:

Could 37714 be renumbered to any other 37/5 or 37/7? Would be quite easy if 714 doesn't come with fitted with the nameplate and depot plaque.

There'll be other identities that are candidates for direct renumbering or a little bit of work added (bare in mind the plated side window restricts) - with my cheapy old Bachmann ones I've been rebuilding the roof detail to get certain combinations so it all depends on how much fiddling you want to do!

Plus also you never know if there's more general-release 37 'Heavyweights' coming alongside this Ltd Edition too to save you a renumber! Knowing my luck all the rebuild jobs I've done on the Bachmann ones will be coming RTR :lol:

Cheers,

James

• Thanks 1

A very nice announcement - I think a 37/7 is too tempting to resist! Look forward to seeing the sample of the /7 and some /5s in the future ;) 

52 minutes ago, motorcat said:

Could 37714 be renumbered to any other 37/5 or 37/7? Would be quite easy if 714 doesn't come with fitted with the nameplate and depot plaque.

37/5s won’t be possible from any 37/7 as the bodyside steps/windows were plated over. One for Fran to confirm but I think all 37/7s would be ok as they all have riveted roofs? Nose grilles may vary though depending on era - see pic below from Flickr compared with 714’s nose grilles:

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

We were happy to help the HTG group with this commission after they helped us out as part of our extensive surveying and sound recording. This will arrive in late 2022, early 2023 and will not be part of our first batch of Class 37s to be delivered. So, make of that what you will.... 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

We were happy to help the HTG group with this commission after they helped us out as part of our extensive surveying and sound recording. This will arrive in late 2022, early 2023 and will not be part of our first batch of Class 37s to be delivered. So, make of that what you will.... 

Cheers!

Fran 

Ooohhhhh......intriguing!

Batch 2 then!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Our tame Class 37 expert/project manager has provided the following info which you may find useful...

No. 37714 was built as D6724 by EE at Vulcan Foundry so has standard cantrail grilles and the early double-riveted roof. On conversion to a Class 37/7 'heavyweight' it lost its headcode boxes and received plated nose doors (although it had these anyway), plated bodyside windows and steps, replacement welded long-range fuel tanks and replacement single-piece nose grilles at each corner. Just three other locomotives share this exact configuration of details, Nos. 37709, 37715 and 37719

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 09/08/2021 at 09:06, PaulRhB said:

It looked good and was in fine fettle in the early 2000’s despite a weathered exterior ;)

2004-07-07 37057 Viking at Reading Triangle

Reading

2004-07-07 37057 Salisbury to Reading (4)

Andover

2004-07-07 37057 Salisbury to Reading (8)

A regular in 2002-4 on test trains

49646B56-AB4E-4D8E-B2A6-348D19BA2AED.jpeg.f7295f5cb34d19ab5aa4437f1b9b068b.jpeg

Salisbury 

Still my favourite loco. 

Lovely set of [nostalgic] pictures. The first one (worm's eye view), is very handy as it nicely shows the way the skirt  and nose taper and transition their shape to the main bodyside. A tricky area to accurately recreate.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jools1959 said:

If Accurascale do 37716 in current DRS livery within a possible second batch, I’d bite their hands off.

tbh, any 37 in the latest DRS 'swoosh' (?) livery would be a big seller I think - know I'd get at least one even if its not in service any longer! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2