Class 37, by Accurascale

2 hours ago, mdvle said:

Getting working motors is one thing, and perhaps the easy thing - getting working louvers and/or slats that both work reliably for thousands of cycles while at the same time not being overscale and horrendous looking (see: Hornby Class 50) and affordable could well be much more difficult.

Time will tell, but best not to get ones hopes up.

Agreed - it's surely in a similar zone as working sliding doors on passenger stock, ie. a nice thought, but just how practical is it realistically, and is the technology there to manufacture such features reliably and consistently over many production batches.

• RMweb Gold

Working fans, louvres, sweet trollies, holographic drivers, are right at the bottom of my list of ‘must haves’. All I want is something that looks accurate when put on the layout, or on the mantlepiece by my favorite armchair. Even when viewed from close quarters, which the new 37 looks to do with considerable finesse. The new Bachmann 47 looks great, but the cost is too high, and I ended up getting 2 Vitrains ones with a hundred quid to spare. I’ll spend a little more on detailing, Lazerglaze and paint and there’s 2 locos that look very close to the real thing. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, 97406 said:

The new Bachmann 47 looks great, but the cost is too high, and I ended up getting 2 Vitrains ones with a hundred quid to spare. 

Something that a week ago, we didn't know existed, has - judging by your claim above - effectively forced you to acquire a pair of 47s from another source. 

This is an incredible piece of sales psychology that's left me shaking my head. 

Perhaps if I salivate over an advert  for a £3,900.00 bottle of Dom Perignon Champagne for a couple of hours, I'll 'end up' popping to Londis for two bottles of Schloer.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

Something that a week ago, we didn't know existed, has - judging by your claim above - effectively forced you to acquire a pair of 47s from another source. 

Perhaps if I salivate over an advert  for a £3,900.00 bottle of Dom Perignon Champagne for a couple of hours, I'll 'end up' popping to Londis for two bottles of Schloer.

Just wait until you see the contents of my sweet trolley. Especially after the cancelled preorder for 47435.

• Funny 1

50 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

I'd enjoy the Schloer more... and I hate Schloer.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, 97406 said:

Working fans, louvres, sweet trollies, holographic drivers, are right at the bottom of my list of ‘must haves’. All I want is something that looks accurate when put on the layout, or on the mantlepiece by my favorite armchair. Even when viewed from close quarters, which the new 37 looks to do with considerable finesse. The new Bachmann 47 looks great, but the cost is too high, and I ended up getting 2 Vitrains ones with a hundred quid to spare. I’ll spend a little more on detailing, Lazerglaze and paint and there’s 2 locos that look very close to the real thing. 

I have a soft spot for my Vitrains 37s and 47s. That is, once I got over trying to fit all the accessories, many of which didn’t fit. I think it’s a shame that they pulled out of the UK market.

I do like the modules approach though. At the end of the day we all like different gimics and some people will find it great.

I've glued shut working doors, replaced working louvres, glued and chopped rotating axles, removed "working" fans etc... so you can see which side of the fence I'm on.  My gimic is lighting and no manufacturer has got this spot on imo so end up replacing this.

I'd much prefer improved etches and glazing on par with Shawplan. It's probably not commercial or practical but they make more of a difference imo. I'm looking forward to seeing your 37s face in the flesh to assess whether you'll be the first to get the front glazing right. I'd happily pay more for etched frames and laserglaze fitted here.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

I have a soft spot for my Vitrains 37s and 47s. That is, once I got over trying to fit all the accessories, many of which didn’t fit. I think it’s a shame that they pulled out of the UK market.

They’re great. The 37 benefits from the Shawplan windscreens and the 47 for its time was brilliant, though the glazing is very prismatic. All great fun to rectify if you have the time and inclination, though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, dj_crisp said:

I'm looking forward to seeing your 37s face in the flesh to assess whether you'll be the first to get the front glazing right. I'd happily pay more for etched frames and laserglaze fitted here.

To be fair, the latest Bachmann 37 and 40’s front windscreen compares very well to the Shawplan etch. However the Accurascale 37 has the grommets and the subtle recess around the windscreens, so it is the next level and I have one on order (and paid for), so it will be a nice treat when it comes. I went for the Large Logo splitbox one.

Edited by 97406
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 97406 said:

They’re great. The 37 benefits from the Shawplan windscreens and the 47 for its time was brilliant, though the glazing is very prismatic. All great fun to rectify if you have the time and inclination, though.

Pride of the fleet are the two DRS 47s commissioned by Sutton’s in Rail Exclusive guise. They run beautifully and roar impressively. Removing my rose-coloured spectacles, I have to admit that the unpainted red bufferbeams with moulded cosmetic couplings are a bit below par. I’m getting round to tackling them. :D

• Like 1

10 hours ago, scumcat said:

Why be so rude to me? My question was not directed at you. I was asking the accurascale guys who frequent this thread a genuine question, 

My sincere apologies for a) butting in and b) taking what could be construed as an aggressive or rude tone. It was a long day and i was over-excited about fans. Hope no lasting offence taken.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Any news on when the 37s are to be expected?

An update will be detailed soon when final decorated samples for this run are in hand. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, 55020 said:

This is one Accurascale fan that is not a fan of working fans.   ;)

Me too I am afraid, unless they can be made silent (and very slowly rotating, otherwise you just cannot see it rotating) the type on the Heljan 7mm diesels use a mechanism so noisy it’s ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, 97406 said:

To be fair, the latest Bachmann 37 and 40’s front windscreen compares very well to the Shawplan etch.

Not too sure about that. I'll let others decide.

Vi at left, Shawplan centre and latest Bachmann body at right.

483269341_37ScreenComps-003-EditSm.jpg.c7cc9f9dfa02ef730cfcac4619f3d385.jpg

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

unless they can be made silent (and very slowly rotating, otherwise you just cannot see it rotating) 

I'm sure the accurascale boys will have fan motor noise  sorted to an acceptable level. "If I can do it, etc."

With a bit of help from DCC and some 50p circuitry, this fan runs a good bit slower now than shown in the vid. With two tiny triangles of metal cut away from the chassis it  happily sits inside a VI trains 37. Only single speed though.

This more sophisticated installation (apologies for posting it again) now has DCC auto controlled, two speed and stop and is synchronised with the fan sound.

Today's gimmick is tomorrows normality  (must have).

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

57 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

483269341_37ScreenComps-003-EditSm.jpg.c7cc9f9dfa02ef730cfcac4619f3d385.jpg

I was going to do all my 37s and 40s, but just stuck to doing the older 40s after overlaying a set of Shawplan etches on my Bachmann 40143 (was 40142). The match was very close shape wise, and the glazing arguably more flush on the Bachmann windscreens than was practical with the Shawplan etch. The earlier Bachmann 40s are out by some degree so got Shawplan etches, and Lima bodies (D200, the centre headcode 40160 in this pic). 

Five forties.jpg

Here’s a Vitrains 37 with Shawplan windscreens, though I was unaware of the backing plates at the time I did this (and my 40s). I got some better horns and weathered it after this pic was taken.

image.png.1cb2f676c4c6be974501621476eb445e.png

Look forward to seeing how your 37 turns out. Excuse the edits, I was having fun trying to post off my iPad, so went up and finished things off on the big computer upstairs.

Edited by 97406
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

My gimic is lighting and no manufacturer has got this spot on imo so end up replacing this.

Lighting is one of the most obvious things when a loco is speeding round a layout IMO so is something I treat with high importance.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

So one of the reasons I have one 37 on order is this painting that used to hang on the wall of my adopted Grandfather. I know that Accurascale are making this loco in its modern guise, wondering if anyone might be able to date (roughly) when the loco was in this condition? 

(And please Fran, batch two?) :lol:

B8DBCFA0-0BE9-435C-A997-EBFC643FB1C7.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gremlin99 said:

So one of the reasons I have one 37 on order is this painting that used to hang on the wall of my adopted Grandfather. I know that Accurascale are making this loco in its modern guise, wondering if anyone might be able to date (roughly) when the loco was in this condition? 

(And please Fran, batch two?) :lol:

B8DBCFA0-0BE9-435C-A997-EBFC643FB1C7.jpeg

1986 to about 1990(?)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

A better pic of the buckets. Shawplan in the middle. What I think looks better with your work in progress is the backing plate. Also Bachmann provided an indication of the rubber grommets on the glazing itself, which makes the windows a touch too small. I have since acquired a set of Shawplan screens with backing plates, along with bits of Lima 40 and a spare Bachmann 37 body (better cab and nose shape than the Lima 40), so they will all get assembled at some point. The other 40s and 37s look close enough to me for now at least! 

DSCF0218.JPG

• Like 3