60015 Hornby have done it again

owentherail

• RMweb Gold

Hmm I'd tend to agree having had a look of photos of the model on Hattons website. It would appear the large blue square should not be aligned to the orange cantrail. And there should be a small gap.

Nevertheless I'm still going to buy one once they come into stock at my local shop.  Side on photo from Flickr..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pedro32 said:

Hmm I'd tend to agree having had a look of photos of the model on Hattons website. It would appear the large blue square should not be aligned to the orange cantrail. And there should be a small gap.

Nevertheless I'm still going to buy one once they come into stock at my local shop.  Side on photo from Flickr..

Well found, did look for pic but so many of it in DB red, model pic just didn't look right on web site. 

Do you think Hornby will do an exchange service for replacement bodyshells in the future like Dapol did for their Class 68s?? Not holding out for it!

A lot of the misalignment can be covered with a replacement set a little lower, but there's certainly a bit nearest the orange cantrail stripe that needs to come off completely without damaging the underlying grey...

Edited by jimmythebreeze
Expanded point

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, 66738 said:

Is it me or does the dark grey look too dark? From memory they have previously done this with a class 56 I think?

The grey was very greenish on some of the earlier versions, I remember it being way off on two Transrail versions I got. Luckily I was going to repaint them to original sector liveries.

Having looked at the Hattons photos I would say that the greys look better than on the Transrail ones I had. The construction logo is indeed in the wrong place. Sloppy.

Edited by BR Blue
  • Agree 1

Can't believe how they keep getting things so wrong.

Fabulous models let down by stupid livery errors.  60 090 in Trainload Coal had an almost black roof and an upper grey band that was far too dark.  It didn't stop me buying one but it's annoying having to do partial repaints.

Why can't they spend a relatively small amount of money and bring in a proper livery expert for a day or two on a consultancy basis to check livery samples and advise adjustments before telling the factory to go ahead with production?

• Agree 4

3 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

How have they managed this?

Either the light/medium grey divide lines up with either the top of the bottom square or bottom of the top square, depending on application.

This one is neither.

Looking at Hattons' photos, the logo as depicted on the graphic on the box sleeve is positioned correctly!

So presumably Hornby's design team got it right - but when the actual model comes out of the factory it's wrong!

Now I'm probably being too simplistic here but....why don't they send the whole lot back to China and get them to do it properly?

Wouldn't we all prefer to wait a few more months to get a model which is correct?

• Like 2

The same thing happened with the Intercity executive HST power cars the box showed correct white Intercity 125 but models had Incorrect sliver Intercity 125. Hornby do seem to have issues getting liveries correct on modern image models I remember one year they released a class 31,56 and class 60 all in triple grey and each one had different shades of grey with the 31 being the only correct one as they had used livery details from Rail express ltd coal 31 and change sector to construction but why the same shades were not applied across range is anyone's guess?

• Agree 2

Goodness me what a howler. Looks like the whole logo has been applied too high up the bodyside - from the photos I've seen of the real thing, the base of the solid blue square should be aligned with the divide between the two shades of grey - its well above it on the model. I was debating whether to buy this having been waiting for it for a while - not so sure now and removing a decal that size and re-applying could be fun and games. 

• Agree 1

It’s not even as if they are like Lima chucking out 10 new diesels a month is it ? I’d contact Simon Kohler ,he’d be very interested. Couldn’t see a problem with the pre production shots, but I certainly see it on the real thing .

im still waiting for 31102 in BR blue, let’s hope they can’t mess up blue...

Edited by rob D2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes its completely wrong.

To fix it you need to remove the whole logo, as a transfer will show the mis-aligned square boxes underneath it too...

note the yellow /blue squares are aligned to the change in grey, when in reality change in grey cut through the middle of the squares.

heres the hattons image..

R3743_3463507_Qty1_1.jpg

The “F” is meant to align to break in the two greys, not to the roof line.

0A926E66-B63D-4CB5-B2B9-3F0804FE17BB.jpeg.603e855e63d5ab8039087874a6a56703.jpeg

Heres a few, including 60015+60016 literally on their brand new first days to service (sent to Springs Branch).

looking at the Roof Horns, these look to be wrongly aligned also, but looks like they can be adjusted.

C63C5EC8-7CD0-42C6-89EA-E23C647ABAE1.jpeg

738BB58D-C4C6-4AED-9322-079000033ED6.png

7C85D2DE-8763-4419-B2AE-6445FEA30739.jpeg

i’m travelling today but I have the official BR Railfreight livery spec sheet for all BR classes at home I can post the class 60 one when I get back.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Looks like the position of the tampo printing of the logo has been set up incorrectly. I really would like to think that Hornby signed off on a correct livery sample and the factory made the mistake on the production run. If so it really should have been picked up by quality assurance in the factory after the first few bodyshells were printed. Once here, Hornby should I agree have rejected the whole lot as not to spec., except don't the models go directly to the distributor rather than via Hornby? If so, you'd expect Hornby to get some production samples air freighted first to check.

Edited by brushman47544
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'm wondering how easy it would be to remove the logo using the normal meths or t-cut on a cotton bud method given the proximity to the orange cant rail stripe? I wouldn't fancy my chances-and redoing a cant rail stripe and making it look good is always challenging-at least for someone of my skill level! 

1 hour ago, philiprporter said:

I'm wondering how easy it would be to remove the logo using the normal meths or t-cut on a cotton bud method given the proximity to the orange cant rail stripe?! 

Sometimes easy, but usually tricky!  Whatever method is used removal always leaves a shiny patch.  So then you have to spray it with a matt or satin varnish to cure that. Grrrr.

In the past when I've done renumbering etc I usually wait for a good long time to ensure a loco is mechanically fault free before starting work to preserve the manufacturers warranty. But that's my choice to renumber.

But glaring livery errors are a different matter. I don't fancy tackling this one actually so I'll be giving it a miss.  Which is a shame as I really like 60s.

Another sale lost - sorry Hornby - you really must get get the basic livery right, colour shades and decals.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, cravensdmufan said:

Sometimes easy, but usually tricky!  Whatever method is used removal always leaves a shiny patch.  So then you have to spray it with a matt or satin varnish to cure that. Grrrr.

In the past when I've done renumbering etc I usually wait for a good long time to ensure a loco is mechanically fault free before starting work to preserve the manufacturers warranty. But that's my choice to renumber.

But glaring livery errors are a different matter. I don't fancy tackling this one actually so I'll be giving it a miss.  Which is a shame as I really like 60s.

Another sale lost - sorry Hornby - you really must get get the basic livery right, colour shades and decals.

Yes that's my fear - normally I wouldn't have an issue removing a number or nameplate or even something larger and re-applying and re-spraying where needed, but the proximity of the cant rail strip to the area needing decal removal means I also don't fancy this job. A bit gutted as I've wanted a bog standard triple grey 60 for ages - I'm hoping Hornby may rectify this on subsequent batches? Having said this, I'm assuming they are aware of the error? May try and mention it at Warley and hopefully not cause offence. 

• Like 1

How do they keep making such basic livery errors?

QC control is pretty poor here / non existant

surely an error as glaring as this should never have got through but now it has how do you fix it?

do we vote with our wallets and not buy any?

hope that Hornby realise the error and recall the batch?

We really shouldn’t have to start trying to amend a livery error on a £160 loco, especially given the chances are the main body colours will be damage by removing the misplaced printing

• Agree 3

What a shocker!

Clearly a printing error as the original sector locos had a very strict livery alignment to keep them all standard. 

I've removed a number of 60 mainline logos and have a 50:50 success rate. I won't be taking this one on!

• Agree 2

Another sale lost here. Was looking forward to it, but it just looks too wrong. But, luckily  today I just happen to have come across a R2747 60062 Samuel Johnson in Petroleum for £89.99, so snapped that up extremely quickly before it was spotted by someone else. To my eye it looks very good. Could anyone confirm if Hornby got that one correct? 
cheers

1 hour ago, 66738 said:

Another sale lost here. Was looking forward to it, but it just looks too wrong. But, luckily  today I just happen to have come across a R2747 60062 Samuel Johnson in Petroleum for £89.99, so snapped that up extremely quickly before it was spotted by someone else. To my eye it looks very good. Could anyone confirm if Hornby got that one correct? 

I think its the only accurate one in terms of the triple grey shades but the logo is wrong, more upside down Metals than Petroleum, easy enough to fix though.  Its certainly my go to for triple grey 60s but they aren't easy to find these days.

• Thanks 1