60015 Hornby have done it again

owentherail

Just now, BritishRail60062 said:

I am now confused. So if I have this right. Does that mean that Hornby are going to do a recall of the unsold models? Or do we have to send our model into Hornby for them to patch it after buying it from the retailer? Can someone help me out on this please?

I don't think anyone knows the answer to this yet - I suspect that some sort of official confirmation will come from Hornby at some stage given that they are aware of the issue. I'm holding off buying one until things are clarified. 

• Like 2

Just now, philiprporter said:

I don't think anyone knows the answer to this yet - I suspect that some sort of official confirmation will come from Hornby at some stage given that they are aware of the issue. I'm holding off buying one until things are clarified. 

Same here mate. As much as I want one of those models. I am holding off buying one until the issue is fixed because apart from the logo being wrong. It is a cracking model and I wish to remake one as 60001 "Steadfast" which has an identical logo if I recall right?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BritishRail60062 said:

Same here mate. As much as I want one of those models. I am holding off buying one until the issue is fixed because apart from the logo being wrong. It is a cracking model and I wish to remake one as 60001 "Steadfast" which has an identical logo if I recall right?

Yep one of Hornby's best and I am itching to get my hands on a couple and install sound - which is why it's slightly frustrating that the logo issue exists. Hopefully a rapid solution will be sorted and the credit card can then take a pounding! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

New bodies would be a great step forwards, if they didn't put any logo at all, not only would it be accurate, but it would open up a world of possibilities !.. i’d be in the hook for a good few then... Coal, Petroleum, Aggregates, Steel, Transrail !

re 60001 Steadfast above, yes 100% accurate using 60015.

But I will put my money where my mouth is for an accurate aggregates one.. 60015/6 spent time around Springs Branch as a kid (I saw them new on delivery)... others included 60006 Great Gable and 60009 which spent an eternity on the Manchester Binliners one year...

1505F00B-E3E4-473C-9EC4-EE2588251C17.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

I, like many others, was astonished and so disappointed that Hornby had made such a schoolboy error with the logos on the new 60.

I came in off the long run and sent an email complaint to Hornby via their website.

I received a reply 25/11/2019 from Hornby which stated "We will be having replacement bodies manufactured so that we can correct the product." They are currently liaising with their factory to establish timelines.

I have not come across any announcement from Hornby Towers, or noted any other such confirmation on here, so I hope this is of use.

I have cancelled the order with TMC for the loco, sound fitting and weathering, and received a full refund. All told, just shy of £350. This is a lot of money for me, and thus Hornby's incompetence has implications for not just their customers but also retailers.

When Hornby produce a correct product I will proceed with the order, as I look forward to running a 60 in the home strip of Peak Forest that I photographed on many occasions.

Ian.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I'm worried about Hornby's apparent shift in wheel standards.

My recent Gresley suburbans have wheels that are only 2.5 mm wide and only 14.25 mm B-B. That doesn't match any RTR  HO standard that I know of.  It certainly doesn't bode well for reliable running on RTR HO track.

Andy

On 03/12/2019 at 16:10, Andy Reichert said:

I'm worried about Hornby's apparent shift in wheel standards.

My recent Gresley suburbans have wheels that are only 2.5 mm wide and only 14.25 mm B-B. That doesn't match any RTR  HO standard that I know of.  It certainly doesn't bode well for reliable running on RTR HO track.

Andy

Did you mean to post that in a topic about class 60s ?

i just wish they’d push a few more out - like a rerun of EWS which is becoming hard to find on eBay at decent prices.

i guess they have only so many slots on the China plastic machines though 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Did you mean to post that in a topic about class 60s ?

i just wish they’d push a few more out - like a rerun of EWS which is becoming hard to find on eBay at decent prices.

i guess they have only so many slots on the China plastic machines though 

EWS would be good and also a vote here for one that would never be jazzy enough for Hornby - plain unbranded grey and nameless - i.e the forgotten reality of what you actually saw when you went out trainspotting in the late 90s after the gorgeous brandings were removed and the nameplates stolen - you got some boring plain triple grey dump turn up - now that would be a most useful model!

Cheers,

James

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, James Makin said:

EWS would be good and also a vote here for one that would never be jazzy enough for Hornby - plain unbranded grey and nameless - i.e the forgotten reality of what you actually saw when you went out trainspotting in the late 90s after the gorgeous brandings were removed and the nameplates stolen - you got some boring plain triple grey dump turn up - now that would be a most useful model!

Cheers,

James

It sounds like Hornby are going to be having lots of 60015 bodies with incorrect logos so, if they make them available, a cocktail stick and T cut* will provide you with a cheap unbranded body.

* other forms of logo removal are available.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, royaloak said:

It sounds like Hornby are going to be having lots of 60015 bodies with incorrect logos so, if they make them available, a cocktail stick and T cut* will provide you with a cheap unbranded body.

Good luck with that, I’m not sure I’d try it again on a 60, their grey is a bit thin

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, royaloak said:

Never tried it on a Hornby 60 so dont know hence the * in the post.

Wonder how much it’d cost the ship the lot back to China, strip and respray otherwise I’m sure any profit would be wiped out from these models 

4 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Wonder how much it’d cost the ship the lot back to China, strip and respray otherwise I’m sure any profit would be wiped out from these models 

I suppose it depends if its Hornbys fault for specifying the logo in the wrong place (unlikely) or whether the Factory failed to apply the logo as Hornby specified (no comment).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, royaloak said:

Be great if Hornby let the 60015 owners keep the dodgy bodyshells for their own uses, assuming they do replacements, it’d definitely make it a better value purchase!

I’ve rebranded quite a lot of ‘60’s, enamel thinners & cotton buds are my preference (see my workbench thread!) but it’d be great fun for them to consider an average everyday-condition workhorse grey ‘60’, so many of them lost their sector branding soon after privatisation that it’d be such a useful model! Also means Hornby has one less logo to line up correctly ;):lol:

Cheers,

James

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Better to remove the incorrect ones from the market.

They are going to be a bit of a pain to correct the logos (been there and done that), even if you get the logo off, your putting the orange cantrail at risk.

if you put a logo over the top, the old will show under.

Lima had this issue once, they resprayed grey over the logo, then applied a new logo.. I guess the same solution would apply here, but thats not for the inexperienced.

if they do new shells, swap old for new, but they may at least want to save horns, grills, headlights & interiors.

old shells will really only be good for resprays, but without a chassis there a bit nebulous.

When Hornby re-did 34050’s tender, they took the old ones back.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Better to remove the incorrect ones from the market.

They are going to be a bit of a pain to correct the logos (been there and done that), even if you get the logo off, your putting the orange cantrail at risk.

if you put a logo over the top, the old will show under.

Lima had this issue once, they resprayed grey over the logo, then applied a new logo.. I guess the same solution would apply here, but thats not for the inexperienced.

if they do new shells, swap old for new, but they may at least want to save horns, grills, headlights & interiors.

old shells will really only be good for resprays, but without a chassis there a bit nebulous.

When Hornby re-did 34050’s tender, they took the old ones back.

For 34050, Hornby reworked stock they had, and supplied new shells to those who purchased the models supplied to retailers. There was no recall of retailer or customer stock, and old bodies were not sent back by the customer

On 03/12/2019 at 19:40, Ian Stewart said:

I, like many others, was astonished and so disappointed that Hornby had made such a schoolboy error with the logos on the new 60.

I came in off the long run and sent an email complaint to Hornby via their website.

I received a reply 25/11/2019 from Hornby which stated "We will be having replacement bodies manufactured so that we can correct the product." They are currently liaising with their factory to establish timelines.

I have not come across any announcement from Hornby Towers, or noted any other such confirmation on here, so I hope this is of use.

I have cancelled the order with TMC for the loco, sound fitting and weathering, and received a full refund. All told, just shy of £350. This is a lot of money for me, and thus Hornby's incompetence has implications for not just their customers but also retailers.

When Hornby produce a correct product I will proceed with the order, as I look forward to running a 60 in the home strip of Peak Forest that I photographed on many occasions.

Ian.

Not necessarily Hornby's fault. The artwork was correct, it could be an issue at the factory in China. Hornby are taking steps to correct the models.

Can we be thankful for it? Or is that too hard? We don't even know why the logo ended up being wrong. QC is done in China by the factory.

Let's not speculate and bash Hornby who are indeed taking steps to correct the error. No one has lost money unless they don't want to send the models back. 

• Agree 2

A couple of points come to mind.

1 - Surely QC in UK should have picked it up.

2 - Best for Hornby to admit the mistake, and make an announcement regarding rectification themselves.

3 - If they were to do number 2.  A goodwill gesture of permitting people to keep the old bodies would probably go down well, and enable modellers to keep running any purchased models in the interim.  They could regulate any claims as bona-fide by either supplying the original traders, or by asking modellers to send in either the small white sticker off the backs of boxes, or via sending in the coloured card front sleeve, or even dare I suggest, cut off and send in the description end of it, and then upon return, send out new sleeves as well.

Regards,

C.

• Agree 3

19 minutes ago, dogbox321 said:

2 - Best for Hornby to admit the mistake, and make an announcement regarding rectification themselves.

3 - If they were to do number 2.  A goodwill gesture of permitting people to keep the old bodies would probably go down well, and enable modellers to keep running any purchased models in the interim.  They could regulate any claims as bona-fide by either supplying the original traders, or by asking modellers to send in either the small white sticker off the backs of boxes, or via sending in the coloured card front sleeve, or even dare I suggest, cut off and send in the description end of it, and then upon return, send out new sleeves as well.

Regards,

C.

You are assuming that there is QC in the UK. Hornby have been working on the basis of QA for years. 

Secondly, Hornby are going to the expense of having new bodies made. The locos don't have the old fashioned white cover in the box, so you would have to cut up the larger outer sleeve. Hornby are not going to go to the expense of replacing that, so that idea won't work. There used to be this thing that people called a "receipt". I believe that either one of those, or an invoice, is still accepted in some places as proof of purchase....

16 hours ago, dogbox321 said:

Regards,

C.

Regarding #2

Hornby is aware of the problem. The problem itself has many solutions to it. Let them decide what's the best solution, set a date with the factory in China and then make a formal announcement when they know for sure how long it's going to take and what's the ETA on it?

If they make a premature announcement, you'll have more moaners getting in on the action.

Edited by MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Straight up, that was actually Hornby themselves, I had forgotten about that run!

Maybe we were all just more forgiving back in those days, at least they got the logo the right way round this time, can you imagine that in 2019 :lol:

On 06/12/2019 at 10:27, Fireline said:

There used to be this thing that people called a "receipt".

Yeah, and how many of those do you think people got a Warley?????  (Card holders copy if paid by card, but not much else nowadays!) 

I do know one shop that fills in a Bachmann warranty fully, but other than that...........

• Agree 1

Might have been said.  Hornby are looking to produce replacement bodies.

Obviously purchasers will most probably have to contact the Retailer from whom they obtained their model.

As to Proof of Purchase, this can be a Credit Card monthly balance - redacted to remove other items.  Not many outlets will identify individual items but most will annotate with say R1234, or 31-xxxx as proof.  But then at exhibitions it might be just a piece of signed paper rather than a full receipt.