Portable Terminus Layout

Hi guys,

I have recently built two 7' x 2' boards for a portable end to end city terminus layout which can be stored or taken to shows. I've had a few goes at drawing out a track plan on SCARM.

My Criteria:

City location

At least 3 platforms

A station pilot siding

At least 2 carriage sidings

A small loco depot with turntable

A 5 road fiddle yard

Trains at least 4 Mk1s long

What I came up with is on this word document. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. The one piece of track exiting the tunnel into the fiddle yard is a sector plate which rotates to link to the 5 line behind which need to be bent slightly at the ends to line up with the arc.

Thanks,

Chris

Portable Exhibition Layout.docx

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris,

It’s difficult to see what’s going on in that document.

Can you post a topic in the layout and track design area instead and attach simple 2D plan views, please?

(And please say what scale/gauge...)

Very Minories! As to the fiddle yard, it might be worth looking at the construction and operation of the Liverpool Lime Street layout.

It may be worth considering a turntable, traverser or manual loco lift at the far end of the fiddle yard to avoid handling locos. The storage tracks are much longer than the platforms so this shouldn't be an issue.

Cheers

David

The plan looks very much like it has been inspired by "The Laird's" former layout Bradfield Gloucester Square, now with the Tring group.

The differences seem to be fewer platforms in the station area, access to/from  the visible carriage sidings restricted to just one track, requiring a shunt into and out of the tunnel every time and the 5/6 carriage sidings replaced by 2 sidings and the spread out engine shed and turntable.

From the series of articles The Laird submitted on here covering both construction and operation it seemed to work very well for him and hopefully its new owners can carry on the good work.

For the OP, it may still be possible to view those articles on here.

HTH

Jim