War of the Worlds - Oh dear...

Harlequin

17 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

I'm looking forward to the comments on here when that happens. I might say that all coaches look like Mk1's but suspect that others may be a bit picky when BR coaches are covered with sticky-backed plastic to represent something pre-grouping. On the other hand the "Hornby War of the Worlds" set would only be a paint job away.

I could see Hornby doing one of those Railroad train packs (rather like the old Triang 08 and three wagons ones) containing an old-model Terrier  and a trio of 4-wheel coaches in a dodgy livery and "heat ray scorch marks" down the sides, with an exciting Tripod logo on the front.  They could even include a Martian made from a simple plastic moulding of a tripod cabin attached to a small 4" tall bendy-leg camera tripod....

The Horror!!!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• Administrators
45 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I could see Hornby doing one of those Railroad train packs (rather like the old Triang 08 and three wagons ones) containing an old-model Terrier  and a trio of 4-wheel coaches in a dodgy livery and "heat ray scorch marks" down the sides, with an exciting Tripod logo on the front.  They could even include a Martian made from a simple plastic moulding of a tripod cabin attached to a small 4" tall bendy-leg camera tripod....

The Horror!!!

I'd buy one!

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Continuing to re-read the book, I note that after the carnage on the LNWR at Chalk Farm and the chaotic trainloads of fugitives on the GNR at East Barnet, the Midland comes out rather well: by the Tuesday, the narrator's brother "was told the Midland Railway Company had replaced the desertions of the first day's panic, had resumed traffic, and was running northward trains from St. Albans to relieve the congestion of the home counties."

We're left to assume that outside the home counties, apart from dealing with the influx of refugees, life went on pretty much as normal throughout the fortnight.

4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Continuing to re-read the book, I note that after the carnage on the LNWR at Chalk Farm and the chaotic trainloads of fugitives on the GNR at East Barnet, the Midland comes out rather well: by the Tuesday, the narrator's brother "was told the Midland Railway Company had replaced the desertions of the first day's panic, had resumed traffic, and was running northward trains from St. Albans to relieve the congestion of the home counties."

We're left to assume that outside the home counties, apart from dealing with the influx of refugees, life went on pretty much as normal throughout the fortnight.

Wells only lists seven cylinder landing sites, all in the Greater London area. The order to evacuate London was given on the fourth day. The entire book spans a period of fifteen days. 

3 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Wells only lists seven cylinder landing sites, all in the Greater London area. The order to evacuate London was given on the fourth day. The entire book spans a period of fifteen days. 

In The Book, Wells said that after the seventh flash, there was a much greater one, and supposed that there had been a catastrophic explosion at the launching site on Mars. At any rate, no further flashes were seen. The BBC however, as part of its re-imagination, ignores this and suggests an armada of invading cylinders.

The BBC seem to have taken this "re-imagination" business on board for at least a couple more productions. My cheap TV listings mag this week has a two page "peek at festive treats to come". There are going to be new productions of A Christmas Carol and Dracula, described as "a new take" and "a new approach" respectively.  As both books are constantly freely adapted, there's not much to say, apart from YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!   :jester:

I don't think railways appear in either. Unless that gets re-imagined too...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Buts that all too often the case nowadays - fashionable screenwriters deciding that they know a bit better than the original author and "adjusting" their dramas accordingly, subsequently to bask in high praise from the critics while the public turns off in droves.

DT

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, Hroth said:

The BBC seem to have taken this "re-imagination" business on board for at least a couple more productions. My cheap TV listings mag this week has a two page "peek at festive treats to come". There are going to be new productions of A Christmas Carol and Dracula, described as "a new take" and "a new approach" respectively.  As both books are constantly freely adapted, there's not much to say, apart from YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!   :jester:

Scrooge will recant his previous life after a visitation from Greta Thunberg, and Count Dracula only turned to people's necks because of the inability of the under-funded NHS to maintain his blood supply......

• Funny 1

6 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Do we have any experts on Transylvanian railways to point out the inevitable gaffes for us?

Maybe we won’t need one if the Beeb just use their favourite all-purpose steam loco, 3205, again.

Something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sylvanian-Family-2639-First-Train/dp/B003XXKL32

On 20/11/2019 at 11:41, melmerby said:

What do you expect?

For 99% of the viewers they wouldn't know the difference and equally wouldn't care. It's a train, end of!

Yes,  but let’s look on the bright side.  I’m sure they’ll have paid handsomely for the hire of the railway and that keeps it running and the locos in steam for us to enjoy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

What would be the point? They were desolate industrial wastelands then, and are desolate ex-industrial wastelands now... :rolleyes: :jester:

I was in the FSU at the time when the meteorite appeared over Chelyabinsk, a few years ago. For those unfamiliar with that part of the world, Chelyabinsk is a place which makes the Black Country appear positively benign; where, it is generally believed, the locals steal children from gypsies, and army recruiters hide from THEM. 

A joke rapidly spread that the meteor had, in fact, been a flying saucer which, realising where it was, had opted to self-destruct as the lesser evil. In Soviet Union, meteor fears YOU!  

Edited by rockershovel
  • Funny 4