War of the Worlds - Oh dear...

Harlequin

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

if they can make imaginary CGI aliens, why not correct CGI trains???

How do we know if their aliens are accurate enough for railway enthusiasts? ;)

• Funny 4

Talking about WotW, I'm surprised that the BBC hasn't sent someone out with a long-handled shovel to disinter it for covid-19 programme stuffing.  Its not even been mentioned in their "box set" trailers.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Talking about WotW, I'm surprised that the BBC hasn't sent someone out with a long-handled shovel to disinter it for covid-19 programme stuffing.  Its not even been mentioned in their "box set" trailers.

You're surprised? You did see it the first time, right?

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, AY Mod said:

On the perennial and largely unsolvable subject (that a!ways gives enthusiasts something to moan about) of railway accuracy in period films and drama it's pleasing to see an attempt from producers to get as close as they reasonably can. It's not perfect of course but Netflix's 'The English Game' has a good crack with some lovely shots of the Webb Coal Tank with L&Y 6-wheel and bogie coaches for Darwen in the 1880s. It's like Downton with football.

I was sent a screenshot of this last night by my friend who likes to find 'railways' on the telly for me to mock - but I was pleasantly surprised! 

14 hours ago, AY Mod said:

On the perennial and largely unsolvable subject (that a!ways gives enthusiasts something to moan about) of railway accuracy in period films and drama it's pleasing to see an attempt from producers to get as close as they reasonably can. It's not perfect of course but Netflix's 'The English Game' has a good crack with some lovely shots of the Webb Coal Tank with L&Y 6-wheel and bogie coaches for Darwen in the 1880s. It's like Downton with football.

Ok, but 'Evening Star' in 1951/2? 

They could have found 'Oliver Cromwell' or 'Britannia' and just about got away with it.

Anyway, I will wind my pedant's neck in now.  

Edited by jonny777

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Anyway, I will wind my pedant's neck in now.  

I'll out-pedant that and say it was actually 92214 as "Cock o’ the North, "Central Star" or "Leicester City" - a big green engine available at the time. The scenery behind it was cloned in from elsewhere.

I did notice it of course but I was more impressed with how they did some of the classic civil aviation through the series.

Pedantry - what about The Stranger on Netflix.

In one episode they were on Stockport station - trains kept flitting between side on views of Cross Country 220/1s and TPE 185s until he boarded the train and it became a first generation DMU.

Clearly the onboard scenes were done on the ELR as they later used Buckley Wells sidings for a bit of a chase.