Peco electrofrog points

sb67

• 2 years later...

Hi

There are a few similar topics on here, and I've read most, but this seems the most appropriate.

I've been struggling with connecting an electrofrog single slip code 55.

I've now got it to work using just one controller for this and the surrounding track. But I'd just like to confirm a couple of items.

I'm using DC electrofrog throughout, with feeds to every piece of track, all points manually controlled. I understand that, if not using point motors, I don't strictly need the 2 end droppers from the single slip. 

I was also strugglig with testing using an 08 shunter which stalled. My elderly 47 goes through with a bit of hesitancy. There may be a track clean needed. I've read on here that short wheelbas locos can have a bit of a problem with this type of pointwork.

Question is, would I be wise to install a frog juicer, or is this not necessary if I stick to one controller? Thanks in advance.

So a couple of things.

A lot of the advice in this thread is for OO pointwork, it doesn't necessarily apply to Code 55 N Gauge point work.

If you are using DC then frog juicers won't work, they are DCC items.

As you haven't connected the 2 droppers then you are relying on blade contact for electrical connectivity and this can be problematic, make sure that the insides of the point blades are very clean.

What do you use to control the points? Is it the "hand of god" or something else like wire in tube? With wire in tube there are ways to use the two droppers to provide power to the frogs.

Regards,

John P