How to start with scenery?

tayloss

Hi all,

im fairly new to modelling and in need of some advice on what’s best to use on my  kind of a coal staging/offloading area that’s going to have a small platform on the left hand track and then a rough road area leading to around the back of the rails.. what should I use for this look most realistic? 

Also, on the hills in the back ground, should I base with scatter and add some static grass/bushes? What I though seems simple has me overthinking it!

i have some Sleeper Grime to weather the track and used a sample piece for which I was happy with! 

This is an N gauge layout and don’t have a era set as I want this to be my learning layout etc!! Plenty of those in this layout!

Any comment or help would be greatly received!CB7898DF-0E29-42D0-BE55-58D900C6C4BA.jpeg.b02c4c09576278f9eae412d14cac0b49.jpeg

thanks,

chris

Edited by tayloss
Spell!

• RMweb Premium
On 20/11/2019 at 15:30, tayloss said:

Also, on the hills in the back ground, should I base with scatter and add some static grass/bushes? What I though seems simple has me overthinking it!

Good way to get a rough scrub effect is to use a hanging basket liner. Choose on of the fibre covered cellophane backed ones. Cut shapes to fit the terrain and glue down. Gives a very good base, just add a few bushes and clump foliage.

Its used round the field edge and by the mill buildings and canal on this N gauge.

IMG_0183.JPG.bddf245e5643b6894d00003cc01dd2e3.JPG

raised coal staithes on the platform would look good.

I think scalescenes do staithes as part of their free weigh-bridge kit:

https://scalescenes.com/product/r024-weighbridge-or-coal-office/

the kit is a good starting point for structures and because it is a download, you can keep printing off new ones until you are happy with the result.

For other bits, hobby shop acrylic paint like you have already used makes a decent base for the road (and any areas of grass/bushes)

Hydrangea heads make nice easy trees, just top them with some teased out teddy bear/pillow stuffing (typically a few pounds for more than you will ever use) and spray paint them, before gluing on some flock/ground foam.

A similar thing with hanging basket liner teased out works really well for bushes and hedges.

sandpit sand or just dust from your garden makes a nice gravel effect.

And remember if you don't like the result, either start again or hide it with a bush! Unlike much of model railways, this bit does not cost a huge amount.