LNER HST Farewell Tour, Blue/Yellow HST, December 18th to 21st,

2 hours ago, Phil Mc said:

1 from the start of todays journey, and a few from the end.

Apparently, the Power Cars were turned at Neville Hill last night and placed at the opposite ends of the set, so the Eastern Region Power Car was up to the buffers at Kings Cross.

A much appreciated gesture, many thanks to all concerned !!

Had noticed from earlier postings the power cars had been swapped around for the final day so the ER one was leading, not just the set turned either as the First class was still at the front.

Yes a nice touch, and a lot of extra work for the depot staff overnight, taking both power cars off, turning them, then re-attaching to opposite ends.

Also, in the attention to detail, I notice that E43112's reverted to it's original number from 43312,

200 was added to EC power car numbers when converted to MTUs

• Like 4

A few from Peterborough yesterday...........

DSCF4716.JPG.b704fb86783ec2628be036c3009e200b.JPG

DSCF4719.JPG.4ddc19a445915bb7a8d9ac91e5799234.JPG

DSCF4725.JPG.7f54ca81936363754c16c6af8ad07149.JPG

Ended up driving to Ely and catching a train from there to Peterborough to see it come through, given GA's current inabillity to run trains on the IPS-PBO route.  Saw the return ECS working in the evening as well before heading home. Certainly the longest time I've spent on Peterborough station since the late 1970's, though we did escape to the "Brewery Tap" (Oakham Ales) for a while during the afternoon!!

The "instant sales stand" of commemorative merchandise that set up on the platform whilst at Peterborough seemed to be doing a good trade.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Ken.W said:

Had noticed from earlier postings the power cars had been swapped around for the final day so the ER one was leading, not just the set turned either as the First class was still at the front.

Yes a nice touch, and a lot of extra work for the depot staff overnight, taking both power cars off, turning them, then re-attaching to opposite ends.

Also, in the attention to detail, I notice that E43112's reverted to it's original number from 43312,

200 was added to EC power car numbers when converted to MTUs

Both Power Cars were running as their original number.

IMG_20942.JPG.cbc6e724ecde26149f9783fb4d17e41f.JPG

As you say, the attention to detail was fantastic, both with the outside, and the inside of the set.

Obviously fixtures and fittings couldn't be altered, but the coaches, especially the Buffet, had retro posters on display, etc.

I'd just like to say a big 'Thank You' to all concerned with the tour, both on the day and in the planning.

It was a fitting tribute to the end of an iconic form of transport. (well, the end of it on my local stamping ground !!)

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

It looks a little wierd, looks like cross country power cars with multiple TFOs*

I have managed to not hear them.#

* The missing guards compartment window which was on all GWML and ECML power cars. NESW sets were 1 TFO and lots of TSOs

# So I can imagine Valentas

Lovely sight though.

I am just glad my modelling era are those colours.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Don't know the numbers but some power cars were built without the guard's window.

Classed as DM instead of the previous DMB, this was due to the guard's position being moved to the new TGS c.1980 (due to complaints about noise and rough riding in the rear of the power cars)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, keefer said:

Don't know the numbers but some power cars were built without the guard's window.

Classed as DM instead of the previous DMB, this was due to the guard's position being moved to the new TGS c.1980 (due to complaints about noise and rough riding in the rear of the power cars)

I've ridden in the old guards area a couple of times and it was awful not surprised they moved them into the TGS . Hot noisy and bad riding.  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, MJI said:

It looks a little wierd, looks like cross country power cars with multiple TFOs*

I have managed to not hear them.#

* The missing guards compartment window which was on all GWML and ECML power cars. NESW sets were 1 TFO and lots of TSOs

# So I can imagine Valentas

Lovely sight though.

I am just glad my modelling era are those colours.

Tut tut, no 'O' on HST coaches, they were just TF or TS.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, keefer said:

Yes the 3rd batch were, WR were DMB, as were ECML, rest were built as DM

• RMweb Premium

The set looks amazing today, testament to the design that it does not look out of place alongside newer stock. I can only imagine the impact they had when introduced, as the new face of Inter-City in an era when BR (or indeed the whole country) seemed so down-at-heel.

(I remember them from the late '70s on but a bit young to fully appreciate their impact!)

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, russ p said:

warm storage at least suggests they're thinking of doing something useful with it. Or at least haven't decided to just get rid of it. After all, it has good route availability and can keep up with track speeds on the mainlines.

Personally, I think Warm Storage is better then going to EMR. If it went to EMR then the doors would need changing to conform with in modern standards. That would ruin the work put into the paint finish in my opinion.

Warm Storage must mean there are options for the set's future.

Great photos, which bring a wry smile to my face - as we never believed those in 1976/7/8 who said "there will be lots of enthusiasts travelling on farewell HST tours in the future" when we were moaning about them taking over from the Westerns and Deltics. 

We really couldn't think that it would happen. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Great photos, which bring a wry smile to my face - as we never believed those in 1976/7/8 who said "there will be lots of enthusiasts travelling on farewell HST tours in the future" when we were moaning about them taking over from the Westerns and Deltics. 

I remember even when they were new thinking they sounded good especially when they left Darlington flat out and the rear power car going by, something which other than the 68s no modern train does

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Yes they were very impressive when leaving Darlington. I started a new job in Essex in April '84 and on a Sunday night my wife would take me to catch an HST south. She had to cover the ears of our newly born daughter as the train set off. Soon after they were introduced on the ECML I organised a trip to London for 150 sixth formers with accompanying staff. We went down on the HST and everyone was gobsmacked by the experience. We came back behind a Deltic which was only working on one engine so had to organise the connecting DMU at York to wait for us. The regular passengers were not amused. I agree with others, the design was outstanding and they still look great. I know Mike Stationmaster disliked the hassle of attaching a failed one to a loco but in my mind as a mere passenger, a small price for someone else to pay for a revolution in train travel that the HST introduced to the travelling public.

all the best and a Happy Christmas to all, especially anyone involved in preparing the set and to those of you who took the superb photographs.

Godfrey

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jonny777 said:

And we are now saying the same about the sHitachis, wont bother me though, I will either be dead, a dribbling wreck or at the very worst about to retire. ;)

49 minutes ago, royaloak said:

And we are now saying the same about the sHitachis, wont bother me though, I will either be dead, a dribbling wreck or at the very worst about to retire. ;)

I  am getting close to a few of those descriptions already,  :(

• Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, JamieR4489 said:

The set came from Craigentinney to Ely Papworth Sidings today:

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K05900/2019-12-31/detailed

I've seen other HSTs (ex-FGW) there not under cover so it's possible you'd be able to see it from a train or the road going behind the sidings.

What a shame after all the effort put in to repainting it

• Agree 1

• 5 weeks later...

If anyone is interested in acquiring a souvenir of the events, there is now a dedicated web site to sell "Let's Go Round Again" memorabilia:

http://www.lnerhst.co.uk

The asking prices are quite favorable compared to some of the prices I saw stuff going for on ebay - a set of the four carriage labels went for over a £100 whilst the same here can be had for a more modest £10.00 + postage.

Edited by SP Steve
  • Like 4