Suggestions for Dating a GWR Pannier to 1955

brossard

So my friend got a great deal on a second hand Lionheart 7mm Pannier tank (well I put him up to it).  Trouble is, his era is circa 1955 and the model is in 1930s GWR green livery:

P1010050.JPG.13107703c49cddb029838ead11babdb5.JPG

P1010051.JPG.0daf9ae331b41690fce3a29dac5fac24.JPG

I'm wondering if there's a rationale for maybe rubbing out the GWR with Tcut and adding "BRITISH RAILWAYS" to the sides.  Then weathering the dickens out of it.  He already has a black Minerva 57XX with early crest so some variety would be good.

John

Edited by brossard

OK, I don't claim to be a GWR expert, but I am picking things up.  The livery date makes my theory more plausible I think.  I had the impression that BR were keen on branding even if they didn't get around to putting their crest and paint on the locos.

John

Edited by brossard

Ah yes, thanks.  The picture you provide looks perfect.  I'm not sure what a topfeed boiler looks like.  Easy to make the conversion?

John

Oh the penny dropped, it's the humpty thing in front of the dome, right?  The other loco I mentioned has this so an easy thing to copy.

Edited by brossard

• RMweb Premium

Worth adding that the last few 64xx were visually the same but autofitted (a small control cover on the buffer beams) which might appeal if you are renumbering anyway. The earlier numbered 64xx had a slightly different cab/bunker shape so avoid those.

Edited by Hal Nail

I just told him the deal was on the table, he decided to go for it.  No pressure.

Thanks for the tip about auto fitting.  However, I'm not keen to change the cab number plate.  I have made a smokebox number plate.

A 48XX is in the works for early next year to go with the autocoach.

John

Ex-GWR 57XX was still carrying the GWR motif in 1961 when it was running on the Upton-on-Severn branch. The photos show he original and my interpretation using a Minerva model, but the GWR lettering appears brighter in the photograph than in reality. 74XX 7428 was photographed at Aberystwyth in 1962 still carrying GWR.  These two exampls provide cover for ysing this style of letter in the mid-1950s. NB both locos carried BR era smokebox numberplates. &$"* was fitted with the smokebox shedcode plate, but this was missing from 7788. 

Hope this helps,

Chris K

7788_Fireman_3.jpg

7788_GWR_at_Ashchurch_1961.jpg

• Like 7

• 4 months later...

Well, it took a bit longer that I thought, but the job is done.

P1010141.JPG.62daa7160e04d2e8c090e1a3e107cd81.JPG

P1010142.JPG.c2e13e500bd2b749ec1f061db6fc266c.JPG

Still not as filthy as the pictures but, when weathering I am always conscious of the danger of overdoing it.

The topfeed cover was made by making a plasticene mould from a 57XX and filling with epoxy.

Piping is 0.9mm brass wire bent following a picture of a 74XX model.  There are brackets either side of the dome that were made from brass strip.  The rear support is represented by plastic fixed with CA.

I gave the loco an overall black enamel wash.  Excess was washed off with thinners after drying.  I then used my airbrush to spray on a coat of earth followed by a coat of black.

I was disgusted to find that I don't have any route discs.  I improvised by painting some blobs on transfer sheet and carefully cutting out.

The smokebox number plate is paper mounted on card.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Nice work.. Nice front number plate in the correct position. Lots of WR models ruined by folks not realising they fixed the number plate along the smokebox door hinge...

• Like 1

Thanks Adrian.  I don't know about the number plate.  I will think about it.  It is not mine, I did the mod for a friend.

Looks like 7400 was at 87G Carmarthen in 1948.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...