Bellevue

Gypsy

I originally posted this in Layout Topics but I've had no feedback and think it would probably be better here - I certainly hope so.

Anyway, this is where I am so far...

Work moves on slowly!

I've bought five sheets of XPS foam which I will glue/laminate to make the baseboard before wrapping them in MDF to protect the edges.

I've also bought an SAS2-IR Shuttle from BLOCKsignalling. My plan is to wire up the bottom line and into the station (on the right) so I can leave it running on its own and have a separate loom to power things if I want to play...

Next job is to cut and glue down the cork trackbed - any suggestions on which is the best glue - I was wondering if using Copydex might give a bit of flex and so cut noise both for the cork and the trackwork - as it's on foam I'm hoping that don't need to worry about it fouling a drill Also in the process of mocking up the planned buildings in foamboard.

I'd also still like to be able to retrofit it for DCC so still need to work out where I need isolating fishplates... Any thoughts on that would be gratefully received.

IMG_5748.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Copydex it is.

Track down and an initial coat of sleeper grime sprayed on.

Thinking that the loco/train shelter is too big and will overwhelm things - but given that the intended setting is high in the mountains some kind of shelter is needed. Currently playing around with the colours but might well try to make a slightly smaller version...

IMG_5757.jpeg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Just to show that I haven't been entirely idle. I've completely rebuilt the loco shelter as the first effort warped and also I decided that I didn't like the plasticard cladding. I've also been building a bunded fuel tank (on which to practice a bit of salt weathering) which has triggered a few questions...

How would locos on such a small line be fueled - would this be over the top?

http://www.knightwing.co.uk/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?cart_id=1426789898.260&product=OO-HO_Lineside_Kits&pid=81

Also how would diesel be transferred from a rail tanker into the storage tank? Would something like a (very small) version of this be suitable?

http://www.knightwing.co.uk/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?cart_id=&product=OO-HO_Building_Kits&pid=181

IMG_6106.jpeg

IMG_6105.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Bit of grot in the bottom of the bund, though there's a fair bit more to go.

I found some cracking real-life pics to work from, one of which has a very shallow layer of water in the bottom. A couple of coats of gloss varnish should cover that but I had a thought - why not try to get the iridescent slick too? That led me to a Kathy Millatt YouTube video which looks to be a lot of work for a mediocre result. That in turn made me look more widely and I found artists iridescent medium - has anyone here tried it?!

IMG_6117.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gypsy said:

Pipework lagged and some light salt weathering (quite pleased with that)...

IMG_6118.jpeg

Very Convincing and the lagging looks so life like that its probably contains asbestos. Excellent work. 

Bit more work on the bottom of the bund and some subtle diesel stains around the filler.

I think the lagging needs a bit more work - some dry brushing with a lighter shade and a lick of matt varnish?

Home-made decals hopefully next...

IMG_6120.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Bit more work on the loco shelter today - need to finish the interior before I put the front on.

Been putting it off while I work out how to model the flat roof and glaze the skylights. Going to try talc on wet paint for the roof - before a fair amount of fallen leaves. All a bit slapdash but will be tidied up as I build the layers and weather it. Still not sure about the glazing...

IMG_6125.jpeg

IMG_6126.jpeg

Edited by Gypsy
  • Like 1

Waiting for some decal sheets to arrive before I go much further with either the shelter or the bund so I decided to take the plunge and start playing with the mini railcar I bought from Shapeways months ago. I couldn't resist as it has the deco styling that I'm after for this layout - albeit in a rural and slightly rustic setting. 

It wasn't cheap so I don't want to mess it up. I've sanded it down several times and begun extending the side skirts. I know the real GWR versions quickly abandoned these but they look better (to me - Rule 1 applies) and also hide the little Kato chassis. They need a bit of detailing still and I've got some ideas for the buffer beams but I think it needs a headlamp (centrally on the nose?!). Anybody any idea of anything suitable?

Next problem is glazing - with what and how - again, any suggestions gratefully received.

I'm also tempted to tint the windows, mainly because it will hide a multitude of sins inside. Plenty of US trains have tinted glass as well as some more modern European ones and the layout is set in mountains that get winter snow, so seems justified to me. I was wondering about painting the inside of whatever I use to glaze it with something like the clear Tamiya X-19 clear smoke...

Enough of my rambling, here's the item in question so far...

IMG_6141.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...