Heljan announce Collett Goods and Mk2/2a in O and O2, 47 and 33 variants in OO

AY Mod

4 hours ago, Earl of Pembroke said:

So Heljan has announced 7mm scale BR Mark 2 coaches and a GWR Collett 2251 0-6-0 locomotive at the NEC jamboree. When we will see them? Perhaps Heljan can give a simple, consolidated update on the following long list of promised, but undelivered 7mm scale projects:

Class 03  - 2016

Class 50  - 4/17

Class 56  - 8/18

Class 17 - 11/18

Class 31/1, 31/4  - 9/19

Class 40 centre headcode  - 11/19

Class 47 retool  - 1/18

Class 117

Class 120 (rumour this has been cancelled)

Class 121

Class 122

GWR AEC Railcar 8/18

Mark 1 CCT 9/19

Here's hoping I will live long enough to see them.

Charles

Certainly, a very good idea I think, so here goes. This is the status and approx release window for the O gauge models currently in progress.

Class 03  - 2016 - IN PRODUCTION, ABOUT TO BE SHIPPED. DUE JAN

Class 50  - 4/17 - SHIPPED - DUE DEC 17TH

Class 56  - 8/18 - CAD SIGNED OFF. IN TOOLING. LATE-2021

Class 17 - 11/18 - IMPROVED SAMPLE NOW BEING CHECKED. ASSUMING NO FURTHER MAJOR CHANGES, DECO STAGE NEXT AND RELEASE IN Q3 OR Q4 2020. 

Class 31/1, 31/4  - 9/19 - MINOR ALTS BEING MADE TO TOOLING. AWAITING DECO SAMPLES. Q3 2020. 

Class 40 centre headcode  - 11/19 - FIRST COMPLETE SAMPLE NOW BEING CHECKED AND MINOR ALTS IN PROGRESS. DUE MID-2020

Class 47 retool  - 1/18. NOW IN TOOLING (FINALLY!) - FIRST SAMPLES EXPECTED IN THE NEW YEAR. DUE LATE-2020. 

Class 117 - IMPROVED SAMPLE NOW BEING CHECKED. ASSUMING NO FURTHER MAJOR CHANGES, DECO STAGE NEXT AND RELEASE IN Q3 OR Q4 2020. 

Class 120 (rumour this has been cancelled) - NOT A RUMOUR. THIS HAS BEEN SHELVED FOR SOME TIME. 

Class 121 - IMPROVED SAMPLE NOW BEING CHECKED. ASSUMING NO FURTHER MAJOR CHANGES, DECO STAGE NEXT AND RELEASE IN Q3 2020. 

Class 122 - IMPROVED SAMPLE NOW BEING CHECKED. ASSUMING NO FURTHER MAJOR CHANGES, DECO STAGE NEXT AND RELEASE IN Q3 OR Q4 2020. 

GWR AEC Railcar 8/18 - IMPROVED SAMPLE NOW BEING CHECKED. ASSUMING NO FURTHER MAJOR CHANGES, DECO STAGE NEXT AND RELEASE IN Q3 2020. 

Mark 1 CCT 9/19 - CAD IN PROGRESS. RELEASE DATE TBC. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

17 hours ago, 61661 said:

No trouble. We had a complete and motorised sample on display at Warley. It hasn't progressed as quickly as we were hoping but it is heading in the right direction now. Once we have authorised the tooling (hopefully soon), we can move on to the deco samples. 

Thanks very much for the update — good to hear. 

I haven’t seen any photos of your Clayton sample; might Heljan post one, to whet the appetites of those of us unable to go to Warley? 

Heljan’s O gauge programme is terrifically good news for the hobby. 

Paul 

17 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

It's a bit weird that for the MK 2's they are releasing two brake coaches and not any all first/compo coaches.

I maybe mistaken but i think these were the coaches used on the Wat-Exe route, there was definitely a first corridor but whether it was a brake i cant remember.

Alan

1 hour ago, Captain Cuttle said:

I maybe mistaken but i think these were the coaches used on the Wat-Exe route, there was definitely a first corridor but whether it was a brake i cant remember.

Alan

Liverpool St—Cambridge—King’s Lynn trains of this period almost invariably included a brake first. 

Paul

23 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

It's a bit weird that for the MK 2's they are releasing two brake coaches and not any all first/compo coaches.

Not weird, it’s a commercial decision based on experience. Unfortunately all-First coaches tend to sell in much lower quantities than the others (for obvious reasons) and manufacturers almost always end up stuck with lots of unsold stock. We know we can sell the TSOs and the two Brakes (which share a body shell) but are less certain about an FK. If there proves to be huge demand, we can reconsider later - nothing is set in stone yet. 

Edited by 61661
  • Informative/Useful 2

21 hours ago, tomstaf said:

Hi Ben,

Were you make any of the changes I set out to get the 56 looking more like a 56 before the CAD was signed off? 

Cheers

Tom 

Yes. We have made a number of changes based on feedback. Thanks to everyone who took the time to provide info and suggestions. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Alan

Wat-Ex trains were usually formed of TSOs and 2x BFK, rather than an FK. Although FKs occasionally appeared too, they weren’t the norm. 

• Like 1

On 25/11/2019 at 16:41, Nick-L said:

Any chance of similar for the OO releases please?

OK. Here goes...

Class 27s - due December 

Class 33 rerun - Jan/Feb

Class 33 V3 with headlights - Q2 2020

Class 25 - delayed to make mods/improvements but hopefully end of Q2 2020
Class 45 - Q3 2020

Class 47 retool - Q4 2020

Class 86/0 - Q2 2020

Class 86/4 - first half of 2021

GWR Railcar - Q3 2020

Gresley O2s with GN tenders etc - Q4 2020

As with the O gauge list, all dates are provisional and subject to alteration. 

Hope this helps

Ben

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

40 minutes ago, 61661 said:

Not weird, it’s a commercial decision based on experience. Unfortunately all-First coaches tend to sell in much lower quantities than the others (for obvious reasons) and manufacturers almost always end up stuck with lots of unsold stock. We know we can sell the TSOs and the two Brakes (which share a body shell) but are less certain about an FK. If there proves to be huge demand, we can reconsider later - nothing is set in stone yet. 

Right. I didn't realise that the two brakes used the same body shell which makes more commercial sense.

• Like 1

On 25/11/2019 at 16:41, Nick-L said:

Any chance of similar for the OO releases please?

OK. Here goes...

Class 27s - due December 

Class 33 rerun - Jan/Feb

Class 33 V3 with headlights - Q2 2020

Class 25 - delayed to make mods/improvements but hopefully end of Q2 2020
Class 45 - Q3 2020

Class 47 retool - Q4 2020

Class 86/0 - Q2 2020

Class 86/4 - first half of 2021

GWR Railcar - Q3 2020

Gresley O2s with GN tenders etc - Q4 2020

As with the O gauge list, all dates are provisional and subject to alteration. 

Hope this helps

Ben

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, 61661 said:

OK. Here goes...

Good to note nothing has slipped in the 23 mins between your two postings :)

You have an unenviable task and I'm sure our appreciation for that!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Funny 5

41 minutes ago, EmporiaSub said:

I know the 33 wasn't mentioned by the OP, but is this still due, in O scale, early next year?

My finances might take a bit of a hit!

Yes. They’re signed off and may already be in production: 

• Like 1

Looks like I'll have to start saving for those MK2's. Interesting to read that they will come with alternative gangways for MK2/MK2a's, I wonder will they also come with alternative underframe parts with the MK2s being Vacuum braked (except those converted with Disc brake for the EDB-GLQ Push Pulls) and the MK2a's being Air?

Al.

15 hours ago, D6775 said:

Looks like I'll have to start saving for those MK2's. Interesting to read that they will come with alternative gangways for MK2/MK2a's, I wonder will they also come with alternative underframe parts with the MK2s being Vacuum braked (except those converted with Disc brake for the EDB-GLQ Push Pulls) and the MK2a's being Air?

Al.

That's the plan, although we don't intend to offer the disc brake parts etc for the E&G push-pull Mk2s. The intention is to offer representations of the VB and AB underframe parts on a detailing sprue for customers to fit as required. 

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Waverley West said:

Any thoughts you might shrink the Class 120 to 00 at some point, Ben? Not that you haven't got plenty to get on with of course!

I could certainly use one of those.

Cheers,

Dave

Yep along with a 116 , the 120 is high on my wants list too

Re the O guage Mk2 coaches.....

Firstly a brilliant introduction, BUT,

It would be interesting to get Ben's reasoning for why 2 brake coaches are being produced?

In my eyes a FK instead of a BFK would have been a much better choice.....otherwise I can see loads of TSO being sold and not so many of the brake coaches.....

Over to you Ben?

Edited by deltic17

• RMweb Gold
On 26/11/2019 at 18:14, 61661 said:

31 minutes ago, deltic17 said:

Re the O guage Mk2 coaches.....

Firstly a brilliant introduction, BUT,

It would be interesting to get Ben's reasoning for why 2 brake coaches are being produced?

In my eyes a FK instead of a BFK would have been a much better choice.....otherwise I can see loads of TSO being sold and not so many of the brake coaches.....

Over to you Ben?

• Agree 1