Locomotion announce 9400 edition of Bachmann 94xx

AY Mod

• Moderators

NEW 94XX ANNOUNCED AT WARLEY

35-025NRM.FRONT_LS.jpg

Image courtesy Bachmann Europe Plc

Locomotion Models announced at the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition today (23rd November 2019) that they have commissioned a OO Scale model of Great Western Railway 94XX Class 0-6-0T No. 9400 from Bachmann Europe Plc.

The popular ‘94XX’ Class 0-6-0 pannier tank was effectively the last GWR designed steam locomotive; the first ten were turned out in the company’s Middle Chrome Green by Swindon before nationalisation.  The remaining 200 were built for British Railways and were delivered in unlined black livery by outside contractors Robert Stephenson, Yorkshire Engine Co. and W.G Bagnall between 1949 and 1956, with minor detail differences.  All were capable of steam heating coaching stock.  

They were a development of the numerous ‘57XX/ 8750’ Class, designed for secondary mixed traffic and shunting duties, with an instruction from the GWR’s General Manager, Sir James Milne, that they should be of more modern appearance than the traditional GW pannier tank.  Withdrawals began in 1959 with the final survivor remaining in traffic into 1965, and as a result only a limited number of the class received the BR late crest.

No. 9400 was delivered in February 1947 along with No. 9401. No. 9400 was initially allocated to Swindon shed but soon found itself in the London area working empty coaching stock between Old Oak Common and London Paddington. After a short working life of just 12 years, No. 9400 was withdrawn from Old Oak Common depot on 31st December 1959 for preservation. No. 9400 is part of the National Collection and is currently on loan to STEAM Museum, Swindon.

A second locomotive No. 9466 was privately preserved and is now based at the West Somerset Railway.
The model has reached the livery stage and delivery is expected in Quarter 3, 2020. The model is DCC READY and is fitted with a NEXT 18 Decoder socket. No. 9400 can be pre-ordered for £30 (expected price is estimated at £129.95) through the Locomotion Models website at www.locomotionmodels.com

35-025NRM_BACK_LS.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Ok for 9400 as preserved, but its tank filler was in a different position in GWR days. The route/power indicator was above the numberplate, the injector overflow pipe passed outside the footplate (it still does) and G W R was spaced closer than it is nowadays.

9400-2.jpg.2cfad927f864ef023f943d6313ed90dc.jpg

As it is coming from Locomotion logically it would be a representation of the preserved engine  which it appears to be, including such things as the different position of the RA disc and the position of the lettering.  If one wished to apply critique to a model representing the engine in GWR condition it would presumably logically appear in the Bachmann thread where, unless the details will be different on their 9402 when it actually appears, it might not be correct in detail for 9402 as it ran in GWR condition.   From what I saw of the Locomotion model yesterday it represents 9400 in museum condition and Locomotion aren't claiming otherwise - the clue may be in the term 'National Collection in Miniature'.  

We already have the example of one NCIM version of 'City of Truro' where the colour of the RA disc very accurately reflects that as it was following the engine's most recent repaint in preservation - and it's in the wrong colour.  Anybody using a preserved/museum condition engine for reference is basically producing a model of that engine unless they go further to sort out the differences from 'as running condition' and that is, surely, not what the NRM is doing in models produced to represent items in its collections.   Oh and the SECR D in preserved condition, which is the version the museum is selling, also has some minor differences from the 'as running' SECR condition which Rails is selling.

16 hours ago, Pmorgancym said:

Will the poor patch painting to hide the original non authetic preserved livery be represented :)

Of course it all depends when you saw the preserved engine doesn't.  To me any overpainting doesn't appear to have dealt with any 'non-authentic' livery matters resulting from  Swindon Works' preparation and 'overhaul' of the engine for preservation.  More likely judging by the appearance of the paint it has been applied to cover the deteriorating state of the original works paint job which, I'm sorry to say it, in all too typical Swindon fashion has gradually changed colour and broken down after many years and in this case a lot of cleaning attention with traditional materials.   To me the model looks like a good representation of the 'as preserved' engine and that, surely, is what it's all about.

When it comes to any model we all face a very simple choice.  We either buy because we want it and like it or we don't buy it.   Equally there is in some respects no difference between buying one of the NRM's models and doing a spot of modelling to alter it to exactly what we want compared with buying a model from a normal retailer    But there is one very important difference because buying Locomotion/NRM/NCIM models has the added advantage of not just giving us something we might want but helping to put money back into the museum.  And the range of models has over years has put some very substantial sums of money back into the museum so it is definitely worth supporting if we want our national railway museum to thrive and develop because the majority of tax payers (also us of course) no doubt prefer their money to be spent on many other things such as education or social care or whatever.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Disappointed it’s not to be finished in Gloss. 

I suppose I am a bit too but I’ll settle for the sheen. Lots of people hate gloss finishes, of course, but Locomotion is getting steadily better at it, for example, not glossing the black areas that get tramped on or scorched. I understand that the gloss is actually the paint and not an overspray of gloss varnish – it certainly looks that way. On or two of the Heljan gloss offerings I have look like a varnish overspray, with some areas looking a little thinner than others. Not that the Heljan finish is bad, just that the Locomotion one is better. Hornby has done some of the Locomotion glossies, if not all. Hornby’s own glossies are good too although why a P2 was chosen to receive gloss puzzles me. The P2 model is far below the standard of the A1, A3 and A4.

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately that can’t be obtained in New Zealand and due to the Mail laws now can’t be shipped from UK either. Locomotion used to distinguish themselves from other by the very fact the the Locos were gloss finished. Now they are doing it less and it’s a real shame.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Pmorgancym said:

I can't remember what the mistake was with 9400, it was either out shopped in Great (creast) Western, or G (creast) W (which the one I'm leaning towards).  But if you squint down the tanks you can see the patches of paint that hide this.

The spacing of the letters is incorrect - they are spaced too far apart, presumably the works didn't have the original drawing so guesstimated the spacing.  The NRM model reflects the preserved engine's condition.   Any retouching is almost certainly down to the deterioration of the original Swindon works paint job;  the engine went into the old Swindon museum with exactly the same lettering spacing that it has now.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, David Bigcheeseplant said:

But I'm that  that came off pretty quickly as there are some  fairly old photos of it in the old museum lettered GWR and I don't recall it as being lettered 'Great Western' when I visited the museum in its first year or soyt 

My preliminary view is that the spacing of 'G W R' was standardised, but it existed in two nominal spacings, 'wide' and 'narrow'. The former was ostensibly for tenders and 'large' tank engines and the latter for 'small' tank engines. Misapplications were known.

Edited by Miss Prism

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
55 minutes ago, RightOnTrack said:

Wow that looks very impressive! Was there much change between the class for if I was to change one to how 9466 is now? 

The most noticeable change was the cover between the front frames. Possibly a few other differences such as lamp irons.

I reckon that 9466 will appear as a Bachmann Collectors Club model in the near future.

Jason

• 1 month later...

Received an email today with a Track & Trace code from UPS. It's expected to arrive on Thursday. :danced:

It's also my first item from the UK since Brexit. So I'm really wondering if I'll have to pay extra for customs charges and how much.

A short running session featuring the all new Bachmann / Locomotion Models GWR 9400 Class 0-6-0PT edited with real sound. 
Sounds are provided by a number of similar locomotives from my sound collection, captured at various Gala and Preserved Railways over the past few years.
Here we see No. 9400 action in museum standard GWR Green, hauling a short demonstration goods train.
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/01/2021 at 21:45, Ryan91 said:

Received an email today with a Track & Trace code from UPS. It's expected to arrive on Thursday. :danced:

It's also my first item from the UK since Brexit. So I'm really wondering if I'll have to pay extra for customs charges and how much.

I have finaly managed to place an order for this loco. The Locomotion website appears up to date now as VAT was removed, so I am anticipating that being charged when the parcel arrives here in France. At least I won't be paying VAT twice! We shall have to see what duty is charged as these locos are made in China and then imported intot he UK before being sold on. Hopefully the duty should be zero as electric trains are not subject to duty under WTO rules if I understand correctly.

• Like 1