Twin tendered Bittern, now no valances?

nightstar.train

• RMweb Premium

I’ve just seen the new arrivals email from Rails, and it shows the twin tendered Bittern R3771 as having no valances. When I pre orders it back in January it was definitely shown with valances. I’m very disappointed as I was planing a conversion to Dominion of New Zealand, which the real Bittern pretended to be for a while. Does anyone know when and why Hornby changed? Thinking I might send it back when it arrives. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

Thanks Martin. Wish I’d spotted that, I would’ve cancelled my order then. Stupid decision by Hornby in my opinion, Bittern in blue had valances for a lot longer than it didn’t. 

Not to mention that ancient second tender, a throwback from the 70's.

First time the the current superdetail variety LNER A4 , has  been made without valances (ignoring the old 2nd tender) , sadly with the wrong post war numbers and lettering type. At the price asked sadly errr not for me.

Edited by micklner
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

I wouldn't mind having one in 1970s condition when it was at Dinting. One of the first locomotives I remember seeing. I still think of it as being Number 19.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/17889585@N03/3428464685/in/photostream/

Unfortunately I don't think this would be the best way to do it as it had a non corridor tender.

Jason

• Agree 1

I've been badgering Hornby for years to do the A4 in post war LNER condition without valences and with the stainless steel numbering / lettering. After they did the apple green version last year it's the only A4 livery yet to be covered by the new tool version. I guess Bittern is the best candidate for conversion but it'll have to come down in price before I consider going ahead.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Did the 1:1 Bittern twin-tendered version ever have valances?

Al.

I don't believe it ever ran as 4464 with both tenders. I can only find a few photos of it running as 4492 with stainless steel trim and valances with a second tender. 

Blue Streak

• Agree 1

Thanks for the information and reply.

I suppose if investing that much in a limited edition locomotive, returning to correct costs won't be that much.

Relatively easily renamed / renumbered to the experienced modeller.

Al.

Edited by atom3624
  • Like 1

The

On 21/11/2019 at 22:46, Trains4U said:

It’s the 1:1 collection 

it models the loco as it is today and was always advertised as such

(my pic)

7A823E3A-8AAA-4B56-BBB9-5197C9D0C7BE.jpeg

Lovely picture, beautiful plumage!  It's advertised as Era 11, too.

Regards

Julian

Edited by jcredfer
Sp

It  looks  if the arrival of the Bittern Model was deliberately part of the arrival of the full size Bittern's arrival at the Margate Loco storage facility.  It would seem logical for the model to match the one in the storage facility.

https://theisleofthanetnews.com/2019/07/30/Hornby-open-day-to-offer-first-chance-to-see-bittern-and-other-full-size-locomotives-up-close/

Regards

Julian

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

It  looks  if the arrival of the Bittern Model was deliberately part of the arrival of the full size Bittern's arrival at the Margate Loco storage facility.  It would seem logical for the model to match the one in the storage facility.

https://theisleofthanetnews.com/2019/07/30/Hornby-open-day-to-offer-first-chance-to-see-bittern-and-other-full-size-locomotives-up-close/

Regards

Julian

Yes that was the whole point of it. As with the black 5 they released as part of the same collection. I don’t see why everyone is annoyed about this. I posted way back that Paul Isles had confirmed to me via private message, and then said I could share the information, that the catalogue image was incorrect and the model would indeed have no valances as it currently looks. Check out this thread from March. 

Edited by Hilux5972
Added content.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/11/2019 at 01:49, nightstar.train said:

Thanks Martin. Wish I’d spotted that, I would’ve cancelled my order then. Stupid decision by Hornby in my opinion, Bittern in blue had valances for a lot longer than it didn’t. 

STUPID? Because if doesn't satisfy your criteria??

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, DonnyRailMan said:

What I have noticed on the double chimney stack is a cluster of perforated holes as you would see when there is a speeker fitted.

Vertical fins at the rear of the chimney? I think they are to improve smoke lift?

edit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/camperdown/12441677823/

Edited by Bucoops

I think he means these holes...

IMG_3995.JPG.d1d6ab1f82c47ff8df503ab905e2ec80.JPG

... which are the ports for the snifting valve.

I couldn't find a picture of the top of a real A4 so I had to take a quick snap on my phone but I assume it's there on the real thing as otherwise the snifting valve would be useless.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, JamieR4489 said:

I couldn't find a picture of the top of a real A4 so I had to take a quick snap on my phone but I assume it's there on the real thing as otherwise the snifting valve would be useless.

Ah ok - yes they appear to be on the originals too.

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/userimages/00-0-a-gcra-60010-chimney-whistle-nameplate.jpg

Edited by Bucoops

On 21/11/2019 at 17:23, nightstar.train said:

I’ve just seen the new arrivals email from Rails, and it shows the twin tendered Bittern R3771 as having no valances. When I pre orders it back in January it was definitely shown with valances. I’m very disappointed as I was planing a conversion to Dominion of New Zealand, which the real Bittern pretended to be for a while. Does anyone know when and why Hornby changed? Thinking I might send it back when it arrives. 

Hornby produced a model of Dominion of New Zealand and eventually you may be able to pick up a spare twin tender you could find a cheap twin tender set with Flying Scotsman. the spray LNER garter blue and paint roof grey.Then simply add transfers.

Edited by MrJack47790

11 hours ago, JamieR4489 said:

Correct.