List of 08's in IC Livery please?

Jintyman

Hi all,

I'm looking for somewhere where I can see a list of which 08's were painted into Intercity livery.

In particular I'm looking for one which had a standard IC livery with no name, or even one that ran for a while with no name.

Rats, 37's and 47's have their own sites, 08's seem not to.

Thanks in advance

Jinty ;)

• RMweb Premium

From some odd scanned pages of a book I borrowed from the library a few years ago;

873 with arrows on indescision and cockney sparrow

644 with no branding but numbers on the fuel tanks

570, 800 and 950 with swallow branding, 800 having numbers on the battery boxes

The thing is though, they all had little differences in the way the livery was applied....

Dave

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Reviving this as I have a question about 08570, the Waverley pilot. I could have sworn it was in a hybrid livery of mainline (i.e. beige lower bodyside) but with swallow logos. However, I can't now find any evidence of that! The lower bodyside definitely looks the correct IC off-white in the few photos I can find. Any thoughts? 

13 hours ago, Daddyman said:

Thanks, but it's not really clear from that what colour the lower bodyside is, or if it ever had Mainline beige. 

Stick "08570 Waverley" into the search box on Flickr. 100% that's executive light grey (the mainline shade).

Jo

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Stick "08570 Waverley" into the search box on Flickr. 100% that's executive light grey (the mainline shade).

Jo

Thanks - that's helpful. I usually search on Google. Hadn't occurred to me to use Flickr's internal search. 

EDIT: sorry, getting my Executives and my Mainlines mixed up! Rail Express "Retrospectrum" confirms 08570 not painted in Executive, so the repaint I did for some reason or other wrong. 

So it's a hybrid livery - mainline paint but Swallow decals. 

I'm just wondering if this model is right. Some years ago I carefully masked off the lower bodysides and repainted them (the base model was, I think, Manchester Piccadilly), but now I wonder if I was mistaken... 

20231003_113429.jpg

Edited by Daddyman

1 hour ago, Daddyman said:

Thanks - that's helpful. I usually search on Google. Hadn't occurred to me to use Flickr's internal search. 

EDIT: sorry, getting my Executives and my Mainlines mixed up! Rail Express "Retrospectrum" confirms 08570 not painted in Executive, so the repaint I did for some reason or other wrong. 

Flickr is my go to search for anything railway. Google search seems to get worse as the years go on.

Mainline livery used Executive Light Grey as the lower shade. I can't remember off hand if the upper grey is Falcon or Executive Dark Grey.

Executive as a livery probably refers to this style of InterCity branding, as it can be known as Intercity executive, presumably due to the paints used. Intercity Swallow coming later.

https://flic.kr/p/2ecEUmL

I think your repaint looks right, Swallow logo but Executive Light Grey lower 

Jo

Edited by Steadfast

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Flickr is my go to search for anything railway. Google search seems to get worse as the years go on.

Mainline livery used Executive Light Grey as the lower shade. I can't remember off hand if the upper grey is Falcon or Executive Dark Grey.

Executive as a livery probably refers to this style of InterCity branding, as it can be known as Intercity executive, presumably due to the paints used. Intercity Swallow coming later.

https://flic.kr/p/2ecEUmL

I think your repaint looks right, Swallow logo but Executive Light Grey lower 

Jo

Thanks - I was still mixed up even after my correction! Executive was the APT-derived livery, with non-italics "Intercity" branding, while Mainline was the same colours but no branding, as carried by 37s on the WHL (Bachmann used to get the lower bodyside colour wrong on their Mainline 37s). IC Swallow had the paler, silver-white lower bodyside and the swallow logos. My livery should not exist: it is, as I said before I "corrected" myself, Executive colours with Swallow logos, which "shouldn't" happen. But comparing the loco in photos on Flickr to the GUV its buffered up to, which has a light grey/beige-ish lower bodyside, the 08 looks like it is painted in correct Swallow colours, with a silver-white lower bodyside. But I'm happy to defer to you!  

Edinburgh Waverley

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daddyman said:

My livery should not exist: it is, as I said before I "corrected" myself, Executive colours with Swallow logos, which "shouldn't" happen. But comparing the loco in photos on Flickr to the GUV its buffered up to, which has a light grey/beige-ish lower bodyside, the 08 looks like it is painted in correct Swallow colours, with a silver-white lower bodyside. But I'm happy to defer to you!  

I think your model is right. Compare the open battery switch door. The inside of it almost matches the Exec Light Grey, but is noticeable against the white above the red.

Many weird things have happened in history such as repaints in the wrong shade, but I wonder if the loco got painted Mainline / Exec, then got a swallow sticker slapped on at depot level.

Jo

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Steadfast said:

I think your model is right. Compare the open battery switch door. The inside of it almost matches the Exec Light Grey, but is noticeable against the white above the red.

Many weird things have happened in history such as repaints in the wrong shade, but I wonder if the loco got painted Mainline / Exec, then got a swallow sticker slapped on at depot level.

Jo

Food for thought, thanks!