MRJ 275

Compound2632

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Zero Gravitas said:

But it is a Class A Controlled Model Railway Publication...

It’s probably the crack cocaine of the magazines - allegedly.

Does that make the Railway Modeller a gateway drug?

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, grahame said:

Does he supply it in a plain brown wrapper?

Every time - and the dealer also delivers. A copy will appear in the Clubrooms in a day or two for a friend who I know is away on holiday so I get to read it first !!

5 hours ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Every time - and the dealer also delivers. A copy will appear in the Clubrooms in a day or two for a friend who I know is away on holiday so I get to read it first !!

Will be delivered tomorrow. C Canner

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Glad to see that the traditional Christmas issue cover ornamentations are present and correct.  Because - and I really don't like writing this - the contents list posted earlier looks a bit, well, dull for a Christmas MRJ.  I used to look forward to the "out-of-the ordinary" Xmas articles - a bit of model railway history, a crossword or puzzle, some provocative think pieces or a seasonal model (e.g. Chris Pendleton's superb North Shields displayed in snow).  All suitable for reading with a glass of port by the fire over the festive season. 

I hope to be pleasantly surprised when I pick my copy up in York on Saturday, but I'm a bit worried that, of six main articles, three pieces appear to be yet more Great Western minutiae, unbalancing the issue, and neither "Newton Heath" nor "LSWR carriages" of the others really get the juices flowing at first sight. 

Luckily I've got a full set (been buying it since issue 5), so I can always re-read some of the classic issues, but I'm wondering if MRJ is finally slowly fading away like an old soldier.  Or perhaps it's me that's getting old and jaded...

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Neil said:

Does that make the Railway Modeller a gateway drug?

No, Model Rail is the gateway, then someone gets confused over the titles, picks up a copy of MRJ by mischance and then its downhill all the way....

• Like 4

15 hours ago, RichardT said:

Glad to see that the traditional Christmas issue cover ornamentations are present and correct.  Because - and I really don't like writing this - the contents list posted earlier looks a bit, well, dull for a Christmas MRJ.  

I have some sympathy with this view as I too felt that the posted list didn't provide the frisson of excitement and interest that the previous issue's content did, and appears a little dull. But I guess it's a lot is to do with what subjects and articles take ones fancy. Certainly the latest ones don't appear to float my boat. But, hey ho, there will be further issues.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, RichardT said:

Glad to see that the traditional Christmas issue cover ornamentations are present and correct.  Because - and I really don't like writing this - the contents list posted earlier looks a bit, well, dull for a Christmas MRJ.  I used to look forward to the "out-of-the ordinary" Xmas articles - a bit of model railway history, a crossword or puzzle, some provocative think pieces or a seasonal model (e.g. Chris Pendleton's superb North Shields displayed in snow).  All suitable for reading with a glass of port by the fire over the festive season. 

I hope to be pleasantly surprised when I pick my copy up in York on Saturday, but I'm a bit worried that, of six main articles, three pieces appear to be yet more Great Western minutiae, unbalancing the issue, and neither "Newton Heath" nor "LSWR carriages" of the others really get the juices flowing at first sight. 

Luckily I've got a full set (been buying it since issue 5), so I can always re-read some of the classic issues, but I'm wondering if MRJ is finally slowly fading away like an old soldier.  Or perhaps it's me that's getting old and jaded...

GWR and SR yet again might be the problem.

• RMweb Premium
On 05/12/2019 at 07:56, Mike Bellamy said:

I collected my friends copy from the clubroom tonight and not only was it in the usual brown paper bag, the above mentioned dealer had even signed the bag with best wishes for Christmas and the New Year. Cheaper than a card !!

• Funny 2

On 05/12/2019 at 14:06, laurenceb said:

MRJ in brown paper bag

Good to know it's got the traditional Christmas decorations at the top.

Now I can tell without getting further than the door of WHS whether the one peeking out from the back shelf is the new one or still the old...

Still the old one, alas.

• RMweb Gold

I'm not somebody who would be classed as a fan of the GWR.....quite indifferent about it really. (Only one railway in the West Country and that had blue engines..oh and the other Western which had a much nicer shade of green)

However, it matters not if the model is that of the Great Western . S&DJR ( God bless all) or the Madras Orbital Light Railway, good modelling is simply just that. To dismiss something as 'not for me' is just narrow minded. 

For what it's worth, looking over 'Station Road' was one of the highlights of Railwells this year for me.

Therefore the latest MRJ  will, as ever, provide inspiration and a nice accompaniment to a mince pie and a  glass of port.

Rob 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

As an afterthought,  what about a MRJ Christmas Annual in the style of the old compendium ?

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

If I used the contents of MRJ as the basis of a decision whether to buy the magazine or not I would have purchased very few editions.

Most contain very little of direct interest, but not buying them would have been my loss.

There is always something new in the way of skills, interest and always an enjoyable read. I often find the articles I don't go to first (on the basis of the contents page and a quick flick through) are the more enjoyable ones.

The sentiment "don't judge a book by its cover" quoted above rings true in many instances.

Edited by Argos
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

Looks pretty good to me at first glance.

An interesting letter about Mike Sharman.

A plug for a house soon to be for sale. Very cryptic. Almost as good as the Christmas Quiz.

Coach building , tree making and some superb vernacular architecture.

Not to mention another favourite of mine, industrial grot.

274 was not a good seller to punters in the Hemel branch of Smiffs and not one of my favourites either.

I find this to be an excellent issue.

Bernard

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

And a splendid full-page advertisement for “Twilight of the Goods”*, the new Don Rowland book of wagons.  Already ordered from that very nice publisher in Bath.

*Or “Gottendammerwagen” in the original German, by Richard Wagener**

** Sorry.

Edited by Zero Gravitas
Very confused predictive text
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

The opinions on issue 275 at least show we all have varying tastes. I thought 274 was a cracking issue and 275 promises to be equally as good. As an unashamed GW/BR(W) branch line addict I'm always interested in seeing anything on Faringdon, one of my fave depictions of the genre and anything from the pen of messrs Kazer and Gravett or Trevor Pott has me hooked.  That said I do have those rose-tinted memories of Christmas issues containing articles on Norris, Ahern or Keen.

I agree with Rob, it matters not what the subject matter is, good modelling is well worth admiring and reading about.    :senile:

• Like 1
  • Agree 3