MRJ 275

Compound2632

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

How lovely to have it back.

I shall be writing a macro to divert all those posts to your email inbox then. :p

They're worse than wishlist posts! I'd be impressed if any more than one person felt each individual post was useful.

• Agree 5
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

I shall be writing a macro to divert all those posts to your email inbox then. :p

They're worse than wishlist posts! I'd be impressed if any more than one person felt each individual post was useful.

Hello Andy,

I don't suppose you can remember everything that appears on here but I was quite scathing of the WHSmiths branch list on previous threads. I was trying to be ironic this time but clearly failed!

• Moderators
1 minute ago, t-b-g said:

I was trying to be ironic this time but clearly failed!

I thought you were Tony,vI was just concerned that several hundred ***** might think you were being serious; they don't, it seems, need much encouragement.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

I have missed the old WHSmith tours on RMWeb.

How lovely to have it back.

How many branches do they have? If we get two posts for each branch, an initial "Not in Ealing yet" followed by a "Arrived in Ealing now" we could keep going for many pages.

I am in London tomorrow, it's a bit of a trek to Ealing but I'll try and get across there and find out.................

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I thought you were Tony,vI was just concerned that several hundred ***** might think you were being serious; they don't, it seems, need much encouragement.

smiling-sheep-gary-canant.jpg

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

12 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

The Sheep Chronicles:the final frontier. These are the adventures of Norman Lockhart. His continuing mission: to photograph strange old branch lines, to seek out new cafes and traditional British breakfasts, to boldly go where no man has gone before.......

This is also Uncle Percy's raison d'être, I well remember his guided tour of the lamp posts of South Shields via the Council Estate with its very own disused level crossing which ended in fancy cakes (breakfast was available) at the Vintage Powder Room and Tea Shop in Whitley Bay...now that's the sort of place only a bold man would go alone...nice cake though...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I am pleased to announce that the Memsahib has played a blinder, attended at W H Smith in Cardiff and has obtained a copy of 275. 

Top stuff. 

Rob. 

Celebrating-Sheep-600x229.jpg

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

Anyone who thought that ‘Newton Heath Works’ was anything other than the Cameo Competition winner wasn’t paying attention last issue when the winners of the cameo competition were announced....

Contrary to those who pre-conceived this issue to be dull, the contents page made me look out for the issue.

For those Smiffs Spotters, Brum and Burton Smiffs drew blanks, however, my search led to success today in the Smiffs on Derby station.

Newton Heath Works and Ty Dwr by Messers Kazer & Gravett we’re as good as I hoped there’d be. Plus there’s plenty of other content showing modelling skills to be deeply envious of to make it another excellent issue for me.

Andrew

• Like 4

On 09/12/2019 at 17:22, Argos said:

Not in Smiffs at Manchester Piccadilly either.

Christmas has obviously been cancelled. :(

The lack of MRJs is surely this country's biggest crisis since the Second World War.

Come on Corbyn, Johnson and Swinson - add 'my government will ensure that copies of MRJ arrive in WHSmiths on time' to your manifestos. It's sure to be a vote winner!

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, sharris said:

The lack of MRJs is surely this country's biggest crisis since the Second World War.

Come on Corbyn, Johnson and Swinson - add 'my government will ensure that copies of MRJ arrive in WHSmiths on time' to your manifestos. It's sure to be a vote winner!

Surely the obvious solution is for MRJ to be nationalised?

Craig W

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, sharris said:

Please note. 

MRJ is a non - political thread. 

Thank you. 

Rob. 

Given the lack of any physical manifestation of 275 in a variety of outlets between Pompey and the Smoke over the last week I’m beginning to think the issue is an election hoax.

drduncan

Edited by drduncan
Typoo
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

So no discussion of the finer points of EM verses P4 while the 00 party romps home... 

No, but of course the real debate is the mendacious campaigning of the Stevenson mob to have their inferior gauge accepted over the true Brunelian path.  

drduncan

• Like 2

Guest Jack Benson

No 275 is now available in rural West Dorset.

Cheers

Edited by Jack Benson
Pedantry

1 hour ago, Jack Benson said:

No 275 is now available in rural Dorset.

As is Billy Bragg. (Just to keep with the politico theme).

Just the type of property any self respecting MRJ owner could retire to.

https://www.jackson-stops.co.uk/properties/11193803/sales

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Gold

Steering clear of politics, I have to say that first impressions are very favourable. 

The article on Ty  Dwr is just great, as is anything involving Gordon Gravatt. 

The LSWR carriage article looks very good but not read yet as does Newton Heath Works. 

Far from dull. 

Rob. 

• RMweb Gold

Re: upper photo on page 288 - "... We have yet to discover the purpose of the frame in the foreground."

Does anyone else think it is to support one end of the plank which is leaning against the side of the coal store?

Why this would be useful, I have no idea.  It just looks like it fits together that way.

23 minutes ago, teaky said:

Re: upper photo on page 288 - "... We have yet to discover the purpose of the frame in the foreground."

Does anyone else think it is to support one end of the plank which is leaning against the side of the coal store?

Why this would be useful, I have no idea.  It just looks like it fits together that way.

The same thought crossed my mind.

Regarding the photograph on p.288 (upper), since the engine would have been coaled by hand, it is possible that the mystery frame did indeed provide support for the large plank. In this instance the purpose of the plank would be to provide a removable staging between the store and the support frame on which the man might stand when tipping coal into bunker space located on the far side of the engine.

SW

I never understand this bleating about non availability in shops. I only received the clubs subs copy on Monday and would hope that would be several days ahead of any newstand outlets! (no criticism of them having it at shows). The Clubs Backtrack subs copy arrived today, I wouldn't think of looking for it in Smiffs until the weekend. Subscribers should have priority for distribution.

Paul

• Agree 1