Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Peter Dowd, founder member Wakefield RMS

I'm very sorry to report that Peter Dowd, the last surviving founder member of Wakefield Railway Modeller's Society, has passed away.  He had been club President for some years and had been an active member of the society, visiting the clubrooms most weeks, often modelling figures for his 16mm narrow gauge garden line, the Mogok Ruby Mines Railway.  This 'commemorated' his time in Burma when in the services and was also a reference to his love of the Midland Railway which he had modelled for many years in 4mm scale as an early exponent of EM standards and member of the EM Gauge Society.  With him taking up 16mm narrow gauge he was an active member of the 16mm Association and was involved in the construction of the 16mm outdoor layout at the Midland Railway Centre at Butterley, a situation which enabled him to satisfy  both of his interests.  He will be greatly missed by all his friends and family.

His funeral will be held at Wakefield Crematorium on Monday 2nd December at 1.00pm.

Edited by 5050
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, 5050 said:

Sorry, a double post occured helped in no small way by the vagaries of the 'new' site when trying to edit my first post!

Edited by 5050

one of the early memebers of the 16mm association and one of the earliest of the yorkshire section. the section's exhibition layout "Mount Dowd" which can be seen at Narrow gauge North is named after him.

a little flavour of the garden. these are a few of mine from his last open day a few years ago but i seem to have mostly photographed in the garage section and the ones outside arent worth posting

IMAG0009.JPG.c8c77ab982123c11cf7bf0992685053e.JPG

IMAG0016.JPG.6b3e696ce40989c30df1d1fa241a0b47.JPG

IMAG0019.JPG.21d151ebd735f592943da5d09d2e319c.JPG

IMAG0021.JPG.91431030cba8b4b119fff00eee0b22e7.JPG

IMAG0022.JPG.0cb7a20e6c200c25f9a2df15ff0557d6.JPG

• Like 3

I remember Peter said he always carried a 16mm scale figure around with him so that he could use it to check 'things' he saw for sale for scale.  To create the figures seen above (plus LOADS more!) he would carve and add Milliput and paint to all sorts of unlikely subjects.  Several of the figures were created from individuals he had met and photographed when in Burma.

• 1 month later...

RIP Peter. For a couple of years around the turn of the millennium, Peter was also a member of the Yorkshire Area of the National Association of Road Transport Modellers. Several of our members were privileged to have an evening viewing (and operating) the Mogok Ruby Mines Railway, and marvelling at the skill with which toy action figures had been transformed into replicas of people that Peter had photographed during his time in Burma. Although I had not seen him for a couple of years, he is often mentioned in conversation. A fine modeller and man departed.