Gresley Junction

thegreenhowards

• RMweb Premium

Now we come onto the station area which is the least developed part of the layout, so if you're offended by half built scenery then you'd better skip over this section!

DSC_1672.JPG.bd0a7f81bcc8289814f9501b7d1a3bcf.JPG

This corner has the station entrance on a gentle (c.5 feet) radius curve. From the back, we have the bay platform (1), then the down slow (platform 2), down fast (no platform), up fast (Platform 3), platform 4, which acts as a terminating platform for the inner suburban train from Moorgate and the beginning of the freight loop and platform 5 (up slow). The rest of the platforms are shown below. In the foreground is the entrance to the goods yard. As you can see, not much has been ballasted, partly because I'm not yet completely happy with the track layout which I will explain in the next update. The town area at the rear is mainly based on Superquick buildings and is basically complete, although I'm sure I will add some detailing in due course.

DSC_1673.JPG.3d8dc7081ce42c1b98d0454f8c53caf1.JPG

Here is the steam shed and main station building and platforms. In platform 4 is a quad art set (Kirk kit) waiting to return to Moorgate. The next line is the run round loop for the terminating suburban train and also allows goods trains to cross from the down slow to recess for a crew or engine change. It also provides a through route from up goods trains. The final platform 6 on which the front of an N2 can just be seen on the extreme left is currently a terminating platform, although I have plans to extend it 'southwards'.

I am building the Scalescenes main station building to replace the Superquick one seen at the back and hope to replace the Metcalfe loco shed in due course (the rails are sticking out of the end until I decide on its exact location). The whole steam shed needs a lot of work as you can see.

Edited by thegreenhowards
typos
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

OK. Now we have the final stretch of the layout.

DSC_1675.JPG.5958e4368d7cfab214df27069af23fed.JPG

Here we have a general view down the layout with the K1 and the oil tanks crossing from the down slow into the freight loop across the second line of slips. The signalbox on the far side is the LCUT large signal box, but as yet is in a half built state. The coaling stage is Metcalfe and is more GW in outline (shock horror!) but Hatfield had one a little like this in LNER days so I don't feel it's too out of place - it does need some detailing though!

DSC_1676.JPG.c0f1ad351659493cebe0ed8c5ce77e4e.JPG

This is the diesel depot section with the coaling stage and turntable behind.

DSC_1677.JPG.6550d43f2bbf2c75f0684be3d24d50f0.JPG

Here is the tunnel mouth leading into the fiddle yard with A3 'Minoru' emerging on the down fast. The tunnel section is based on the Gasworks tunnel exit from King's Cross with red brick on the far side, yellow in the middle and blue on the nearest section just like at King's Cross. The canal section should be set further back with a road in between, but I had to foreshorten it. The lock is there, but should be a few feet to the left.

As you can see only two of the tunnel mouths have track properly laid. Initially I intended that the final tunnel mouth would be boarded up, but I'm now considering extending platform 6 through to the fiddle yard to allow a branch shuttle to enter the station from the south. The loose track emerging from the tunnel mouth is the beginning of this extension. It will probably only be single track, as to put a double track in would mean moving a roof joist!  The track plan would change from this:

418471206_GresleyJunctionNov19.jpg.b351d67dc3c9d3248df9713adab3b68b.jpg

To this:

1424095131_pfm6ext.jpg.99c823f414f1307635bb09a79ec87006.jpg

The revision would allow the branch shuttle to run in from the fiddle yard, run round, and return. It would also allow up goods trains to recess and run round for shunting operations. I would assume that there is a connection back onto the up slow beyond the tunnel, so that goods trains can exit via the new connection.

I might also add a connection from platform 5, but at the moment, I'm inclined to keep it simpler, as the above seems to offer everything I need operationally. 

Any views would be welcome.

Andy

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

Here we have a general view down the layout with the K1 and the oil tanks crossing from the down slow into the freight loop across the second line of slips. The signalbox on the far side is the LCUT large signal box, but as yet is in a half built state. The coaling stage is Metcalfe and is more GW in outline (shock horror!) but Hatfield had one a little like this in LNER days so I don't feel it's too out of place - it does need some detailing though!

Here is the tunnel mouth leading into the fiddle yard with A3 'Minoru' emerging on the down fast. The tunnel section is based on the Gasworks tunnel exit from King's Cross with red brick on the far side, yellow in the middle and blue on the nearest section just like at King's Cross. The canal section should be set further back with a road in between, but I had to foreshorten it. The lock is there, but should be a few feet to the left.

As you can see only two of the tunnel mouths have track properly laid. Initially I intended that the final tunnel mouth would be boarded up, but I'm now considering extending platform 6 through to the fiddle yard to allow a branch shuttle to enter the station from the south. The loose track emerging from the tunnel mouth is the beginning of this extension. It will probably only be single track, as to put a double track in would mean moving a roof joist!  The track plan would change from this:

To this:

The revision would allow the branch shuttle to run in from the fiddle yard, run round, and return. It would also allow up goods trains to recess and run round for shunting operations. I would assume that there is a connection back onto the up slow beyond the tunnel, so that goods trains can exit via the new connection.

I might also add a connection from platform 5, but at the moment, I'm inclined to keep it simpler, as the above seems to offer everything I need operationally. 

Andy

Nice parcels train. I like parcels trains.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

We've now run round the whole layout, so I think it's time for the stars of the show - the trains.

I don't have a set sequence, but I have a list of trains and try to operate them in rough order through the day. I start the sequence in the middle of the day and run through to the evening to allow me to run a few sleeper trains, for which I have a particular passion. The trains come from anytime between 1948 and the early '60s, but concentrated on the late '50s. I will post a picture of each train and will point out interesting vehicles as appropriate. For some I will also post a video as I think model railways are best when moving. The passenger trains have been compiled from the carriage working notices (thanks to Robert Carroll) and sometimes photos, but the goods and parcels trains are more guesswork as I don't have the equivalent goods working documents. Any constructive criticism would be welcome.

The first train is the down Aberdeen fish empties. I believe that this left Kings Cross about midday.

8E408FB2-E63D-48A6-8652-8D9580DBEF52.jpeg.193f755f67314d9ad3fed06a2a6c7a39.jpeg

V2 60850 on down Aberdeen fish empties.

The train is mainly formed of Hornby blue spot fish wagons all renumbered and weathered. There are also a couple of Parkside kits and a couple of old Wrenn vans. The Hornby vans are all coupled using the Roco system in NEM pockets which IMHO gives a big improvement over tension locks and allows quite close coupling as below.

AAB8F32F-8368-4AC7-9A2C-304D611D5AC6.jpeg.ed12c1a5a67591cab72e3413d92f0f37.jpeg

Hopefully this shows the Roco coupling to good advantage.

and here is a video of the train as it rounds the reverse curve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsXPBbKS9-U

• Like 12

On 02/12/2019 at 09:08, thegreenhowards said:

To this:

Andy

nice to see the rest of the layout, that K1 looks really good on that crossing, really captures the ECML south of the Welwyn Viaduct pre modernisation. Here is a good video of that area: 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

We've now run round the whole layout, so I think it's time for the stars of the show - the trains.

I don't have a set sequence, but I have a list of trains and try to operate them in rough order through the day. I start the sequence in the middle of the day and run through to the evening to allow me to run a few sleeper trains, for which I have a particular passion. The trains come from anytime between 1948 and the early '60s, but concentrated on the late '50s. I will post a picture of each train and will point out interesting vehicles as appropriate. For some I will also post a video as I think model railways are best when moving. The passenger trains have been compiled from the carriage working notices (thanks to Robert Carroll) and sometimes photos, but the goods and parcels trains are more guesswork as I don't have the equivalent goods working documents. Any constructive criticism would be welcome.

The first train is the down Aberdeen fish empties. I believe that this left Kings Cross about midday.

8E408FB2-E63D-48A6-8652-8D9580DBEF52.jpeg.193f755f67314d9ad3fed06a2a6c7a39.jpeg

The train is mainly formed of Hornby blue spot fish wagons all renumbered and weathered. There are also a couple of Parkside kits and a couple of old Wrenn vans. The Hornby vans are all coupled using the Roco system in NEM pockets which IMHO gives a big improvement over tension locks and allows quite close coupling as below.

AAB8F32F-8368-4AC7-9A2C-304D611D5AC6.jpeg.ed12c1a5a67591cab72e3413d92f0f37.jpeg

Hopefully this shows the Roco coupling to good advantage.

and here is a video of the train as it rounds the reverse curve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsXPBbKS9-U

Who made the fish vans? RTR or kits?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, croydon junction said:

nice to see the rest of the layout, that K1 looks really good on that crossing, really captures the ECML south of the Welwyn Viaduct pre modernisation. Here is a good video of that area: 

That is a lovely bit of film. What a pity 8mm film was so expensive in the good old days. If there had been digital cameras like we have today I am sure the run pass would have shown more of the coaching and freight stock.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

I think I can smell them from here! :picknose:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, croydon junction said:

Here is a good video of that area: 

Thanks for the link to the video which I've just sat down to watch. Some nice shots, but as Clieve says, it would have been nice to see more of the formations. Having said that there are some interesting views of what I think are Stanier period three coaches at c.7 mins and then again at 20:20. Does anyone have any thought on what service they may have been on?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Thanks for the link to the video which I've just sat down to watch. Some nice shots, but as Clieve says, it would have been nice to see more of the formations. Having said that there are some interesting views of what I think are Stanier period three coaches at c.7 mins and then again at 20:20. Does anyone have any thought on what service they may have been on?

I've seen a photo somewhere of an A3 just South of Peterborough, said to be taken in 1959, and that was hauling a rake of ex LMS stock, but I can't at the moment find any more detail of what the service might have been. It's a double chimney A3 and in colour, so the timescale stated is correct.

• RMweb Premium

Second move of the sequence is the 0915 York/ 0845 Hull to King's Cross. This was a 12 coach mark 1 formation and although not one of the ECML 'glamour' trains, it was one of few trains which included a Thompson kitchen car in the formation, so I wanted to model it. It had the added bonus of being part of the regular turn for the W1.

CE769E1D-48A9-4A1F-A8C9-89092DBECC04.jpeg.c84f51dfdff58b9a895962875a9d2238.jpeg

Here is the train lead by the W1, 60700 which is based on a Hornby model and uses Graeme King's excellent resin parts to provide the longer cab and cartezi axle. Two thirds of the train comprises fairly boring mark 1s, but the catering core is interesting, being formed of  FO,RK,SO (all Thompson) and then Mark 1 prototype FO E3083 which had a strange window arrangement and seats in twos which swivelled according to the direction of travel. It has been preserved on the Severn Valley Railway.

E33A6F09-4FC6-4137-BCBF-FBDA77D77158.jpeg.81ec8acc12b6f2bd3192cae03397e5fc.jpeg

Here is the FO/RK. Both are formed of Southern Pride sides on an old Bachmann donor.

44D35DE1-35AA-4E8C-AB9F-D0E96D245767.jpeg.037c99a86dffb4714748ef0bb1c0d7dc.jpeg

And here is the SO/FO pair. Again both are Southern Pride sides; the SO on a Bachmann donor and the prototype FO on an old Triang Hornby Mark 1.

And finally here is a link to a video of the train.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Next up in the sequence is the 1321 King's Cross-Royston. This is formed of a typical late '50s outer suburban set formed SLO, BS, CL, SLO, CL, BS. Four mark ones and in this case the rearmost CL, BS formed of Thompson stock as often happened. 

BEB7BF1C-8948-48D3-93F4-33478BC607D4.jpeg.8341c95a6ed12c47204b878df02466f6.jpeg

The B1, 61394, is a renumbered and weathered Bachmann model. The front SLO and mark 1 CL are formed of Mousa sides on a Bachmann donor while the other SLO is created directly from a Bachmann mark 1 SO with the toilet windows filled in and a repaint.

8F0F6664-4271-4D48-AEC5-D7AE32A7D1EB.jpeg.e70e639b67569f409ff8c191151b93a2.jpeg

Here is a short video of the train arriving at Gresley Jn. This shows the train off nicely, but highlights how much work there is to do on the station:(.

• Like 6

I'm going out on a limb with the following comment.

I realise that trains with coaches having mixed liveries were not uncommon on the real railways in the 1950s/60s but for some reason I don't think they look right in model form. I once had a train of Lima parcel vans in carmine and cream and I bought a maroon one to go in the middle but really didn't like it so sold it on.  I now stick to carmine and cream for all my coaches, even if not strictly correct for time period, as I like that livery much more than the plain maroon.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting comment and I know what you mean; it does look a bit strange sometimes.  I think it's a bit like the debate on weather or not. Personally, I try to replicate pictures that I find, so that means mixed liveries sometimes and weathering. You will be pleased to know that not all of Gresley Junction's trains are in mixed liveries!

• RMweb Premium

Next up on Gresley Jn is the 1345 suburban departure for Moorgate headed by N2, 69541. In practice this should be the 1339 from Welwyn Garden City but I have to ‘bend’ history to fit in with my fictional station!

B4C8AC51-099A-4E09-85F8-FDE770E3C66F.jpeg.cc5465d7676a8d7010fa887bffe90d40.jpeg

The N2 is Hornby while the quad art is a Kirk kit.

39865642-0F66-49BC-91CB-9A0A1D848BE9.jpeg.084ccec7cf964ae20a2d101f8cdb9224.jpeg

Here’s a video of the departure.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Our photographer has moved to Welwyn viaduct now, the the next few photos are likely to be of that area. Today we have a brand new EE Type 1 on the ‘Ashburton Pullman’ - the rubbish train from Ashburton grove to Blackridge tip. This is the return empties. I don’t have the freight WTT so don’t know what time this train should run...it just slots into my sequence when I can be bothered to load its cassette.

F7D5913C-F1D8-417C-B2DB-B81AFF7E2026.jpeg.53a456cc8a4ef7746b90c27c82326220.jpeg

The wagons are bogie sulphate wagons which were cascaded onto this train in the late ‘50s. I built them from Parkside kits.

And here is the video

Andy

• Like 11

26 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

Our photographer has moved to Welwyn viaduct now, the the next few photos are likely to be of that area. Today we have a brand new EE Type 1 on the ‘Ashburton Pullman’ - the rubbish train from Ashburton grove to Blackridge tip. This is the return empties. I don’t have the freight WTT so don’t know what time this train should run...it just slots into my sequence when I can be bothered to load its cassette.

F7D5913C-F1D8-417C-B2DB-B81AFF7E2026.jpeg.53a456cc8a4ef7746b90c27c82326220.jpeg

The wagons are bogie sulphate wagons which were cascaded onto this train in the late ‘50s. I built them from Parkside kits.

And here is the video

Andy

it looks like a journey would be very scenic, how much would a ticket have cost?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Still featuring the viaduct today. This is an up mixed goods headed by J17 65580 (Becs kit). J17s were rare on the GN, but I have seen a photo of one on a train similar to this - of course I can’t find the photo now!

F3621E31-394A-41FB-BBF3-2A98B89D835D.jpeg.1c3167eaefc23dd0d9f0a29f8ca7bc14.jpeg

Star of the show in this train, at least for me, is the ex GCR bogies fish van (8th vehicle). Some of you will have seen this on my workbench thread, Coulsdon Works, or on Write Writes. It’s just finished from a very old WSM etched brass kit and I think it looks rather imposing.

AE98DAB3-152C-4867-A631-0BA3CB28CB2B.jpeg.befcbc296819907a2e6fb8f4b8695fe8.jpeg

Here is the video.

Andy

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Still at the viaduct, but this time a down train, the 1421 King’s Cross- Cambridge formed of a standard Cambridge line Corridor 6 set hauled by a baby Deltic. This has two Gresley brakes(Kirk), three Mark 1s and a Thompson FK. These sets were used on the slower Cambridge trains as opposed to the famous beer trains which were faster and had a Gresley buffet car.

D06D1B8B-CB9A-4AAC-B5ED-55009A168DA6.jpeg.d0709d33ea3ee4b7ad675f4edc8011c5.jpeg

and a video

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Having recovered from an all nighter for the election, I can post the final pictures from this visit to the viaduct. Here we have a train from the very beginning of my time period, A1, 60117 as yet unnamed on the down West Riding. It was painted blue in July 1950, so I imagine this being shortly before then.

A621D50D-19B5-4699-8D2A-8582B577B74C.jpeg.a3390ad313280f3d71f290ed05e306fb.jpeg

The coaches are interesting as the first two and coaches 4&5 are streamlined stock off the pre war equivalent train.

53D3BE53-61C7-40C1-B0AD-390ACD93820F.jpeg.aa4f0b1924ebd8eb1e37b3fad854c350.jpeg

This pair was made from Mailcoach sides with the rest cobbled together from my spares box (written up here for those interested: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135510-coulsdon-works/&do=findComment&comment=3357918).2393FEC8-0C0E-46E5-97B8-8D0B7D260FF2.jpeg.c3683a03a31414fb2e558785dcbd0021.jpeg

while this pair came from the Gamston Bank layout owned by John Houldon.

It was also booked a twin streamlined FO in between the two pairs but this was sometimes substituted by a Thompson FO and this is what I’ve chosen to model - made from Southern Pride sides on a Bachmann donor.

573DC9A5-5582-4A34-ACBD-24688492BE93.jpeg.02f021874374e3f922ef47b2f30d427b.jpeg

The rest of the train is mainly Thompson stock (Bachmann) with a couple of Gresley end door vehicles as per the 1951 carriage notice. 
94C19988-255D-4DCE-9982-F7B7D4C98F39.jpeg.3aad457a5a0e4b765372ac23bfc9ec84.jpeg

The BCK is made from Mousa sides on a Hornby donor while the SK is a Kirk kit.

And here is the video.

Inserting link
  • Like 12