Gresley Junction

thegreenhowards

Thinking about the colour of crimsom some more, and Andy's Gresley BTO, the following might be of interest, albeit in preservation;

Taken leaving Loughborough in 2013, it does at least give a comparison between the maroon and the crimson, the latter being a bit, but not a huge amount lighter than the former. Also all the coaches look to have been not too long away from being painted. Although the GCR have come up with some silly paint schemes in the past, such as a lined 9F, I wouldn't have expected them to have got a basic shade wrong, certainly the maroon looks very convincing.

John.

IMG_5940 copyweb.jpg

Edited by John Tomlinson
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the response.

We share a hatred of painting. I think of it as the place one snatches defeat from the jaws of victory. If the paint doesn't go wrong, the varnishing as like as not will!

Brushing is definitely a lot safer and more controlable.

Best wishes,

John.

John,

Overall, I rather enjoy painting although, as you say, it does have the ability to be very frustrating! The bit I don’t like is masking. And I’m still nervous if my airbrush. Give me a palate of browns and a sable and I’m happy!

54DBF4BC-F362-4558-8917-D80AA011B2B5.jpeg.a94e9cb10cf2b0ecb631ec0c5010bde0.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mark90 said:

I have recently painted my first coach and it has been what I would diplomatically call 'a fun learning experience'... 

All I can say is keep going. You learn from your mistakes and it doesn’t take too long before you can get a decent result. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, thegreenhowards said:

All I can say is keep going. You learn from your mistakes and it doesn’t take too long before you can get a decent result. 

Thanks for the encouragement, Andy.

I decided to have a go at the Ratio/Parkside MR Bain non-corridor coaches and I'm actually fairly happy with the result of the first one (after some cursing and touching up!). The big lesson has been to not bother to try to paint the door handles / grab rails as I just end up messing it up and the end result doesn't stand up to modern standards. I think next time I will file these off and add brass parts after painting. 

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Mark90 said:

Thanks for the encouragement, Andy.

I decided to have a go at the Ratio/Parkside MR Bain non-corridor coaches and I'm actually fairly happy with the result of the first one (after some cursing and touching up!). The big lesson has been to not bother to try to paint the door handles / grab rails as I just end up messing it up and the end result doesn't stand up to modern standards. I think next time I will file these off and add brass parts after painting. 

I'm not familiar with those kits - have you posted your efforts on RMWeb?

With Kirk kits I normally add brass coach grab rails (because these aren't provided in the kit) but make do with the moulded door handles with a blob of Humbrol brass (number 54). This doesn't look as good as brass handles but it's good enough for me and bears scrutiny as a layout coach.

Andy

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

With Kirk kits I normally add brass coach grab rails (because these aren't provided in the kit) but make do with the moulded door handles with a blob of Humbrol brass (number 54). This doesn't look as good as brass handles but it's good enough for me and bears scrutiny as a layout coach.

Andy

I'd second what Andy says. For coaches of LNER origin the MJT handles are excellent, just remember to drill the holes before you assemble the coach. I'm sure for Midland coaches someone - Comet perhaps - offer an apppropriate item.

I use a gold marker pen to just catch the moulded door handles, and this looks fine at normal viewing distance. I also file off the door bumpers if they are on the beading that will be lined as they make it more difficult for the lining to settle properly.

John.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

I'd second what Andy says. For coaches of LNER origin the MJT handles are excellent, just remember to drill the holes before you assemble the coach. I'm sure for Midland coaches someone - Comet perhaps - offer an apppropriate item.

I use a gold marker pen to just catch the moulded door handles, and this looks fine at normal viewing distance. I also file off the door bumpers if they are on the beading that will be lined as they make it more difficult for the lining to settle properly.

John.

John,

Lining is not something I've tried on the beading. I normally use transfers and add it just below. However I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet shortly on my O gauge Gresley 61'6" stock which I'm painting in 1930s livery. Can you say anything about how you do lining?

Andy

1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

John,

Lining is not something I've tried on the beading. I normally use transfers and add it just below. However I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet shortly on my O gauge Gresley 61'6" stock which I'm painting in 1930s livery. Can you say anything about how you do lining?

Andy

Andy, I've used HMRS Pressfix in the past, although from reports elsewhere the product is going through a sticky patch. My last set of BR/ GW loco lining was out of register, and I find my remaining sheet with the "First" and "No Smoking" for coaches is as well, annoying as that's all that's left to do on my Kirk Gresley Suburbans!

I cut the transfer to length for the continuous sections of beading, then apply as normal, securing a bit at one end first before doing the rest allows you to try to keep it taut and so straight. There is enough give in the glue to enable a bit of push and shove afterwards to sit evenly along the beading - you need to sight along from the end for this. The glue is sufficiently tenacious when dry to hold quite firm.

That said, my last effort on my troublesome Isinglass Sleeper (which warped) isn't one of my best and does wobble a bit viewed close in from the ends. It does however not really notice side on at a reasonable viewing distance. I should say that otherwise I've only done Kirk Gresleys, and haven't any experience of brass sides.

Whether waterslide would be better I don't know. My few experiences with Fox I've found very disappointing, as they seem to break when you look at them, and I'd take my hat off to anyone who can apply lining without a bit of push and shove.

John.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

Andy, I've used HMRS Pressfix in the past, although from reports elsewhere the product is going through a sticky patch. My last set of BR/ GW loco lining was out of register, and I find my remaining sheet with the "First" and "No Smoking" for coaches is as well, annoying as that's all that's left to do on my Kirk Gresley Suburbans!

I cut the transfer to length for the continuous sections of beading, then apply as normal, securing a bit at one end first before doing the rest allows you to try to keep it taut and so straight. There is enough give in the glue to enable a bit of push and shove afterwards to sit evenly along the beading - you need to sight along from the end for this. The glue is sufficiently tenacious when dry to hold quite firm.

That said, my last effort on my troublesome Isinglass Sleeper (which warped) isn't one of my best and does wobble a bit viewed close in from the ends. It does however not really notice side on at a reasonable viewing distance. I should say that otherwise I've only done Kirk Gresleys, and haven't any experience of brass sides.

Whether waterslide would be better I don't know. My few experiences with Fox I've found very disappointing, as they seem to break when you look at them, and I'd take my hat off to anyone who can apply lining without a bit of push and shove.

John.

Thanks John,

I'm amazed you can get it to sit on top of the beading. I was assuming I’d have to learn how to use a bow pen in order to do my O gauge teak coaches. It would be great if I can stay in my comfort zone with transfers.

I'm surprised you’ve struggled with Fox transfers. I always find them excellent.

Regards

Andy

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

This evening I’m featuring the 2024 KX- Cambridge which was a semi fast service with non corridor stock. It was strengthened with a couple of CLs. I’m not sure whether the CLs would be on the front or the back and I only have one spare so you’ve got a CL and an S instead.  All this rake did in a day was work Royston-KX in the morning peak. Then sit in the carriage sidings all day and work this train back to Cambridge. No wonder the railways lost money!

I want an excuse to use my K1 and they did occasionally work Cambridge- KX trains in the early ‘50s, so here is 62059. I know this is probably verging towards the exceptional - if anyone can give me a better excuse to use it, I’m all ears!

455B1534-7A12-46DE-B9CF-A7F8D3ABE50D.jpeg.ec05481cfa84088a7713136765a74f26.jpeg

Now a couple of shots showing the full rake.

8BFA0743-C350-4B0A-A002-06E952441AFF.jpeg.52934d412aaf1fe46a7e2bc40853ba3b.jpeg

45A4AA60-106B-4EAA-98A4-2D3D300A5BB6.jpeg.76ca26f54731a82350a86187cdb62fbe.jpeg

• Like 12

5 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Andy

Not yet - I’m awaiting transfers but thought I might post something when the first one is complete. 

5 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

John.

Thank you, John. That’s really helpful advice. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Thanks John,

I'm amazed you can get it to sit on top of the beading. I was assuming I’d have to learn how to use a bow pen in order to do my O gauge teak coaches. It would be great if I can stay in my comfort zone with transfers.

I'm surprised you’ve struggled with Fox transfers. I always find them excellent.

Regards

Andy

To be fair it is some years since I tried with Fox. Perhaps I should give them another go.

The other manufacturer I do want to try out are Railtec, as although being waterslide these apparently do not have visible film when dry. Could be very useful if the HMRS range has permanently gone down the drain as it may still avoid the need for varnishing.

How I miss Shows! I didn't go to many but the good ones did give a regular opportunity to chat to manufacturers and buy stuff to try out.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 09/11/2020 at 15:07, thegreenhowards said:

Today I feature the arrival of the 1254 from KX. This is shown in the WTT to arrive at Hatfield at 1345, the same time as the train an hour earlier leaves for Moorgate. I think this was possible because the trains arrived on the down side and shunted across during the hour or so they had at Hatfield so they subsequently left from the up side. My platform arrangement doesn’t allow that, so I have had to delay the arrival of the terminating train. Anyway, here she is headed by BRCW type 2, D5312.

Only just seen this, but to confirm what I suspect you already knew and/or have had confirmed by others... As a keen spotter at Hatfield in the late 50s/early 60s, I recall that the sequence of events was as follows: terminating trains from KX/Moorgate/Broad St. ran into the outside face of the down (island) platform. After the passengers had got out, the train would reverse so that the stock stood more or less directly opposite and central to the up platform, and the engine would run round using the goods arrival line on the far (west) side of the coaches. The engine then coupled up to southern end of the stock and ran forward over the crossovers to the up slow, and finally reversed into the up bay awaiting departure. This could take some time as (obviously) there needed to be a break in traffic to allow the train to get across the up and down main lines and onto the up slow. When the Hatfield trains were taken over by DMUs, they also followed this pattern (without the run-round, of course). This inevitable sequence had a curiously reassuring and relaxing effect on the observer, leading to the delusion that all was right with the world.

Eventually Hatfield ceased to be a termination point for many London trains, and the up bay was taken out of use - mid/late '60s? I have a vague recollection that by the late '60s, terminating DMUs standing over at Hatfield were put in the up yard - by that time largely disused for goods - and drew forward into the single up platform for loading and departure. But I could be wrong on that. 

I realise that you are unable to replicate this sequence, but thought that you might find this description of interest - apologies if I am merely repeating others' comments. Congratulations on a really excellent layout. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

To be fair it is some years since I tried with Fox. Perhaps I should give them another go.

The other manufacturer I do want to try out are Railtec, as although being waterslide these apparently do not have visible film when dry. Could be very useful if the HMRS range has permanently gone down the drain as it may still avoid the need for varnishing.

How I miss Shows! I didn't go to many but the good ones did give a regular opportunity to chat to manufacturers and buy stuff to try out.

John.

John,

Neither Fox nor Modelmaster (which are the two I mainly use ) have a visible film if applied on a gloss surface. Even if applied to a Matt surface some Liquid decal film largely  hides the film.

Andy

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, DSC said:

Only just seen this, but to confirm what I suspect you already knew and/or have had confirmed by others... As a keen spotter at Hatfield in the late 50s/early 60s, I recall that the sequence of events was as follows: terminating trains from KX/Moorgate/Broad St. ran into the outside face of the down (island) platform. After the passengers had got out, the train would reverse so that the stock stood more or less directly opposite and central to the up platform, and the engine would run round using the goods arrival line on the far (west) side of the coaches. The engine then coupled up to southern end of the stock and ran forward over the crossovers to the up slow, and finally reversed into the up bay awaiting departure. This could take some time as (obviously) there needed to be a break in traffic to allow the train to get across the up and down main lines and onto the up slow. When the Hatfield trains were taken over by DMUs, they also followed this pattern (without the run-round, of course). This inevitable sequence had a curiously reassuring and relaxing effect on the observer, leading to the delusion that all was right with the world.

Eventually Hatfield ceased to be a termination point for many London trains, and the up bay was taken out of use - mid/late '60s? I have a vague recollection that by the late '60s, terminating DMUs standing over at Hatfield were put in the up yard - by that time largely disused for goods - and drew forward into the single up platform for loading and departure. But I could be wrong on that. 

I realise that you are unable to replicate this sequence, but thought that you might find this description of interest - apologies if I am merely repeating others' comments. Congratulations on a really excellent layout. 

Many thanks for this DSC,

I had worked out the terminating on down side and shunting across bits from track plans and photos, but I wasn’t aware of where the run round took place so that’s a fascinating extra insight. As I’ve explained before, I try to follow the timetable but have no claims to have a faithful representation of Hatfield. This is the only move which I’ve been unable to replicate.

Many thanks for taking the time to post.

Andy

• Like 1

Two small final points - trains terminating at Hatfield used the same platform as the Luton line departures, and the platform on the down main was almost never used by stopping trains, certainly in the period c1958-63 and during the hours in which an 8-12 year-old boy was likely to be trainspotting. For some reason I can clearly recall astonishment among the massed spotters when a train actually stopped on the down main platform.

No need to respond to this post. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

This evening it’s the 1733 Leeds-KX headed by 60146, Peregrine.
D636A9A8-F105-4D73-824F-49528EA5C92D.jpeg.1e23085af45ec2fc2c07d29e4336b79a.jpeg

This was a 12 coach train and I tried to represent the 1959 formation all in maroon. I almost managed but it needed three CKs and I had to resort to a blood and custard one at the rear.

057231D7-6C1D-47A3-A181-000EAB3B2003.jpeg.6a33625d8409aa77eff9fd93a9e43b66.jpeg

It was mainly Mk 1s but included a Gresley RTS and BG.

39267655-F388-4514-B0F4-D3567A42D857.jpeg.87abb84c876394fa7d4f6fe71f35b032.jpeg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

This evening I feature the 2025 KX- Hull class C goods with K3, 61912.

249E17BF-A4B3-40EA-968D-507B60B1957F.jpeg.581878aee8a559e78cd870dc17486e48.jpeg

Another view on the down main coming through the station. Further to DSC’s comments about trains at Hatfield not often stopping on the down main, you will see that this can not happen at Gresley Jn as there is no platform. 

A9CB1F3E-A036-466C-94A6-B3D210076AA9.jpeg.288b08963a4ddf81ac37683effc3df55.jpeg

There’s a video of this one as it has a newly sound fitted chip.

Edited by thegreenhowards
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Tonight its the turn of the slightly late running 1715 Hull-KX which was delayed by a carriage defect (a.k.a. I had to fit the Hunt couplings to my Kirk RF!) It’s headed by A3, 60110, Robert the Devil tonight.

B5BAC3FB-03B3-49EE-AE6F-5F7573AAB2BD.jpeg.6dfed431f4fe139d929a1cbd889b09da.jpeg

The whole train gives another interesting mix of interpretations of Blood and Custard with the RF being a distinctly ‘ full fat’ custard.

5FCE48C1-650B-411E-BCF7-3A4A34EE0855.jpeg.184a6012196d97b4c7a7e556e538e7fc.jpegThis is the only appearance of this RF in my sequence - not the best used coach.

CC0EF7B2-C6A4-442C-9E86-6346F0BCDC1C.jpeg.6d76a1ced85cfba28c05e0e156863d6b.jpeg

Here is the video.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Tonight we have the 1830 Doncaster-KX relief headed by A2/3, Sun Castle (Graeme King/ Bachmann).

DE962D1C-9375-4913-9825-076BA45D47A2.jpeg.9197c914df8eb729ae0ad2febca44475.jpeg

This was a rake of Gresley stock mainly EV with a few all door coaches. My rake is more or less correct made up mainly of Kirk and Hornby coaches with the CK being MJT sides. I tried an unusual angle on this. It’s tight getting the camera in and I don’t think it worked very well but at least it makes a change.

CC083B1D-E9F5-436C-A2C8-A7E4E41DB392.jpeg.24df707987658e51e99483a1a4544cac.jpeg

More uniform (less lumpy?!) custard on this rake but the blood is still very variable!

747834E6-4101-42C7-A7CF-229737A79954.jpeg.be479c12a9267d70d290bf0af49a5add.jpeg

Here’s the video.

• Like 11