Gresley Junction

thegreenhowards

33 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

Gresley Jn hasn’t seen much use recently as I’ve been concentrating on my garden O gauge during the warmer months. However, last week the postman brought a nice package in the shape of an Accurascale Deltic ordered over three years ago (at Ally Pally pre Covid). First impressions were very good. The packaging is impressive, if bulky, and the detail on the loco is a cut above other RTR versions. I had one bogie chain loose which had to be glued back but otherwise it was in immaculate condition. 

Having run it in on the rolling road, I gave it a run on the up Tees Tyne Pullman this morning. They have captured the Deltic drone well and I think it sounds magnificent under power. There does seem to be a bit of a rattle as it slows down (evident on the video) which I think may be the speaker cone rattling against something. I will have to investigate. He is the video so you can appreciate the sound.

I will now add all the extra detail, investigate the speaker and need to decide which train to allocate it to permanently as it’s prodigious pulling power seems wasted on an 8 coach Pullman! More photos in due course. 

Andy

Well that cheered up my Monday morning!! Staying as "Pinza"?

John.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

Well that cheered up my Monday morning!! Staying as "Pinza"?

John.

Yes, I like the racehorses and they were the only ones named from new (I think?). I always think a Deltic looks strange without a name, so that’s a good reason to keep her as Pinza. Plus Accurascale provide nice etched nameplates to fit and it would be a shame to waste them.

Andy

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for posting this Andy.  Still waiting for mine to arrive at Wakefield West, even if it is beyond my timeframe.  Looks and sounds lovely, it does seem to be an absolutely superb model.

Cheers

Tony

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

I’m shocked that it’s over a year since I posted on here! Both Jonathan Weallans at Warley and Gilbert Barnett when I visited him and Peterborough North asked what had happened to Gresley Jn. The truth is that I’ve been concentrating on O gauge projects recently and haven’t really used Gresley Jn for some time and It had become a bit of a dumping ground for stock which I’d taken down to the club. 

Anyway, last week I tidied it up and ran some trains. And this week I finished my D.227 Gresley SLF which I write up on Coulsdon Works. This called for running the Night Scotsman which is now nearly complete. Here she is.

IMG_0257.jpeg.bfef4403086fdb35f39831f5aa6440db.jpeg

The new SLF is just behind the blood and custard SLSTP. Here’s a better view.

IMG_0258.jpeg.b04c4edfcab2755703aa9451f1bff2b6.jpeg

The formation as of winter 1958/9 was: BG; 3x Thompson SLSTP/ SLSP; SLF, 2xTwin SLF, 2xSLF, BG. All the SLFs were longer ones with 10 Berths but I don’t know whether they were Gresley or Thompson versions. Anyway, I’ve assumed that they were Gresleys and I now have all the coaches required apart from one twin SLF. They’re all kit built apart from the BGs. Here is another view of the whole train.

IMG_0259.jpeg.606f1763f2eb5414825f40036647ec8a.jpeg

Andy

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A new purchase gave me another excuse to run something on Gresley Jn. This time it’s a Bachmann V2. Not very exciting but a lovely model. I’ve fitted sound and weathered it as described on Coulsdon Works here.

And here she is running on the down Aberdeen fish empties approaching Gresley Jn station.

IMG_0342.jpeg.04352542c2fa274b0a611c9d7c99e520.jpeg

I’ve also done a video which hopefully shows off the sound install to good effect.

• Like 15