Gresley Junction

thegreenhowards

• RMweb Gold

Yes, sleepers too - sadly I think the Southern only had one - Mr Bulleid's 12 bed "Inspection Saloon" No.100S, so I don't think I'll be building a sleeper train any time soon!

[I am excepting the CIWL Night Ferry which ran on the SR and which I already have].

When I had a BR blue era layout in the past (keep it to yourself!), I did run a set of the old Mk.1 sleepers - were they Lima? - I can't remember.

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Teague said:

Yes, sleepers too - sadly I think the Southern only had one - Mr Bulleid's 12 bed "Inspection Saloon" No.100S, so I don't think I'll be building a sleeper train any time soon!

[I am excepting the CIWL Night Ferry which ran on the SR and which I already have].

When I had a BR blue era layout in the past (keep it to yourself!), I did run a set of the old Mk.1 sleepers - were they Lima? - I can't remember.

Tony

And I thought you were a died in the wool steam man! I think they were Hornby sleepers with the horrid silver windows.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

And I thought you were a died in the wool steam man! I think they were Hornby sleepers with the horrid silver windows.

Those were the ones!

I used to do BR blue when it was current and I had a whole collection of diseasels but a move of house (followed later by a divorce) meant that lot got disposed of.

It was only then that I saw the Southern / steam light!

Tony

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Another ‘trophy’ train today, the up Heart of Midlothian headed by A4, 60007, Sir Nigel Gresley.

55C0121C-0D7A-4D3A-81B6-96593CE5BD72.jpeg.063ceeaa6f77bbe5aabf7a4f8464239e.jpeg

This is the Summer 1952 formation and was one of the Festival of Britain all Mark 1 example trains - loading to 13 coaches in this case.

I have two similar pictures of the train as I couldn’t decide which I preferred. Any views welcome.

165A5F28-027B-49DC-B75D-45762C272048.jpeg.7bda654b714280d218dcec1f428dd71a.jpeg

940B212B-B4DC-471B-A16B-DB822E84B913.jpeg.bf5e68971e6f20980f078e459ff0f3a5.jpeg

Most of the train is RTR, but the catering core consists of an RF/RK/RSO combo of which only the RFO is available RTR. The RK was comet and the RSO Southern Pride.

0646CA7B-0E8A-4F8D-9395-8F6F90F8FE30.jpeg.8e814fb80978c54ed327f78ba3a773e8.jpeg

459BECF9-AC86-49EB-827B-1A57C85B67D6.jpeg.8b3f5067c9864930aa6a4f06594cfd59.jpeg

And finally the video.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Today we’re back to the mundane with an N2, 69546, on an inner suburban working from KX. 

CF6560FC-8E54-4F4A-A29C-AF83739EF6DE.jpeg.ccad5c0e72721983503a70ca8d4a13bb.jpeg

On the right you can see my test fitting of the new running in board. I still need to work out how to bed in a ‘square peg to a round hole’. Any tips welcome.

The other scenic work I’ve been doing is to produce a warehouse style back scene above the canal. This will replace the two photos I had of the Kings Cross goods yard. Here is a distant view.  
1D8D0FFB-1A75-4EF6-A2AD-72692DEB5410.jpeg.71992e07275cab7830664b82d518181a.jpeg

They obviously need the windows weathered or obscured to hide the sky behind but I’m struggling a bit to get the perspective right as they’re too close to the canal. Could anyone with more artistic ability than me (I.e. any at all!) suggest what I should do with them? If it doesn’t work at all they will be built into a ‘full fat’ warehouse for the factory area on the other side of the room.

Finally here is a view of the train at rest in platform 4. The mark 1 set you have seen many times before on this sequence but at least the N2 is making its first appearance for about a year.

FD68277D-B396-455C-A744-56C1687E24FB.jpeg.fbf7c80ef3c44903893f2cee70af061a.jpeg

• Like 12

G'day Folks.

I think with the warehouse, you'll have to fit all the windows, then 'Back' them with mid to dark grey 'paper or card' an inch or two behind the windows, that'll give it a bit of depth.

manna

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, manna said:

G'day Folks.

I think with the warehouse, you'll have to fit all the windows, then 'Back' them with mid to dark grey 'paper or card' an inch or two behind the windows, that'll give it a bit of depth.

manna

Thanks Manna,

I think I could paint the wall behind the windows to give that effect. I think there would still be a problem that the warehouse is too close to the canal. This photo shows it better.

C792AF77-D71F-4BAB-894E-4D481857F3C6.jpeg.ad795aae3a97c167b84cd895376954b8.jpeg

I think I somehow need to raise the warehouses and paint in some foreground but I’m not sure that would work.

Andy

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, manna said:

G'day Folks.

manna

I agree, I have just stuck black paper immediately behind the glazing and it works fine.

Tony

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

I agree, I have just stuck black paper immediately behind the glazing and it works fine.

Tony

G'Day Folks.

Yes that would work. 

Two other things, 'A',  (bigger job) could the tunnels and canal be moved a couple of inches forward, or the backscene moved back a couple of inches, just to give you that extra room ???

'B' take out the small dock, and have the barges 'load/unload direct into the warehouse !!

manna

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks.

Yes that would work. 

Two other things, 'A',  (bigger job) could the tunnels and canal be moved a couple of inches forward, or the backscene moved back a couple of inches, just to give you that extra room ???

'B' take out the small dock, and have the barges 'load/unload direct into the warehouse !!

manna

The back scene is the wall between the two rooms in my loft. I don’t think it’s structural but I’m not sure I want to put that to the test! Bringing the tunnels forward is possible...but quite a lot of work I suspect.

I like option B!

Thanks

Andy

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

I think I could paint the wall behind the windows to give that effect. I think there would still be a problem that the warehouse is too close to the canal.

2 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

I have just stuck black paper immediately behind the glazing and it works fine.

1 hour ago, manna said:

take out the small dock, and have the barges 'load/unload direct into the warehouse

An old friend used to simulate windows with black gloss paint. Very effective "from normal viewing distances".

Regarding the canal, I'd take out the dock and have the warehouses backing directly on to the cut - windows only, doors would be on a different side.

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

An old friend used to simulate windows with black gloss paint. Very effective "from normal viewing distances".

Regarding the canal, I'd take out the dock and have the warehouses backing directly on to the cut - windows only, doors would be on a different side.

Thanks John,

Should the black gloss go straight on the back of the windows or set back a little?

And couldn’t the dock be used for unloading directly through the doors? 

Also does anyone have a bright idea what I should do to the right of the warehouse where the loft ceiling comes down to prevent a full height warehouse?

Andy

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

Should the black gloss go straight on the back of the windows or set back a little?

My friend just used paint and no glazing, so straight on the back of the windows should work.

33 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

And couldn’t the dock be used for unloading directly through the doors? 

That could work too.

33 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

Also does anyone have a bright idea what I should do to the right of the warehouse where the loft ceiling comes down to prevent a full height warehouse?

That's a tricky one. Perhaps some greyish faint representation of buildings? Not sure.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

I would put it straight onto the back, otherwise there's a risk that the window frames, glazing bars etc. can cast a shadow onto the black surface and spoil the effect.

• Agree 1

Andy

I think there are plenty of warehouses that are built right on the edge of waterways.

They would often have cranes, or block and tackle, to take loads in one out of the warehouse various floors.

I live near York and googled images of “york Ouse warehouse “ .....most are now flats but you get the idea.

I can remember seeing similar situations in Skipton, Leeds and The Potteries areas...so I think it was a widespread practice.

Jon

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This evening we have an up returning excursion headed by 60800, Green Arrow.

DC293914-C022-47B2-8A5C-FA8E4B899846.jpeg.6cf059312f1bed6a09300ce9fe8d880c.jpeg

And here it is running through platform 3.

C33F63C7-547B-4D94-99B3-EE4A65EBCF3E.jpeg.36fbaf190f95c7d948888b716eea2522.jpeg

I suspect this should be formed largely of open stock, but I don’t quite have enough and I was thwarted on some of the vehicles I do have by coupling incompatibility. Green Arrow is my recently completed Jamieson Comet V2 which I bought in two parts off eBay, finished off the body and got it to fit on the chassis. The Bachmann body which came with the Comet chassis has been sold on. Now the weather’s improving it might actually get weathered this week.

88E722CA-0040-468B-8C23-303743F7A5A7.jpeg.a4aa3e81f9b6dd9df785e9972ec630cf.jpeg

There are five opens at the front of the train.

65A12DCD-7861-4613-9C49-C31AB09E65A0.jpeg.25186cc0cb641c09685977e4d497671a.jpeg

A Kirk Gresley BTO.

C45B3DFA-7559-4DE2-83F4-4CA79E63F531.jpeg.bb7aa1ca5c4e0cba93fa5b7ecd4813df.jpeg
A Mailcoach tourist twin TO.

6EC47EC4-9F02-4B17-84E2-7E6C13184167.jpeg.a7d5e7972c5d19c5cbe204d6426e718b.jpeg

And an Isinglass D.307 steel twin TO. This one should probably have straight ends, but the kit came with domed ends and that’s what the diagram shows so that’s how it was built. Subsequent pictures from Headstock and Clive M have proved that they were actually built with straight ends so I need to change this one but can’t summon up the enthusiasm at the moment!

7CDD9E81-A113-4CC9-86A2-C5420055EF1D.jpeg.70eac6f38795a2f29e6896dd719417a9.jpeg

Then we have an ex-GNR 6 wheel kitchen car which was built from cutting and shutting bits of Kirk kits.

The end of the train comprises two EV TKs and an EV BTK (all Kirk bought largely as is off eBay). I intend to replace these with an FO (which I have but it has Hunt couplings and this rake doesn’t yet), a couple of D.186 TOs and a tourist BTO in due course.E328DA7B-2818-4DBD-9F4E-445004D3EB75.jpeg.c5a8bfea4ea68ebf78c0ff3fe7a2255e.jpeg

Andy

Edited by thegreenhowards
  • Like 10

Hi Andy,

I'd like to ask you a question about "BR crimson", which I've been wondering about for a while, and has been triggered by the pic above of 60800 in your station. This isn't in any way a criticism of your models, but just something I'd really like to know the answer to.

In the picture, we have three types of Crimson. First up, that on the Mk1 suburbans. I assume this is the Bachmann colour, but it matches closely the Railmatch variant - IIRC no.313 - when you put them side by side there's no discernible difference. Versions two and three are on the lead coaches behind 60800, namely the Gresley BTO, then the Mailcoach twin. All three are different, yet over the years I've seen them all plus umpteen other shades in between on folk's models at Shows.

What do you reckon the answer is, I'd dearly love to know!

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

Hi Andy,

I'd like to ask you a question about "BR crimson", which I've been wondering about for a while, and has been triggered by the pic above of 60800 in your station. This isn't in any way a criticism of your models, but just something I'd really like to know the answer to.

In the picture, we have three types of Crimson. First up, that on the Mk1 suburbans. I assume this is the Bachmann colour, but it matches closely the Railmatch variant - IIRC no.313 - when you put them side by side there's no discernible difference. Versions two and three are on the lead coaches behind 60800, namely the Gresley BTO, then the Mailcoach twin. All three are different, yet over the years I've seen them all plus umpteen other shades in between on folk's models at Shows.

What do you reckon the answer is, I'd dearly love to know!

John.

John,

That is a very good question! As far as my railway is concerned the answer is ‘all of them’! 

As a rule, I hate painting crimson and cream or indeed anything which requires masking. It always seems to go wrong for me. If I have to paint things ‘crimson’, I use Halfords Ford Rosso Red which is the colour on the Tourist TTO. The suburban mk1s are, as you say, the Bachmann colour. While the Kirk BSO looks more like maroon than crimson but I didn’t paint this.

I’m far too young to remember crimson and cream and photo rendition of reds was notoriously unreliable, so that’s my excuse! I’m told that the shade varied and/or faded in real life so a range of reds is probably acceptable, I think the Bachmann shade and the TTO shade are OK, but I suspect I really ought to repaint the Kirk BSO. That’s not going to happen though for the reasons above.

I’m thoroughly enjoying painting my O gauge stuff in teak liveries - no need for masking or even spraying. It can all be done by brush with which I’m much happier.

Andy

Andy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the response.

We share a hatred of painting. I think of it as the place one snatches defeat from the jaws of victory. If the paint doesn't go wrong, the varnishing as like as not will!

Brushing is definitely a lot safer and more controlable.

Best wishes,

John.

• Friendly/supportive 1