KR Models announce the Fell in OO and N.

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
On 24/11/2019 at 17:44, cctransuk said:

18100?

DHP1?

.... and, if you include trip locos / shunters - TAURUS, 11001, D0226, D0227, D2999; (and I'm sure that others will find more).

1 word... Leader.

but i’ll sign up for a EOI for a Fell.

• RMweb Gold

Expression of interest duly made - OO gauge DCC sound.

Happy to let the typos in the flyer slide - some of the emails that I have dashed off in haste are horrendous in that respect.  Let those who are without sin etc.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DavidB-AU said:

Now if it actually had 4 motors and a working replica of the gearbox inside, I might be interested! I have played with the sectioned miniature at NRM.

Cheers

David

I've got a Lego version with 2 motors driving through a single diff...almost enough to make 'Chard loose his lunch.  Doesn't let smoke out, works actually quite well.  Is noisy, especially at low speeds.  (one sets one motor to full chat, then drives with the other one).  I don't think I have photos of it on the web, as I'm remiss on photos since Flickr went to 1000 maximum...

James

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Out of curiosity why was the wheel arrangement changed from 4-8-4 to 4-4-4-4 ?

Because the central rods conflicted with the internal gearing. Something I jocularly cited when criticising DJ mechanisms and something which has caused concern on the part of some people when the original design of the GT3 gearing was made public.

To my mind, it’s simple. the coupling rods must be present so let them do the job of driving the coupled wheels. On DJ models, there had to be so much slop in the coupling rods to cope with the internal gearing that on four-coupled locomotives the rods thrashed about at odd angles. The problem was less evident on six-coupled locomotives but the rods needed to be in a single piece. That minimised the odd angles the rods assumed but limited flexibility. Sorry to burble on.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, adb968008 said:

1 word... Leader.

but i’ll sign up for a EOI for a Fell.

Leader - in a sense; but 36001 was the first of what was intended to be a class, and was not the only one on the (abhorted) production line.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 24/11/2019 at 15:10, Steamport Southport said:

Already available in model form.

Jason

Yes

I wonder if KR have bought two Judith Edge Kits?  Or better still do they have nay drawings to work from?

They may realise then that  the 4-Do-4 has some differences body wise to the 4-4-4-4.

After seeing the attempt at gearing they made on GT3 this could be a real doozie.

Baz

1 minute ago, Barry O said:

Yes

I wonder if KR have bought two Judith Edge Kits?  Or better still do they have nay drawings to work from?

They may realise then that  the 4-Do-4 has some differences body wise to the 4-4-4-4.

After seeing the attempt at gearing they made on GT3 this could be a real doozie.

Baz

The original works drawings are available from the (N)RM - I bought a set when I intended trying to correct a Dinosaur Diesels kit; (which was promptly sold-on when Judith Edge announced their kit).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, cctransuk said:

The original works drawings are available from the (N)RM - I bought a set when I intended trying to correct a Dinosaur Diesels kit; (which was promptly sold-on when Judith Edge announced their kit).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Does that have the modifications on as well as I know it took Mike ages to get his head around some of the changes?

Baz

• RMweb Premium

I went through all the drawings in the NRM collection and it still took a long time to piece everything together, one or two were missing as well. 10100 was modified in all sorts of ways more or less all through its life - and until it was painted green it's impossible to tell which side or end you are looking at in photos. Bizarrely BR put two LH crests on in the black livery but a LH and a RH one when it was painted green.

There is what looks like a GA in the old OPC collection at York but it doesn't have a single dimension on it, all the rest are various detail drawings. Judging by the rapidity of all the modifications I would say that it was fairly unlikely to have been built the same as first drawn.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I have a lawnmower you can borrow for the sound file...

I think you'd need more than one lawnmower, even if it was run over a rockery...

(I said _pardon_ ?  )

James the retired stoker who spent enough time with a pair of screamin' Jimmy's  (92v12 NA's ). to have some experience of LOUD...and of supercharged diesels. )

• Friendly/supportive 1