KR Models announce the Fell in OO and N.

AY Mod

6 minutes ago, Holmesfeldian said:

A curious omission - I wonder if one of the notable box shifters is planning on announcing an 'exclusive' as-built incarnation before too long.

Or maybe the 4-4-4-4 is easier to construct to take small radii curves and a 4-8-4 is a nightmare.

I can't imagine a subset of people who want a Fell who want it in 'absolute original form only and won't buy anything else' being very large and that surely would be enough to stem any competition from another source.

Unless, UNLESS Hornby recalled thinking about it in 2016 and just happen to have an early EP erm 3d print to show at Glasgow.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Or maybe the 4-4-4-4 is easier to construct to take small radii curves and a 4-8-4 is a nightmare.

I can't imagine a subset of people who want a Fell who want it in 'absolute original form only and won't buy anything else' being very large and that surely would be enough to stem any competition from another source.

Unless, UNLESS Hornby recalled thinking about it in 2016 and just happen to have an early EP erm 3d print to show at Glasgow.

Jouef, Roco and others have produced 4-8-4 (2D2) locos without any major difficulties. Seems like a simpler option.

8 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Jouef, Roco and others have produced 4-8-4 (2D2) locos without any major difficulties. Seems like a simpler option.

Not familiar with them, but what is the minimum radius?

North American HO seems to have a 22" minimum for 4-8-4 steam (or about an R3.5 if wikipedia is correct on the Hornby R's)

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, mdvle said:

Not familiar with them, but what is the minimum radius?

North American HO seems to have a 22" minimum for 4-8-4 steam (or about an R3.5 if wikipedia is correct on the Hornby R's)

The Jouef 2D2s built to go round R2 curves. I don't know the spec for the Roco version but I would expect the same.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, mikesndbs said:

LOL ok, so the original loco once the middle rods were removed was still said to be a 4-8-4 as the drive was still 8 wheels, I guess maybe a more accurate description would be a 2-B0 BO-2 :)

Since all the axles were still coupled it was always a 2D2 or 4-8-4, neither form of notation helps here.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

On 06/02/2020 at 16:33, woodenhead said:

I prefer to have locos in their original forms and liveries if possible. However, I’m so tickled at the prospect of a Fell that any form will do, apart from the one with a burnt out steam heating boiler and sheeted over.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 07/02/2020 at 01:19, mikesndbs said:

LOL ok, so the original loco once the middle rods were removed was still said to be a 4-8-4 as the drive was still 8 wheels, I guess maybe a more accurate description would be a 2-B0 BO-2 :)

2-D-2 would be more correct in UK railway parlance, all 4 axles are driven from a common source as they are linked together internally by the gearboxes.

It's odd that this was always referred to using Whyte nomenclature when most other UK large IC machines were not,  Bo-Bo, A1A-A1A etc.

I know shunters were always Whyte style.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Let's talk about the sound, so we have four main engines and two auxiliary engines, guess the aux engines started first followed by the main engines.

Main engines increased revs before the next one was brought in by the driver until all four were in full cry.

This must have been one amazing sound? 

• Agree 2

22 minutes ago, mikesndbs said:

Let's talk about the sound, so we have four main engines and two auxiliary engines, guess the aux engines started first followed by the main engines.

Main engines increased revs before the next one was brought in by the driver until all four were in full cry.

This must have been one amazing sound? 

Think this was posted a while back but here it is again if not

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ive received an e mail from Keith today stating the GT3 will be delayed a month due to the lockdown in China. It is now expected in July. In respect of the Fell there is a Cad drawing on the page. The  completed Cad scheduled for end of April . It is hoped that an example  model will be available for inspection at Warley. I post this for general info, im sure others have received this e mail. I have no connection to the company. I hope to be at Warley this year for obvious reasons. 

• Informative/Useful 1

On 23/11/2019 at 10:52, Oldddudders said:

I do hope someone is with 'Chard of this parish. He may be tempted to do something we would all regret. 

I was actually working in the exhibition when the news broke!  I hadn't the opportunity to read this thread at the time, although I made occasional forays round the hall later during the weekend to see whether humorous potential presented itself!  

I wish them well with their Fell, clown car that it is. :diablo_mini:

• Friendly/supportive 4

16 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

I wish them well with their Fell, clown car that it is. :diablo_mini:

Indeed, there is room here for all opinions. The thing is reported to have worked but it didn’t have a future. I will say that I have the greatest admiration for a mind which could think of something so radically different. After all, one never knows if something is practical or not until it is tried.

Except, perhaps, for the Leader. They should have known. :rofl_mini:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The following announcement from KR Models on Facebook:

"As an added bonus, we have figured out to make the original 4-8-4 version. Our intention is to include the alternative connecting rod inside the box so that you can change it if you wish."

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A slightly extended passage from the email received by subscribers this week. 

As a bonus we have figured out a way of including the full connecting rod to make a 4-8-4 configuration. All you will need is a spanner to unbolt the old connecting rods and replace with the new one. You get two models for the price of one. There were other changes to the body work that we can't change without a huge expense. So we are keeping to the one we have the most information on.

Quite understandable about the body changes (not that I'd know what they were)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

A slightly extended passage from the email received by subscribers this week. 

As a bonus we have figured out a way of including the full connecting rod to make a 4-8-4 configuration. All you will need is a spanner to unbolt the old connecting rods and replace with the new one. You get two models for the price of one. There were other changes to the body work that we can't change without a huge expense. So we are keeping to the one we have the most information on.

Quite understandable about the body changes (not that I'd know what they were)

It might mean that the body of the model doesn't quite match the real loco in its 4-8-4 configuration, but I'm only guessing. If you never show the locomotive at an exhibition, who is to know?

• Like 1