KR Models announce the Fell in OO and N.

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, MarkC said:

And yet, the concept is actually quite logical - you run your engines at high load, which is what diesels like, switching them on/in/out/off as required. What I don't totally grasp, though, is why the separate engines for the supercharging were considered desirable, given that turbocharging was now an accepted concept. Was it a lack of smaller turbocharged engines, I wonder?

As a trial locomotive, it was certainly a brave effort, albeit ultimately a failure. However, where would we be without people like Col. Fell, who were prepared to 'have a go'? At least this one operated with moderate success for a while, unlike, for example, (and whisper it quietly... :p ) 36001?

Mark

Mark this page explains a lot from the Davey Paxman viewpoint and is well worth a read particularly as it highlights not only the technical achievements but also the inherent bad points in the design - very interesting

https://www.paxmanhistory.org.uk/paxfell.htm

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Mark this page explains a lot from the Davey Paxman viewpoint and is well worth a read particularly as it highlights not only the technical achievements but also the inherent bad points in the design - very interesting

https://www.paxmanhistory.org.uk/paxfell.htm

Fascinating stuff, Mike. Thank you.

<<My personal opinion has always been that the prototype locomotive tested was somewhat before its time and a Mark 2 locomotive could have been greatly simplified and improved.>>. Indeed so. That's some epitaph.

Mark

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KR Models said:

Just to dispute this, you are only posting one side of the locomotive. The Fell being notorious for its hideously ugly design was also not symmetrical in any way. It doesnt matter which way you split it, it doesn't perfectly match the opposite side. 

To find that picture, you MUST have found a picture with the other 2 grills on the opposite side and then proceeded to deliberately ignore them.

Here is the picture of the other side you have neglected to show:

image-007.jpg.8e25fdc957e06341ef9124d86d3f22fc.jpg

As stated in the email, these are still preliminary designs, not confirmed and set in stone. We have done our research.

Are you absolutely sure the picture you have posted is taken at the same time and from the other side as the one I posted ?  There are quite a few differences between the 2 apart from the grills on the nose side.

But like others you have completely missed the point I was making. That was to use a single connecting rod from it's early days rendered the model too innacurate for many if you were choosing to model it with seperate rods and from a later time period. 

7 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

Are you absolutely sure the picture you have posted is taken at the same time and from the other side as the one I posted ?  There are quite a few differences between the 2 apart from the grills on the nose side.

But like others you have completely missed the point I was making. That was to use a single connecting rod from it's early days rendered the model too innacurate for many if you were choosing to model it with seperate rods and from a later time period. 

Might I suggest that you do MORE research.  As we HAVE stated before, we are supplying the additional connection rod as an accessory, and the photos supplied is of the other side.  The loco does NOT have matching sides.  Therefore making your argument/criticism null and void.  Also, as stated before these CAD drawings are NOT the final renderings.

Some customers wanted the 4-8-4 wheel configuration as well as the 4-4-4-4 version.  But seeing as you don't want one why do you care?

• Agree 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, KR Models said:

But seeing as you don't want one why do you care?

If you did your research you'd have found that I did want one. 

The loco does NOT have matching sides.  Therefore making your argument/criticism null and void

How so ? I never stated it had identical sides..... If you had researched better and taken notice I pointed out " The single rods weren't accurate for the later body" 

Edited by chris p bacon

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, mikesndbs said:

Can I just say I don't find it ugly at all! Powerful, different but not ugly 

image.png.aaa81bc3d39980587599ba64c44dfe98.png

To be provided free with all RMWeb Gold subscriptions? Certainly feel there is a need in this thread. 

Roy

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

There wasn't much room where the engines were, another mystery is why they didn't make it a bit longer. It wasn't possible to lift the main engines out without dismantling the cab but a few inches extra length would have allowed this - it's not as if it had to fit any sort of length restriction.

10100 wasn't exactly a failure, it was at the time the most powerful single unit diesel in Britain and YE later used a similar power take up principle in Taurus but with only two engines. The latter worked perfectly well, they just couldn't sell it to BR.

Fell built 1950 @Derby, 10000 built at Derby with EE...

So once the Fell, fell out of favour, maybe the lessons learned about maintenance were passed via Osmosis from Derby to EE and learnt on Deltic introduced in 1955..where engines were exchangeable in rapid time ? 

• RMweb Gold

Why not just make one version of Fell now...

Would enough people who want one, buy one, regardless of a set of rods ?

then once its sold, retool a different body to re-use on the existing chassis / mechanism w/rods as a second bite of the cherry if demand allows it...? 

(hint, if your anywhere close to a slightly used class 71 tooling, that could make the same chassis mechanism useful for a class 74 body too ;-)

Edited by adb968008

54 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

How so ? I never stated it had identical sides..... If you had researched better and taken notice I pointed out " The single rods weren't accurate for the later body" 

Which is why we are including the rod separate on both the early BR Black livery AND the Brunswick Green livery. If people want the 4-8-4 config in either livery, it is entirely their prerogative. 

We were asked to look into it, and as it turns out we can absolutely do it. If you don't want to use the connecting rod, then don't. Its not gonna cost you any extra for the rod.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

19 hours ago, MarkC said:

And yet, the concept is actually quite logical - you run your engines at high load, which is what diesels like, switching them on/in/out/off as required. What I don't totally grasp, though, is why the separate engines for the supercharging were considered desirable, given that turbocharging was now an accepted concept. Was it a lack of smaller turbocharged engines, I wonder?

As a trial locomotive, it was certainly a brave effort, albeit ultimately a failure. However, where would we be without people like Col. Fell, who were prepared to 'have a go'? At least this one operated with moderate success for a while, unlike, for example, (and whisper it quietly... :p ) 36001?

Mark

The multiple engine concept would be more "doable" today with modern electronic controls.

This page on Wikipedia ( Yes I know!) seems to explain what the idea was regarding the separate engines for the supercharging.  (See the Transmission section para 5 et seq)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_10100

It seems to be a variation on this concept.

https://www.paxmanhistory.org.uk/hi-dyne.htm

Edited by JeremyC
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

It might be the same side - or it might be the other side, to repeat, there is no way of knowing which side is which in black livery.

I'm fairly confident it's not the inside.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

5 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

Are you absolutely sure the picture you have posted is taken at the same time and from the other side as the one I posted ? 

Unless it was a 4-4-4-4 on one side, and a 4-8-4 on the other, I suspect that they were not taken on the same day.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, KR Models said:

2020s_The_fell_0001.jpg

main-qimg-ab715bf045076061211f3a514153820d.jpg

In the top picture (which is the later one) the engine room window is replaced by grills as well as the extra grills on the nose and the additional vents(?) on the cab roof. But the odd thing for me is the outward opening cab door, did any other loco have this ?

In theory this could be the same side of the loco on 2 different dates but who knows  with this thing.  

20 minutes ago, mikesndbs said:

Evening all

Well just to add to the fun here is our loco with large side grills both in 8 and 4 coupled guises.

Make of that what you will :)

Fell2.jpg

Fell1.jpg

True - but in the 4-8-4 format it has two vents over the cabs; in 4-4-4-4 format there are four vents per cab.

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

Dave, I don't care. If you don't want to buy it, then don't. There are lots of models produced by all sorts of manufacturers that I am not interested in, so I do not contribute to any discussions on those subjects.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 96701 said:

Dave, I don't care. If you don't want to buy it, then don't. There are lots of models produced by all sorts of manufacturers that I am not interested in, so I do not contribute to any discussions on those subjects.

But I like the oddball stuff and do pick things up which are completely different to my main interest. I only comment because I am interested.