KR Models announce the Fell in OO and N.

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chris p bacon said:

But I like the oddball stuff and do pick things up which are completely different to my main interest. I only comment because I am interested. 

I get the impression that you don't want to buy one. I do and have paid my dues. Have you?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, KR Models said:

2020s_The_fell_0001.jpg

main-qimg-ab715bf045076061211f3a514153820d.jpg

I’m intrigued. I haven’t yet ordered but am keen to. Are you saying from this that either side of the loco was always different, ie regardless of the change to the rods, one side had a window in the middle, the other side had a grille; one side had large radiator side nose grilles, the other had small; one end had four ducts above the windscreen, the other had two?

that might explain the confusion. Until now, I’ve assumed that both sides were the same until both sides were modified...

• RMweb Premium

The outward opening cab doors were unique to this loco as well. The space inside the cab is very small, the driver had to sit bolt upright and there was a large casing in the middle covering the shaft driving the main radiator fan which ran somewhere about his knee height. It has just occurred to me that the reason for its having two train heating boilers (one each end) must have been that there was no access through the inside of the loco. The fireman had the job of attending to the boiler so presumably the one nearest  to him was used depending on direction of travel.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Outwards opening cab doors? how on earth did crew access the cab without falling off the footstep? Or is that why is was called the Fell.....Off!?!

• Funny 13

On 12/04/2020 at 22:03, MarkC said:

And yet, the concept is actually quite logical - you run your engines at high load, which is what diesels like, switching them on/in/out/off as required. What I don't totally grasp, though, is why the separate engines for the supercharging were considered desirable, given that turbocharging was now an accepted concept. Was it a lack of smaller turbocharged engines, I wonder?

As a trial locomotive, it was certainly a brave effort, albeit ultimately a failure. However, where would we be without people like Col. Fell, who were prepared to 'have a go'? At least this one operated with moderate success for a while, unlike, for example, (and whisper it quietly... :p ) 36001?

Mark

Now, that's a model I would love to see, 36001, the Leader. As well as the one that ran, if I remember right number 36002 was almost ready to trial when the project was scrapped, and 36003 substantially completed too, so at least three different numbers to go at. Hope you're listening, KR Models !

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, WisTramwayMan said:

Now, that's a model I would love to see, 36001, the Leader. As well as the one that ran, if I remember right number 36002 was almost ready to trial when the project was scrapped, and 36003 substantially completed too, so at least three different numbers to go at. Hope you're listening, KR Models !

Hmm, what sort of sales figures do you think there would be for models of this behemoth?

Mark

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MarkC said:

Hmm, what sort of sales figures do you think there would be for models of this behemoth?

Mark

Probably like the numbers for all too many of the 'oddities' - relatively limited.  Whatever there is a model of there will be a hardcore of purchasers who will buy it for a mix of reasons such as they really want one for logical railway reasons or - more commonly - because it is unusual.   This market area is one of the most difficult to size for a manufacturer as there is no recognisable modeller base to look for and it is economically more fickle than regular loco fleet models.

This makes it ideal for smaller concerns to go for but it is still dangerous unless you know your demand before you go very far with your work and investment and - even more so nowadays - unless you can somehow lock in your demand from those who sound enthusiastic by turning them into those who will pay.   This used to be a fairly good market area some years back but many folk, including my dabbling in it, withdrew for various reasons but often finance.  But what the small firm can do, at an end price impact to the consumer, is restrict output to - say - no more than 1,500 or maybe 2,000 models which makes it less risky but increases the unit cost for the end consumer.  But on the other hand if a small firm goes too far with its orders from the factory it can find itself with models (= dead money) left on its hands.

It can get round this by following the Rapido business model and basically producing solely to order, if there are enough orders, and hopefully transferring any stock holdings on to retailers.  Great business if, and only if, there is sufficient consumer confidence in, and preparedness and ability to pay deposits on, pre-orders on an unknown product and even more difficult if it's an unknown or newcomer producer with no established reputation.  The newcomer 'manufacturer' could be left between the devil and the deep blue sea of risking considerable capital or being under capitalised and having to rely on pre-order deposits which then relies on a third party factory delivering goods to the promised level in order to establish their reputation.  And the model railway world has examples of both, including those who have succeeded and those who have not succeeded.

So to answer the original question it comes back to money and then whose money and then how much money from either source.  I ahve some numbers in mind but i won't voice them here and I'm sure KR have a business plan with real numbers in it but that is confidential of course.

• Like 4

I agree. I do not want a Fell, or a Leader. But I didn't think I wanted a (G)WR Gas Turbine either, and yet it is a semi plausible 'Rule 1' possibility for me so I am going to have one. So if you can get the numbers together then why not do these limited edition runs. The basics are universal - it has to look right, and it has to operate (run) to good, modern standards (DC or DCC). With a few successes, and a little any luck, lets hope that others will start to do the same for carriage and wagon stock. As far as I can see 'Bespoke RTR' is the modern equivalent of e.g. quality brass kits that made the more obscure available to those with the means (in skill) to create them. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I was drawn to the outward opening doors on the drivers cab of 10100 there...

not many diesel locos with outwards opening cab doors, must have been awkward boarding from the track level, though noted 1st gen DMUs were mostly this way.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

A Leader, and a class 89, are to me, the obvious gaps in unique rtr classes, but i’m excited by the thought of a Fell first.

There were three Leaders, even if only one ran.

Much more interesting  ( I GUESS ) would be the original Class 70 electric locos, 2 of one design, and 1 "unique".   At least they ram in service and in various liveries  -  a much more commercial proposition.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
On 15/04/2020 at 09:41, phil gollin said:

There were three Leaders, even if only one ran.

Much more interesting  ( I GUESS ) would be the original Class 70 electric locos, 2 of one design, and 1 "unique".   At least they ram in service and in various liveries  -  a much more commercial proposition.

Modelling 36002 and 36003 might be kind of an interesting variation of the toolings though.

Unlike 20001-3, Leader has a bit of a cult following, due to its eccentric ideas.. i’d imagine its curiosity value is much like GT3, where as the Bulleid electrics were fairly mundane.

The Class 70s  ( "Bulleid electrics" ) also have a following, and they actually earned their keep.   The Class 70's had many different liveries, in some of which they looked horrific (but to each their own).  So one may model a unique failure, or 2 "half"-classes with "interesting" livery variations which had rather peculiar looks.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Barry O said:

If the Fell doesn't proceed does any on think any of the other locos set out in the discussions above will ever be made in RTR form???

Baz

Oh but the Fell will be made. When the GT3 arrives with us and turns out to run smoothly, quietly and powerfully and looks gorgeous in its livery, I and five hundred other old sceptics will rush to KR begging for our money to be taken. KR will then think, “There’s money in tham thar hills,” and rush to produce the 70s in all their varied glory.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Rails will struggle to meet the demand for 18000 and will hasten to produce 18100, both as a gas turbine and a prototype electric with a non-Hornby pantograph.

The question you should be asking is, “Will KR produce 10800 or will Rails do it? Might it just be that Heljan will do a Hornby and decide that 10800 is its territory?”

Leader? Leader? Oh yes, that thing which failed to do the job of a Standard 4 tank, whilst being more expensive to build and run and far too heavy as well.

I really shouldn’t leave my tea lying around where people can spike it.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, KR Models said:

Quick update for you guys: Updated screenshots!

998874186_CAD-5A.png.853162cd66cfd120e68971a1108781bf.png

1128232071_CAD-5B.png.be739458438fdc236ced50bd20426ca2.png

Please excuse my ignorance, I have done very little research on this. Does this mean that you are doing two version?

One of the loco earlier in life (two grilled per nose side, central window, albeit with blanked grilles beside the window (preciously grilles?) and four ducts above the windscreens which seems to have been a later addition, two generally appearing earlier), and...

one of the loco in later life (four grilles per nose, grille where the window was)?

from what I can see, this loco always had two sides that looked the same, rather than having two different sides at the same time?

Just now, amwells said:

Please excuse my ignorance, I have done very little research on this. Does this mean that you are doing two version?

One of the loco earlier in life (two grilled per nose side, central window, albeit with blanked grilles beside the window (preciously grilles?) and four ducts above the windscreens which seems to have been a later addition, two generally appearing earlier), and...

one of the loco in later life (four grilles per nose, grille where the window was)?

from what I can see, this loco always had two sides that looked the same, rather than having two different sides at the same time?

Their post on Facebook said this was both sides of the same model. No mention of a second version. 

I know the sides weren't the same but is 4 vents and 2 vents on the nose right or is it a compromise to have 1 early condition and 1 later condition side to the model? 

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Their post on Facebook said this was both sides of the same model. No mention of a second version. 

I know the sides weren't the same but is 4 vents and 2 vents on the nose right or is it a compromise to have 1 early condition and 1 later condition side to the model? 

It would be interesting to know. Do you mean that the two sides weren’t the same (at the same time), or that they weren’t the same through time?

There were clearly quite a few modifications done but it’s hard to find a photo of a side with a late crest and a window?

Just now, amwells said:

It would be interesting to know. Do you mean that the two sides weren’t the same (at the same time), or that they weren’t the same through time?

There were clearly quite a few modifications done but it’s hard to find a photo of a side with a late crest and a window?

The sides weren't symetrical ever from what I've previously read here.

And it's also very hard to know what side of the loco your looking at in photos and identifying the year of not known because of the number of mods that were done.