KR Models announce the Fell in OO and N.

AY Mod

56 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Very flat sided...and is it based on a particular version of the Fell??

Baz

I think I have agree. Prototype photographs show a slight angling in of the side panels from the waistline. It's not much and the EP photographs might not show it properly.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 'CHARD said:

Oh no, what are you suggesting - that it came in more than one guise? 

Doesn't tie up with a particular build standard ..it had various guises. Could be interesting to see its length and width.

Baz

2 hours ago, Wagpnmaster said:

I think I have agree. Prototype photographs show a slight angling in of the side panels from the waistline. It's not much and the EP photographs might not show it properly.

image.png.ec43f32d8d55b390355ee802b4496c5a.png

I have here before me the original drawings of 10100; (purchased on disc from the NRM); and they show a continuous curved profile to the body sides throughout the section between the cabs.

John Isherwood.

image.png.21784d7f2ab80ebb8f33655db9942eb2.png

PS. I think that this curved profile can be detected in the model, immediately behind the cabs where the curve abuts the flat cab and bonnet sides - one can see the step tapering off at the top and bottom of the sides.

Edited by cctransuk

33 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

image.png.ec43f32d8d55b390355ee802b4496c5a.png

I have here before me the original drawings of 10100; (purchased on disc from the NRM); and they show a continuous curved profile to the body sides throughout the section between the cabs.

John Isherwood.

image.png.21784d7f2ab80ebb8f33655db9942eb2.png

PS. I think that this curved profile can be detected in the model, immediately behind the cabs where the curve abuts the flat cab and bonnet sides - one can see the step tapering off at the top and bottom of the sides.

Thanks for that John. Yes, you can see the curved bodyside behind the cab handrail clearly in that photograph. Maybe I was expecting a more pronounced curve. It looks a bit more pronounced in the advert photograph, but that is probably a combination of angle and light.  I'm sure KR Models have got it right as they may have access to the same drawings as you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Barry O said:

Very flat sided...and is it based on a particular version of the Fell??

Baz

Now that you mention it Baz it does.. 

Edit, subsequent have shown a curve is there, the grey probably has flattened it somewhat.

Edited by jessy1692

• RMweb Premium

The one that Barry is referring to (in the OPC microfiche collection) has no dimensions on it. The detail drawings of 10100 at the NRM do not include body profiles and the crank drawing is missing - in their catalogue but they can't find it. I spent a long time at the NRM studying all these drawings to produce our kit.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

GAs are not always  "as built" either..which is why you need to spend a lot of time and money getting a true representation of a real item in scale form.

How do I know this? Years spent in land/sea and air defence companies...

Baz

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Barry O said:

GAs are not always  "as built" either..which is why you need to spend a lot of time and money getting a true representation of a real item in scale form.

How do I know this? Years spent in land/sea and air defence companies...

Baz

Agree absolutely (not that I worked in the defence industry) but railway company GAs have a nasty tendency to differ from what the works actually built as photos often prove.  Of course the even greater problem with the Fell was the various mods it received over its life to try to deal with some of its problems - particularly those inherent to a multi-engined loco.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

The one that Barry is referring to (in the OPC microfiche collection) has no dimensions on it. The detail drawings of 10100 at the NRM do not include body profiles and the crank drawing is missing - in their catalogue but they can't find it. I spent a long time at the NRM studying all these drawings to produce our kit.

The chassis drawing that the NRM Search Engine sent to me is smothered in dimensions and is very detailed; (too detailed for modelling purposes)? It includes numerous sections, which extend to above the body waistline.

The other drawing does not have dimensions and is, I assume, the GA to which you refer.

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

The chassis drawing that the NRM Search Engine sent to me is smothered in dimensions and is very detailed; (too detailed for modelling purposes)? It includes numerous sections, which extend to above the body waistline.

The other drawing does not have dimensions and is, I assume, the GA to which you refer.

John Isherwood.

It would be interesting to know if the chassis design was altered at any time (or modified in service)?  The Fell equalled the worst minimum curving radius of any main line diesel loco built for BR (only equalled by the 'Peaks'/Class 44/45/46) and even the tight curve sensitive EE Type 4/Class 40 had a better minimum radius capability than the Fell despite its overall wheelbase being 19'11" longer.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

John Isherwood.

That's from the Derby collection, I looked at everything they had from this. These are the dimensioned drawings which were normally used to set out the parts to build the loco, GAs were often just illustrations and have very much gone out of fashion more recently - they certainly didn't exist for the 325s when I was researching that job (as they were being built at Litchurch Lane).

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

If the shape of the cranks is what you are talking about..yes the inner pair had more waisted cranks (could be to do with force balancing) at least when the middle coupling rods were removed. My eyes can't see that level of detail on the model..but you can get the cranks shape correct on the JE Model..

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think he means that the cranks on the inner axles are thicker, they are the same shape and obviously the same crankthrow. As I've mentioned before though the crank drawings were missing from the NRM, they were in their list but couldn't be located. You can alter the thickness with our kit by using fewer laminations for the outer axles.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for this but it does seem that I made a mistake here. In the absence of the relevant drawing I drew the crank shape from a side on photograph, picking on one of the centre ones, and then simply repeated this without thinking. Looking at it again this morning the difference in size is very marked (they are thinner as well) so I've re-drawn them - we'll have to do a supplementary etch for this.

202946018_ScreenShot2020-10-21at08_41_12.png.2ce13acd96684b933683dececf513f2c.png

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Ive not seen a picture of the fell with two panels and two grills on the nose at each end as per the EP.

I know the fell had a number of mods at different times, can anyone confirm if its correct, or which period it was like this ?

• RMweb Premium

1951 if the caption on this photo (not mine!) is to be believed:

12933659915_e83fb13b6a_z.jpg

15227 and 10100 at Eastbourne for the 1951 International Timetable Conference by Charlie Verrall, on Flickr

Although it looks to have only two horns on the cab roof rather than four on the prototype model.

Stevnen B.

Edited by Steven B
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1