KR Models announce the Fell in OO and N.

AY Mod

On 11/07/2021 at 23:51, Barry O said:

Yes les .. correct but we could convert them to S4 if we had our layout in S4.  But the body, the livery etc on our models is correct (as is the shape and size) the green liveried one shows how little research these guys have done.. and there are no photos of themodel sides from above or below.. when given a full data pack for GT3 they got the bogie the wrong way around and they showed how little understanding of the loco they had with the lighting fitted.  

Please buy it.. its like buying a Playcraft NBL Bo Bo rather than a Dapol onr ..

Baz

The artwork on the box showed the GT3 bogie correctly with the guard irons at the front. However, the factory in China seemed to have other ideas!

I saw 2 reviews, sams trains on youtube and a magazine review, and neither seemed to notice the rather glaring error.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, maico said:

The artwork on the box showed the GT3 bogie correctly with the guard irons at the front. However, the factory in China seemed to have other ideas!

I saw 2 reviews, sams trains on youtube and a magazine review, and neither seemed to notice the rather glaring error.

Sam specifically doesn't really focus on prototypical details, he's more concerned about how it's assembled, runs and the livery application. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, SHMD said:

From what I have learned (or am lead to believe) it is impossible to produce an accurate model of the Fell - no matter how skilled you are at kit/scratch building/painting one.

The evidence is simply not there!

It is, I concede, true that using one tool to produce two versions of the same loco (from differing time periods) will result in one model being less accurate than the other.

Personally, regarding the EPs / Livery samples. I was concerned that the motion "looked sloppy" and that the overall loco did not look "ugly enough" !!! - But I hope this merely to be constrictive criticism / feedback.

Kev.

It is.. but you need to buy a Judith Edge Kit.. and even with all of the research Mike has done on the Fell he has added some changes to part of the kit  recently to make it more "correct". Yes information is scarce - which is why I wondered why KR wanted to do a model of the Fell.. particularly as they were asking people after the announcement "How long is it??"

Baz

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Sam specifically doesn't really focus on prototypical details, he's more concerned about how it's assembled, runs and the livery application. 

Not much use as a review then - most people's first priority is 'does it look like the real thing', followed by assembly, running and livery application.

'Influencers' are a recent abberation of social media; promoting your website as a source of knowledge when the prime motivation is merely financial gain via advertising revenues. The fact that you have little or no knowledge of what you are talking about seems not to matter!

Let's face it - Sam's reviews are thinly disguised, (sponsored?) advertising. A competent reviewer needs to have at least a passing acquainance with the subject of the model that is under review.

CJI.

• Agree 10

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Barry O said:

It is.. but you need to buy a Judith Edge Kit.. and even with all of the research Mike has done on the Fell he has added some changes to part of the kit  recently to make it more "correct". Yes information is scarce - which is why I wondered why KR wanted to do a model of the Fell.. particularly as they were asking people after the announcement "How long is it??"

Baz

Well, I was quite looking forward to receiving my Fell being as how (as previously mentioned) the kit is beyond my current skills, but you have managed to suck all the joy out of my anticipation.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 minute ago, 96701 said:

Well, I was quite looking forward to receiving my Fell being as how (as previously mentioned) the kit is beyond my current skills, but you have managed to suck all the joy out of my anticipation.

Would not worry bout it 96701, Stick the Fell on your layout and enjoy it. 

All very well for these season lads to bleat on about Buying a kit,  you then need to  fork out to get wheels, motors and if you don't have the gear all that you need to construct it  and paint it and hope that everything aligns and it actually runs on your tack. Sometimes I wonder if we are better off without the internet.

Before you had a go at me at building these and you never know if you dont try I have tried and Failed and I have been modelling for quite a number of years so no slouch to soldering etc. That's quite easy, Its the Gubbins inside killed me off. I rather stick my cash into an RTR than run the risk of mucking up 300 notes worth of loco lit.

• Like 8
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

Would not worry bout it 96701, Stick the Fell on your layout and enjoy it. 

Hear hear.

Kev.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

A good friend of mine was a fireman at Wellingborough 15A during the 1950's early 60's.

He remembers The Fell when it appeared on shed often having been dragged in on skids for attention of the fitters having failed on its trip down from Derby. 

The Wellingborough fitters were not allowed anywhere near it and technical personnel from Derby were sent down to repair it.

They lodged at the Mill Road Engineman's Hostel getting The Fell ready for its return north.

Mixed in with the assortment of 15A's usual stud of 8F's and 9F's it certainly caused a stir. 

I've pre-ordered a BR lined green version of the KR Models Fell and it will certainly have a run on Brian's layout. I'm sure it will bring the memories and tales flooding back. 

Just need a set of 4mm scale skids! ;)

I'm looking forwards to its arrival.

Thankyou KR Models for having the commitment to produce this one off prototype.

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

@96701, I too look forward to receiving my KR Models Fell. Just to add to the realism of this engine, I intend to leave it mostly in its shed above the inspection pit and surrounded by 1:76 scale detailed fitters/engineers all scratching their heads. :scratchhead:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

I’m looking forward to mine too, but it will not be in the loco shed, instead pulling one of my passenger trains while all the critics from this topic stand on the platform and sulk as it effortlessly glides past.

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 13/07/2021 at 14:53, 96701 said:

Buy it and plant it on your layout.

If you really want a kit, plenty turn up at swapmeets and ebay, graciously left behind by people who ran out of life to build them.

• Like 3

@96701 I too am looking forward to receiving mine and most of all I am sure, like you, will enjoy owning one and most likely running it.

I've never seen the real thing but all experimental locos fascinate me either through their engineering or just their general uniqueness.  Buying models gives me the chance to experience what it must have been like to see various locos long since gone, either in action or to admire their general presence or perhaps tell a story of development through the ages.

Although I fear how many experimental locos are becoming or even could become RTR reality, I welcome manufacturers to offer them so I can continue my enthusiasm for and enjoyment of them.  But hats off to KR Models for attempting some of the most unusual ones though!

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Railsnail said:

@96701, I too look forward to receiving my KR Models Fell. Just to add to the realism of this engine, I intend to leave it mostly in its shed above the inspection pit and surrounded by 1:76 scale detailed fitters/engineers all scratching their heads. :scratchhead:

One of them should actually be working on it.  The others would all be supervising.

• Funny 3

10 hours ago, 97403_Ixion said:

I've never seen the real thing but all experimental locos fascinate me either through their engineering or just their general uniqueness.  Buying models gives me the chance to experience what it must have been like to see various locos long since gone, either in action or to admire their general presence or perhaps tell a story of development through the ages.

Yes, I feel the same about the early prototype locos, but my favourite must be the Fell...The moment I clapped eyes on pictures of this wonderful machine, I wondered who on earth could design a locomotive that even looks that different! For me, its beauty was its odd quirkiness, curved roof/window line of the main body juxtaposed with the box like ends of this machine. 

Its appearance fascinated me, and then to learn about its 6 diesel engines (4 main) plus differential gearing/hydraulic drive arrangement led me to want to know more about its inventor, Lt. Col Fell, his engineering background, involvement with Paxman etc. 

For me, researching the history and the people behind these prototypes brings another aspect to this great hobby of ours. Yes, I am really looking forward to running my model when she arrives. (My earlier comment about her languishing in the shed was made in jest).  

I think its great to have the opportunity to own a little representation of what was an amazing prototype. So thanks KR Models for taking this development on. :clapping_mini:

Finally, I wonder what Lt. Col. Fell and the other designers/contributors might have thought to see this machine in miniature? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

43 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

One of them should actually be working on it.  The others would all be supervising.

Indeed! Also, one of them should be frantically searching for a bolt that somehow fell out of his overalls pocket while he was doing some servicing work on the gearbox. I wonder where that went? (He mutters) :o

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

It is interesting that the Fell multi-engined concept has been developed further in revent times, albeit using electric transmission.  DB’s class 245 locomotives have four diesel engines and each one is brought into use as more power is required.  They have had some significant teething problems.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

35 minutes ago, ColinK said:

It is interesting that the Fell multi-engined concept has been developed further in revent times, albeit using electric transmission.  DB’s class 245 locomotives have four diesel engines and each one is brought into use as more power is required.  They have had some significant teething problems.

Interesting! So the 245 is essentially a 4 engined (Caterpillar units?) diesel electric with some on-demand control system to start/stop the units? I also read that one of the power units could be replaced by battery storage? (A very large number of 18650's :lol:?).

I think the gearbox/hydraulic transmission design used in the Fell is what makes it truly unique.  On the down-side the transmission also made the loco very complicated. 

Edited by Railsnail
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 14/07/2021 at 23:08, Ouroborus said:

If you really want a kit, plenty turn up at swapmeets and ebay, graciously left behind by people who ran out of life to build them.

Never seen one on EBay and I doubt they would be wide spread unless they are the original A1 Models one.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Barry O said:

Never seen one on EBay and I doubt they would be wide spread unless they are the original A1 Models one.

I saw one once - over five years ago.

Cheers

Darius

17 hours ago, Barry O said:

On this very morning -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unbuilt-AI-Models-4mm-scale-brass-kit-BR-experimental-Fell-4-8-4-diesel-loco-/164949527894?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ouroborus said:

Beware !!!

I had one of these kits - but sold it on.

652791639_FRETS12small.jpg.d9c94a1b362efcca90e1a098d67aa248.jpg

997611311_12532PT2small.jpg.81820f8bf83964f8e6b292d763fb5806.jpg

Look carefully at the relationship between the cab side windows and the cab / nose area; something is very wrong there.

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

Like the proverbial busses you wait ages and once you mention it…

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The A1 kit was very basic, used as muchninformation as the owner of the company could get hold of at the time. How many Judirh Edge kits do you see on EBay? 

This has been researched over a long period of time, corrections have been made to it as more information comes to light. It is not for a beginner as the Fell is a complex beast.

Baz

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Barry O said:

The A1 kit was very basic, used as muchninformation as the owner of the company could get hold of at the time. How many Judirh Edge kits do you see on EBay? 

This has been researched over a long period of time, corrections have been made to it as more information comes to light. It is not for a beginner as the Fell is a complex beast.

Baz

Having listened to Geoff Brewin explaining how he could quite easily tweak a CAD produced flat etch, I'm sure the super accurate Judith Edge kit that you promote ad nauseum is easier to amend than a 3 dimensional tooling for a plastic bodied loco. 

You say that the shape of the KR Models Fell is wrong, but you haven't said where, so do please elucidate.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1