KR Models announce the Fell in OO and N.

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Les1952 said:

But with this information having surfaced AFTER tooling is done, how many of us would be prepared to swallow a price rise to cover retooling costs, given that there won't be a massive number of models to share those costs between?

Just a thought

Les

Depending on what the price rise would be, I would not object in principle, but I would not be pushing for it.  Not being intimately familiar with the prototype I am happy to accept the current KR Models tooling as it is.

• Agree 3

Judging by the last pictures I saw of the livery samples, here:

On 28/06/2021 at 20:51, KR Models said:

We know there hasn't been much news about the Fell, but we can now show you the decorated samples, in both black and green.  

Fell Green.jpg

Fell Black.jpg

IF the locomotive is the same both sides, and they lose the centre connecting rod (I know its removeable anyway) - I think they've nailed it, and it doesn't need a tooling change anyway?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Les1952 said:

But with this information having surfaced AFTER tooling is done, how many of us would be prepared to swallow a price rise to cover retooling costs, given that there won't be a massive number of models to share those costs between?

Just a thought

Les

An opportunity, for those of us who like to personalise our purchases with a little modelling, to add / remove anomalous features to / from the KR Models offering.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, billy_anorak59 said:

IF the locomotive is the same both sides, and they lose the centre connecting rod (I know its removeable anyway) - I think they've nailed it, and it doesn't need a tooling change anyway?

They're very useful pictures, I was sent copies of those several years ago but can't remember the source so was not sure about posting them.

Re your comment 

IF the locomotive is the same both sides

This isn't actually known as the only images posted so far have been of an EP some time ago in Newsletter 24

KR_Fel_EP.jpg.8c295446286d27a41ff1e6e3e148263f.jpgKR_FELL_EP_2.jpg.5159d28f969dd7cbb0f5f012c165a316.jpg

They may well have been updated in a later EP and they are now the same sides as the painted samples or the painted samples show one side and the EP the other.

Time will tell.

Edited by chris p bacon
Typo
  • Agree 1

So then thanks to those splendid new photos we can all settle down safe in the knowledge that KR knew what they were about and the models will be brilliant.

My only complaint is HURRY up..................................:jester:

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Interesting that about the first thing my eye was drawn to in the first of the two pairs of photos was that there is an item that defines the difference between the two sides.... but sadly I've not found enough pictures of the EP/paint sample to see if the model has it too..

Everything else looks the same mind!

Andy G

I must admit when I saw your post that that was the area I wasn't 100% sure of either, so I've taken a look at the photos I have.

The 'early' condition of the loco (2 grills on each nose side, central 'window' on one (or both sides), and outwardly as a 4-8-4), actually has a panel over this area, so they were no help.

The 'later' ('exhibition train' condition and possibly to withdrawal) are inconclusive in some cases, but the exhaust end 'upturn' looks to face left on most pictures that are clear.

I see what you mean, but as the engine layout was identical from one end to the other, I can't see why the upturn would face left on one side, right on the other.

If it was the case it would be an easy fix, I don't think tooling would be affected too much. Interesting though - perhaps others might have better photographs of this area.

• RMweb Premium

I suppose it depends on how the blower engines were fitted. If they were fitted both the same way round (and why not?) then the manifolds would be in the same direction wouldn't they? Although the drawing here: Paxman History Pages - The Fell Locomotive seems to show them same sides together, there is no proof that that was actually the way they were installed, or that they weren't modified at some point, or indeed that it might have been easier to route the exhausts both to one end because of some obstruction in the roof space.....

Andy G

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In all the photos I have the 150hp exhausts look the same with the open end (upturn) at the left but I can see what you are suggesting. The engine installation was the same on each side so I would assume that the exhaust piping would be the same. They look the same in green livery as well but in most photos I have the BR crest isn't very clear so I'm still not sure which side is which. Don't forget it probably wasn't in working condition when it went to that exhibition.

• Like 1

On 29/07/2021 at 08:05, billy_anorak59 said:

For what it's worth - I'm about 95% sure that the 'Exhibition Train' shown in the first pair of photographs is en-route to the International Railway Congress Exhibition at Willesden, held May 26th-28th 1954.

(The position of the Standard Class 5 in the cavalcade fits too, along with the pristine van - I reckon that's 73050 (later to become 'City of Peterborough' - see http://73050.co.uk/page15.html) 

The upshot of all this rambling is that I'm now pretty sure that this gives us a known condition of the locomotive (on both sides), and at a known date - and hence an accurate basis for any model of 10100.

...Personal opinion of course! :yes:

I'm fairly sure the first two photos are taken at Northampton Castle station, with the train heading South.

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 30/07/2021 at 07:37, uax6 said:

Interesting that about the first thing my eye was drawn to in the first of the two pairs of photos was that there is an item that defines the difference between the two sides.... but sadly I've not found enough pictures of the EP/paint sample to see if the model has it too..

Everything else looks the same mind!

Andy G

On 30/07/2021 at 09:13, Michael Edge said:

You wouldn't care to tell us what that might be? I can't see anything.

It's obvious.

Only one cab has a driver at the window  :) :)

Edited by Colin_McLeod
  • Funny 5

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, D9001 said:

Latest KR newsletter today says production has started and delivery is expected in April. 

Rails still has delivery "Expected delivery 3rd Quarter 2021",  but then these days anything is possible.  Early next year I will be "between houses" with expected settle date around April so there may be a delivery address clash if arrival in April.  I had pre-ordered believing that delivery would be settled by the end of the year.

If production has "actually" started,  then allowing for the Chinese New Year shutdown (basically all of February),  surely the models should be well and truly on the water by January, 2022.  That gives a three month production time. 

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

Rails still has delivery "Expected delivery 3rd Quarter 2021",  but then these days anything is possible.  Early next year I will be "between houses" with expected settle date around April so there may be a delivery address clash if arrival in April.  I had pre-ordered believing that delivery would be settled by the end of the year.

If production has "actually" started,  then allowing for the Chinese New Year shutdown (basically all of February),  surely the models should be well and truly on the water by January, 2022.  That gives a three month production time. 

Which still seems a bit odd.  I've just looked at the Heljan GW railcar as I thought times were much shorter than that.  It was in production in March (let's be generous and allow for a slight lag in publication and say February after CNY) and was in the shops in early July.   That's no more than 4 -5 months from start production to 'in the shops' and it was production restarting after CNY which tends to be slower.  On that basis the Fell should be here around February plus UK distribution time.   So maybe KR are allowing for delays finding suitable shipping capacity after the Christmas rush plus building in time for UK distribution?

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

They may also be planning for a repeat of last year - where employees in China started leaving for CNY (Chinese New Year) a month or more prior thanks to Covid travel concerns which impacted production.

Then there is also the CNY shipping rush where everyone attempt to get product out of China prior to the CNY shutdown, which should be interesting this year.

Edited by mdvle