KR Models announce the Fell in OO and N.

AY Mod

5 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Which still seems a bit odd.  I've just looked at the Heljan GW railcar as I thought times were much shorter than that.  It was in production in March (let's be generous and allow for a slight lag in publication and say February after CNY) and was in the shops in early July.   That's no more than 4 -5 months from start production to 'in the shops' and it was production restarting after CNY which tends to be slower.  On that basis the Fell should be here around February plus UK distribution time.   So maybe KR are allowing for delays finding suitable shipping capacity after the Christmas rush plus building in time for UK distribution?

It's worth reading the Accurascale September update on the Class 55 Deltic production, on their website. They had previously advised that production was underway in late May this year, with estimated delivery in late quarter 3, so end of September. They have been very candid is showing piles of injection moulded parts, which are now being assembled. The issues that have caused delays in China are stated as

1) Covid safety procedures

2) Shortage of staff. After CNY, the normal staff shortage has continued as people remained in their home areas.

3) Shortage of chips that have had to be sourced.

So in that case, they are now quoting  quarter 1 2022 arrival. While the Deltic production is more complex than the fell  with many more liveries and body detail variations, I think we need to be prepared to accept much longer production periods than previously, for some time yet.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, PieGuyRob said:

I have ordered a green one from Rails of Sheffield, as it isn't on the KRModels website any more.................

I also went looking on the website and was unable to find the "Fell".  Perhaps because the site pre-orders are possibly closed the link has been removed.  I then did a Google search and found the "old" (?) link.

https://www.krmodels.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=53

• 2 weeks later...

It was removed from the website for sale at the end of July I believe

On 10/10/2021 at 05:37, GWR-fan said:

I also went looking on the website and was unable to find the "Fell".  Perhaps because the site pre-orders are possibly closed the link has been removed.  I then did a Google search and found the "old" (?) link.

https://www.krmodels.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=53

There was a newsletter put out a few months before stating that was the last date to order.

Cant wait until my BR Black one turns up, very excited ♥

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/10/2021 at 19:26, Phil Parker said:

Spotted at the Great British Model Railway Show earlier today:

image.png.e53be7f97d7bfe79f065590eeb1e9cff.png

Don't want to open a can of worms again (but probably will), but shouldn't the green version have 4 bonnet grills in each corner? (and the numbers weren't in that position either when green...)

Edited by billy_anorak59

• RMweb Premium

Fell3_clean_1200.jpg

Did you get a shot full front on Phil?  

Can't judge the body side profile from this or other photos.

Baz

• RMweb Gold

Fell3_clean_1200.jpg

looks like a different body shell to the EP on their website…

B66EF647-0CF8-48E7-91B0-F07A273B9578.jpeg.536b55453b0832afb874d8f0e0c54d9f.jpeg

note the nose grills..

The roof detail is different to.

unless theyve modelled different sides on each side ?

But I thought the loco was fairly symmetrical in that each side was identical ?

This image seems fairly close to the EP body grills, taken in 1951 with engine room panel doors open, but the roof vents and roof line is different.

is there a picture of the otherside of the EP body ?

Edited by adb968008

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Barry O said:

Did you get a shot full front on Phil?  

Can't judge the body side profile from this or other photos.

Baz

No, I concentrated on the wagons. Didn't have time while scrabbling around behind my stand to do lots of angles on the Fell. TBH, I'd assumed it's largely the same as the black version. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

looks like a different body shell to the EP on their website…

B66EF647-0CF8-48E7-91B0-F07A273B9578.jpeg.536b55453b0832afb874d8f0e0c54d9f.jpeg

note the nose grills..

The roof detail is different to.

unless theyve modelled different sides on each side ?

But I thought the loco was fairly symmetrical in that each side was identical ?

This image seems fairly close to the EP body grills, taken in 1951 with engine room panel doors open, but the roof vents and roof line is different.

is there a picture of the otherside of the EP body ?

Pretty sure that's what they've done, made 2 different versions of the bodyside on the same model. And afaik the green and black are identical apart from the livery. 

There's been a few pictures poisted of the other side either here or in the KR newsletter 

Refer the following link.  Note the information after the second CAD image ("The drawings show both sides of the locomotive in its original 4-8-4 configuration.").   One side shows four grilles each end whereas the opposite side shows doors as shown on the image supplied by Phil Parker from a recent show.  Were both sides different?

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/news/kr-models-completes-design-of-fell-diesel-model/

The following link shows only one side of the loco but it also shows door panels as shown in the image from Phil Parker.

https://www.keymodelworld.com/article/kr-models-fell-first-sample-oo

This image link from Wikipedia shows the opposite side of the loco (from the Phil Parker image) in BR late crest livery.  It appears to me to show grilles at each end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_10100#/media/File:Derby_works_fell_diesel_geograph-2390424-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

This image in early crest livery.

https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/BRITISH-DIESEL-AND-ELECTRIC/PRE-BR/i-XGqNnCG/A

Edited by GWR-fan
Additional info

Don’t forget as well (although I’m not sure if this applies here) that EPs and livery samples aren’t always of a prototypically accurate engine. If you need to test out various toolings it sometimes makes sense to do an unrealistic EP with as many of the variations as possible on a single body shell. 

I seem to remember a manufacturer a while back saying exactly this when presenting their EP to the world. As I’ve said, I’ve frankly got no idea if this is happening in this instance but maybe this is a possible reason for the differences on the two sides of the loco? 

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, GWR-fan said:

One side shows four grilles each end whereas the opposite side shows doors as shown on the image supplied by Phil Parker from a recent show.  Were both sides different?

I think we pretty much reached a consensus a couple of pages ago that the locomotive was symetrical? - see the photos in my post at:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/149392-kr-models-announce-the-fell-in-oo-and-n/page/21/&tab=comments#comment-4524215

Two sets of photos which show both sides of 10100 on the same dates (dates would appear to be 1954 and 1956-ish). I'm hoping that this is indeed just an EP, because it's not correct for the green version.

• RMweb Gold

The next question following then, is which green livery have we purchased, as the different bodies, resulted in different lining / positions of the numbers.

afaik they only listed black and green, but its clear there is two different livery samples of green out there too.

The Green image on their website looks more accurate, both in tooling / livery / roof detail combination, and the photo displayed when choosing the green option, but it looks like maybe they are considering a earlier 2nd green / tooling option too.

its perhaps encouraging is we are getting more than a “basic” rendition of a Fell, so the oppourtunity to have a point in time accurate one exists, though weve only seen one roof style afaik… so it still might be actually be a model of two halves…

Edited by adb968008

7 hours ago, Edge said:

Don’t forget as well (although I’m not sure if this applies here) that EPs and livery samples aren’t always of a prototypically accurate engine. If you need to test out various toolings it sometimes makes sense to do an unrealistic EP with as many of the variations as possible on a single body shell. 

I seem to remember a manufacturer a while back saying exactly this when presenting their EP to the world. As I’ve said, I’ve frankly got no idea if this is happening in this instance but maybe this is a possible reason for the differences on the two sides of the loco? 

So the EP should have been 4-8-4 on one side, 4-4-4-4 on the other ..... what's the correct way of expressing that combination in Whyte format??

4 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

So the EP should have been 4-8-4 on one side, 4-4-4-4 on the other ..... what's the correct way of expressing that combination in Whyte format??

...and black on one side, green on  the other...

AFAIK, the locomotive is a 4-Do-4 in all guises - even though the centre coupling rod was removed later, the driving wheels were still coupled via the gearbox.

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, billy_anorak59 said:

AFAIK, the locomotive is a 4-Do-4 in all guises - even though the centre coupling rod was removed later, the driving wheels were still coupled via the gearbox.

It should be 2-D-2: this wheel arrangement type counts axles, not wheels, and the "o" in "Do" means each axle has its own motor, which it clearly doesn't with the Fell. Apart from that, there's not much wrong with what you said :)

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, Budgie said:

It should be 2-D-2: this wheel arrangement type counts axles, not wheels, and the "o" in "Do" means each axle has its own motor, which it clearly doesn't with the Fell. Apart from that, there's not much wrong with what you said :)

Unfortunately it turned out to be more of a Dodo. :scratchhead:

• Round of applause 1

• 2 months later...

Any further update on an anticipated release date.  I have already cancelled a deposit at my expense on another manufacturer's model as the release date advised could not be relied upon and the manufacturer seemed a little shy about an actual date which as it turns out will be at least six months after their latest revised delivery date.

Given the turmoil with production delays and distribution issues in the world,  the onus is on the manufacturer to advise the market when they expect a release date and if it changes then provide regular updates.   With the company releasing information that an early production model had been received and only minor modifications were needed on September 22, 2020 in a posting on this thread and at a model railway exhibition nearly four months ago only a painted sample of the body moulding was shown,  is a summer, 2022 release a possibility?

18 minutes ago, GWR-fan said:

Any further update on an anticipated release date.  I have already cancelled a deposit at my expense on another manufacturer's model as the release date advised could not be relied upon and the manufacturer seemed a little shy about an actual date which as it turns out will be at least six months after their latest revised delivery date.

Given the turmoil with production delays and distribution issues in the world,  the onus is on the manufacturer to advise the market when they expect a release date and if it changes then provide regular updates.   With the company releasing information that an early production model had been received and only minor modifications were needed on September 22, 2020 in a posting on this thread and at a model railway exhibition nearly four months ago only a painted sample of the body moulding was shown,  is a summer, 2022 release a possibility?

If, given the state of world trade at present, you are so impatient as to spend money on deposits and then cancel with no refund payable, you are your own worst enemy.

Ultimately, the company has no obligation other than to make a profit. If circumstances prevent the company releasing its products and realising its profit, no-one will be more annoyed than the commissioners.

Please, just get real - life is like that; we rarely get what we want, when we want it! If it has to be NOW, take up paper aeroplanes.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3