RevolutioN Trains Announce PFA in N Gauge

sc2016

http://www.revolutiontrains.com/pfa-bulous-flats-from-revolution/

Information from Above Link:

Revolution is offering the PFA 4-wheel container flat to accompany the forthcoming KUA bogie flask wagon and further develop its successful relationship with Accurascale.

image.png.a1e47a410bbdc3142e6a9601d9593891.png

PFA DRSL92798 at Carlisle. Photo courtesy Ray Forster.

The wagons were built by Standard Wagon Co. in 1987 to carry containerised coal traffic for Cawoods Ltd from collieries across Britain to dockside terminals for onward shipping to Ireland.

image.png.e0f89ceafcc2a25a99aee7cd7f4200cb.png

56132 on Blyth-Ellesmere Port Cawoods containers in 1989. Photo courtesy Mick Page.

Open coal containers were also used by British Fuels and CPL, with the wagons, and some were also pressed into service on trains for British Gypsum, carrying their distinctive blue containers.

image.png.2499eced341dcade1e1f2d30195dea98.png

66208 and 56056 at Burton Salmon with British Fuels and CPL containers in 2002. Photo courtesy Neil Harvey.

image.png.ec00a381a48bd04850a129ca9ac5bbb2.png

60041 with gypsum containers at Hellifield in 2006. Photo courtesy Ian Tunstall.

image.png.214dbb6782cacdc47ccda44c8f02ce4a.png

PFA with blue gypsum container

In the early part of this century a batch were acquired by DRS who still use them as runner wagons and for the transportation of containerised nuclear waste, particularly in distinctive half-height 20′ containers.

image.png.f1b977fe8911edae73c6774cc79680a5.png

image.png.b8ab3b39a3a5478235ab32f5b6a60f03.png

68002 and 68004 on 6K73 Sellafield – Crewe in 2019. Photo courtesy Andy Parkinson.

image.png.26023c048f1d9c0290d24f3a62395c88.png

DRS 37 605 & 37602 with waste containers Dungeness – Crewe 2018. Photo courtesy Train Photos.

The Revolution model will feature our usual refinements and we are expecting to open the order book in 2020.

We are also exploring the possibility of offering the wagons with coal, gypsum and nuclear containers and also offering these items as separate accessories.

• Like 4

Hi Ben, Mike,

Great News.

Do you have a time frame for delivery?

Will the wagons some complete with a Cawoods container?,

Will they be available wagon only so I can fit my c rail coal containers?

I'll be looking at 30 roughly what size 2nd mortgage will I require?

Cheers

Duncan

Edited by Duncan.
typo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Hi Ben, Mike,

Great News.

Do you have a time frame for delivery?

Will the wagons some complete with a Cawoods container?,

Will they be available wagon only so I can fit my c rail coal containers?

I'll be looking at 30 roughly what size 2nd mortgage will I require?

Cheers

Duncan

Hi,

In the hope of helping out Ben and Mike just a teensiest bit you might find the following of help.

Ben replying to the query on the NGF 24/11/19:

We intend producing as many different containers as is feasible.  Initially I am sure the low level waste containers and Cawoods will be part of the project.

And buying the wagons unloaded will also be an option.

Mike replying to the query on the NGF 26/11/19:

The PFAs will be listed very soon! Ben and I just need to agree a couple of things.

HTH.

Regards, Gerry.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 03/12/2019 at 11:15, bluedepot said:

I've only seen pictures of Cawoods in block trains before - but did they run very often mixed in with other coal wagons (HEAs for example) or in with other wagons in speedlink services? 

Tim

On 10/12/2019 at 13:37, Ed-farms said:

...does anyone know how many were in a train roughly?

Hi,

Accurascale Fran has posted a formation guide here:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/143313-pfa-by-accurascale/&do=findComment&comment=3762220

Regards, Gerry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, steam-driven boy said:

Hi,

Accurascale Fran has posted a formation guide here:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/143313-pfa-by-accurascale/&do=findComment&comment=3762220

Regards, Gerry.

Thanks Gerry, looks like this could get expensive with some trains about 30 wagons. Hopefully my next layout will fit 30 plus wagons

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Apologies for not answering questions - I hadn’t seen this topic - so thanks to Gerry for pointing people in the right direction!

The PFAs are in CAD right now though and we are hoping to have images soon.  This is one of my favourite wagon types so delighted to be able to offer it!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what type of coupling the PFA will come with? Debating with myself over ordering due to the fact that the KFA had some coupling issues causing it to decouple and derail constantly. Will these be the kinematic type we have seen on the likes of the IZAs and HOA?

On 07/07/2020 at 13:16, Lukas G. said:

Does anyone know what type of coupling the PFA will come with? Debating with myself over ordering due to the fact that the KFA had some coupling issues causing it to decouple and derail constantly. Will these be the kinematic type we have seen on the likes of the IZAs and HOA?

If you are having issues with the KFA couplers, check the coupler is not contacting the underside of the buffers on curves. A very gentle pressure to bend down the NEM pocket should solve the problem. Solved it for me on a reverse curve entering the fiddle yard.

Edited by Mike Harvey
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Mike, Ben,

Is there any news on when the order book will close on these?

On 15/02/2020 at 17:13, Ben A said:

The PFAs are in CAD right now though and we are hoping to have images soon.  This is one of my favourite wagon types so delighted to be able to offer it!

I have to admit that I have not yet placed an order as my available funds have gone on 'Caroline' and Class A tanks. I will order but could do with a heads up as to how long I might have to save up!

Cheers

Duncan

Edited by Duncan.
typo

• RMweb Gold

Hi Duncan,

We won’t close the order book until liveries are finalised and approved, and at the moment we are only at the early stages, with EP1 samples expected very soon, so there’s a fair few months yet I’d say.

Cheers

Ben A.