Finney GWR 3000gal tender OO

I have started the 3000gal tender for my Martin Finney Aberdare.

How can I get it round my track curves (about 3rd radius minimum). There’s only about 0.5mm clearance either side of the well tank so the middle wheels cannot move to accommodate curves. Also the bearing slots for this axle are so large the pinpoint bearings just fall through.

40CFCD42-F1F0-4FC9-B22B-8B7BEA2A0309.jpeg.8bd4409eedb1b1b177bf82c422c3aa5e.jpeg

Anyone successfully built one of these in 00?

Having had a careful look at this on a 3rd radius curve I might have a solution.

1: Cut away the well tank behind the middle wheels and replace with an inset section to give lateral movement to the wheelset.

2: Use blunt ended axle and loose top hat type bearings to retain wheelbase while allowing the compensation to work and wheels to move laterally.

On 22/11/2019 at 22:53, Darwinian said:

I have started the 3000gal tender for my Martin Finney Aberdare.

How can I get it round my track curves (about 3rd radius minimum). There’s only about 0.5mm clearance either side of the well tank so the middle wheels cannot move to accommodate curves. Also the bearing slots for this axle are so large the pinpoint bearings just fall through.

40CFCD42-F1F0-4FC9-B22B-8B7BEA2A0309.jpeg.8bd4409eedb1b1b177bf82c422c3aa5e.jpeg

Anyone successfully built one of these in 00?

You should have a longer axle for the middle wheels with top hat bearings supplied in the kit and not pinpoint. The middle axle should slide through the top hat bearing and this should give you clearance. 3’ radius is a bit tight though. You   Might have to remove some material from the well immediately behind the middle wheels for clearance. These kits are designed for Wider gauges where there is plenty of clearance behind the wheels and it is possible that the inner clearance limits the 00 curve radius as much as the outer clearance limits the wider gauges.

Mark Humphrys

On 25/11/2019 at 19:24, Mark said:

You should have a longer axle for the middle wheels with top hat bearings supplied in the kit and not pinpoint. The middle axle should slide through the top hat bearing and this should give you clearance. 3’ radius is a bit tight though. You   Might have to remove some material from the well immediately behind the middle wheels for clearance. These kits are designed for Wider gauges where there is plenty of clearance behind the wheels and it is possible that the inner clearance limits the 00 curve radius as much as the outer clearance limits the wider gauges.

Mark Humphrys

The trouble there is that the distance to the wheel fronts allows the top hat type bearings to drop out of the frames. They cannot be soldered in or the compensation won’t work.

I took 1mm off each side for the whole tank length and made crude hornguides that hold the middle axle. Goes nicely around 3rd radius and my iffy point work now.

On 25/11/2019 at 20:16, Denbridge said:

Not the tender, but from memory, you might struggle to get the loco round 3rd radius curves.

I will cross that bridge when I come to it.  There will be plenty of space between the frames but getting enough side to side movement with outside cranks will be interesting.  Fixed wheelbase isn’t all that long so that helps.

I have checked the. fixed wheelbase of the loco and it comes out 2mm shorter than a 57xx 0-6-0T. Both my Finney 2721 (compensated) and High level chassis (CSB) fitted 57xx will get round 3rd radius so I’m optimistic. 

My my question has been addressed so I will post further progress on my Cwmhir layout thread.

• 1 month later...

I have another question.

Were the U shaped fire iron brackets only fitted along with the fire iron tray or were some fitted before the rearranged vents and tray?

Any help gratefully received as I’ve exhausted my references without any clear conclusion.

59 minutes ago, Darwinian said:

Were the U shaped fire iron brackets only fitted along with the fire iron tray or were some fitted before the rearranged vents and tray?

I don't have evidence either way, but my feeling is that the U-shaped upstands were probably fitted at the same time as fire-iron trays, which seem to be fitted at the same time (or thereabouts) as fenders. (Fenders in that context meaning proper side sheet things, rather than makeshift sheeting fitted behind coal rails.) That takes us back to 1903. Before fire-iron trays, fire-irons tended to be stashed somewhat unsafely

Edited by Miss Prism

3 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

I don't have evidence either way, but my feeling is that the U-shaped upstands were probably fitted at the same time as fire-iron trays, which seem to be fitted at the same time (or thereabouts) as fenders. (Fenders in that context meaning proper side sheet things, rather than makeshift sheeting fitted behind coal rails.) That takes us back to 1903. Before fire-iron trays, fire-irons tended to be stashed somewhat unsafely

Bother, that mean's I have drilled the wrong holes in the tank top-plate. I need to have the vents further back and presumably a water gauge too. Think I can still get at the locations from below to at least witness them.  That picture is great, I can see why fire-iron trays were fitted.

I was aiming for an A45 type tender (Finney Instructions) subsequently fitted with coal fenders (plates) but not any other updating. Probably unlikely to still be like that (if ever) in my 1929 period?

17 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Water gauges came in about the same time as fire-iron trays I think. By 1929, a 3000g would have the usual complement of fittings. For an Aberdare matchup, I suggest a 8'3" wideplate with heavy springs

Thanks Miss P. There are only one type of springs (heavy?) in the Finney kits so they will be the ones I use.

Plate G80 in the RCTS Dean Tender Engines book shows 2666 with what appears to be one of the earlier tenders with curved front step back plate, coal fenders, outrigger handrails, think these were narrow footplate type. Looks to be a fairly late era photograph. Also Russel Plate 60 Loco 2632 shows one of these clearly without the front tank side flair cut-away (Lot A45) dated 1912 so think I'm OK to have the narrow footplate with extensions for the handrails. I've got number plates for 2671 but no photos to prove me wrong?