Dapol Catenary

robgregson1

hello. just about to purchase some new Dapol catenary masts and i need to know what the official spacing is for them on a straight piece of track. obviously at tighter curves and point work they have to be positioned to ensure that the wire is in contact with the panto.

hello. just about to purchase some new Dapol catenary masts and i need to know what the official spacing is for them on a straight piece of track. obviously at tighter curves and point work they have to be positioned to ensure that the wire is in contact with the panto.

I would certainly be interested in your experiences of these. From what I understand no wire is provided so if you leave this off, the pantographs will need to be limited in reach to stop them fowling the arms.

just done a quick mock up to see what the mast look like. i have used a piece of white cotton to try to show the wires but i don't know yet whether to model them or not. very pleased with the masts. they are very brittle though. good job i got plenty of spares.

post-6482-127351495005_thumb.jpg

post-6482-127351508093_thumb.jpg

I saw these on show at Leamington last autumn and they really are excellent fine mouldings. As suggested by Dapol they do have to be treated as dispensable as they break so easily, but fortunately are also cheap and easy to replace.

Fishing line has been used to good effect to represent catenary on N gauge layouts, see Kinlet Wharf for example. But that layout fixes the pantograph just below wire level, which is impossible to see unless you look for it

To be honest I can't see any catenary in this scale achieving scale appearance and also having the pantograph in contact with it. Therefore it is necessary to fix the pantograph and accept some compromise at overbridges where the prototype wire normally reduces below the standard height.

Anyone with a supply of carbon nanotube is welcome to prove me wrong - but how do you cut it to length?!

i got mine from hattons ste. £4 a pack. 95p cheaper than rrp but if you pay postage this can be as much as £4 per order. luckily i live in the northwest so getting there in person isn't a problem. i am going to have a play around with various threads etc to see if i can make it look realistic. if not, i will leave them bare. as far as i am aware, the new Dapol 86 pantograph is restricted so that it only rises to just below the masts.my dad has one on order so i will check when his turns up.

Hiya,

Not to cause any inflammation, but with 'advice' like that, whose going to buy a product with the tag line - expect to break a few - written on it.

Might be cheap, but im not keen on buying something known to break unless you have the hands of a brain surgeon.

Regards

Hiya,

Not to cause any inflammation, but with 'advice' like that, whose going to buy a product with the tag line - expect to break a few - written on it.

Might be cheap, but im not keen on buying something known to break unless you have the hands of a brain surgeon.

Regards

I mean, first of all "hands of a brain surgeon" is completely OTT

Secondly, they're no more delicate than a working signal or yard light, which if you break one, are tricky/time consuming to replace, unlike this product.

Plus, the caternary is bound to be at risk, lying next to track (which is occasionally cleaned by hand?) and presumably in an area of the layout which is flat, with little to protect it in terms of robust buildings etc

This product can only advance N gauge influence, allowing the average modeller to run Electtric stock and increasing spending which can only increase the market = encouraging the development of more products

I think it shows a refreshing honesty and innovative thinking by Dapol. Making them cheap to buy and easy to replace means it doesn't matter much if a few get broken - and they sell more because everyone will buy some spare ones. Attempting to make them stronger would result in something very much overscale, probably still quite vulnerable to damage and more costly to replace as well.

Hiya,

Brain surgery was somewhat intentionally OTT, so my apologies if that was not obvious. I was expressing dislike to the discussion that buying a product expected to break even if handled with the usual care.

With regard to re-enforcement causing over scaling and reduction in fidelity, Dapol could be the first to engage in use of Carbon Nano-Tubes? :)

Regards

Guest jim s-w

Hi All

Even in 4mm scale and working in metals catenary is a bit fragile. The thing is the system as a whole is strong but take away any element and it becomes weak. Its unrealistic for any manufacturer to supply a complete system that will meet anything more than 1 individuals requirements ergo Dapols cheap and replaceable approach is very clever IMHO.

Cheers

Jim

Hi All

Even in 4mm scale and working in metals catenary is a bit fragile. The thing is the system as a whole is strong but take away any element and it becomes weak. Its unrealistic for any manufacturer to supply a complete system that will meet anything more than 1 individuals requirements ergo Dapols cheap and replaceable approach is very clever IMHO.

Cheers

Jim

Agreed - it wouldn't look right if it was beefed up to make it stronger, and we'd all be moaning about it "not looking right". A good compromise seems to have been reached - they look right, but are delicate, but are cheap enough to be replaced.

Looking forward to picking up some packs with my FL 86.....

Just going back to the above pictures (looks very good) have you threaded the cotton through the registration arms ? Didn't look like there was a gap to thread through.

I hope they introduce some randomly angled washers to place between mast and baseboard, to recreate the jaunty angles found on the Styal line's masts.......some of which have a wire strung between them to stop them splaying apart further !

the thread does go through the masts. there is enough room for it. the part of the mast that would carry the wire in real life is the most delicate part of the model ones. the thread has actually cut through the pastic on one mast. i must be more gentle when it comes to wiring my actual layout.

Saw a pack in my local shop today. Look most impressive and we couldn't see how they're making money on these. Compared to the established brands (sommerfeldt etc) they're ludicrously cheap.

My shop had them at full RRP, I've added them to an existing Hattons order to save £5 !

• 2 weeks later...

Saw a pack in my local shop today. Look most impressive and we couldn't see how they're making money on these. Compared to the established brands (sommerfeldt etc) they're ludicrously cheap.

They aren't really comparable to the Sommerfeldt system, that's like comparing a working system based on a number of European electrification designs that have to suit the majority of layouts, as opposed to the single type, plonk and play Dapol product.

However, I think they are something the N gauge market rightly deserves, having done just about everything with modelling overhead electrification, i'd say they are just about all the modeller needs to represent electrification in this scale. I wouldn't even bother with the wires, as they'd always look overscale from the average viewing distance.

I was expressing dislike to the discussion that buying a product expected to break even if handled with the usual care.

Yes, there would be dissatisfacton if that was the case, but no-one is saying the product is 'expected' to break in normal use, although, like with any other fine-scale model product, some care with handling is needed - and that, if you do accidently clatter one and break it, the cost is reasonable enough to replace it without too much upset and financial worry.

G.

Archived