How early did English Electric Type 3s make it to Scotland?

rogerzilla

3 hours ago, Steamysandy said:

(This train had some very interesting motive power at times - including Gatesheads Class 24s later used on the Concert ore trains!)

Did they need conductor drivers on that duty? 

(I presume you've been a victim of autocorrect?)

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Maybe a place to point out the first mainline diesel allocated to Inverness was a class 31... arrived for a month in June 1958. Theres several pictures online of D5511 in the highlands.

It was another 18 month before Inverness got its 2nd mainline diesel, in 1960 in the form of a more familiar class 26.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Maybe a place to point out the first mainline diesel allocated to Inverness was a class 31... arrived for a month in June 1958. Theres several pictures online of D5511 in the highlands.

It was another 18 month before Inverness got its 2nd mainline diesel, in 1960 in the form of a more familiar class 26.

Pedantically, it was Brush 2 or D13/1. TOPS didn't exist back in the dark ages, and it would have been a class 30 at that!

Mike.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

On 01/12/2019 at 02:13, MidlandRed said:

The reasons for over provision were complex and many - not least Beeching - but one was not taking due account of the flexibility of diesel and electric to work continuously (if they were reliable).

They did get better at this. 22 Deltics replaced 55 Gresley A3s and A4s. 

39 minutes ago, rogerzilla said:

They did get better at this. 22 Deltics replaced 55 Gresley A3s and A4s. 

Needed for the business case I think (they did largely list A3s which were the oldest of their Pacifics at the time, and thus with the lowest write down value). I suspect in reality the replacement rate was higher ultimately.

Perhaps I should have said 'insufficient account' which would be more accurate than not taking account. Hindsight is a more exact process than estimation - however reappraisal on a system-wide bases, and also taking greater account of the additional broader savings which could occur during the latter stages of or after the transition period from steam to diesel (e.g. complete closure of steam depots) enabled further savings. Whilst not wishing to pick on the WR (as I'm sure the other regions had similar issues) but they did state in 1963 an ultimate requirement for 400 type 3s - they ended up with 101 Hymeks and around 80 EE Type 3s. Presumably inter-regional workings increased as the 60s progressed compared with in steam days, which along with many other factors (including closures) affected this.

Lovely shot of D6841 in original condition in 1969 at Millerhill here https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/30/751/ .  I was looking at the BR Loco Database and extracted the following data, so the first transfers were to Polmadie in August 1966, further transfers later resulted in the whole batch between D6837 to D6859 being Scottish Engines by 1972.  This reflects the underlined numbers in my 1970s Ian Allens

image.png.32d928ca7c0b3676f8a2c59e21a88356.png 

Edit - dates corrected

Edited by luckymucklebackit

I think it would have been much later before Class 37s appeared in the highlands. Were they not initially allocated in the central belt and used southwards so Class 40s would have made it up to Aberdeen and Inverness, but not 37s. I thought most of the northern lines of Scotland would have been worked by Type 2s until at least BR Blue days