Advice for Simple(ish) moving semaphores

• RMweb Premium

I’m looking for some advice please, although I suspect I may be looking for the impossible.

I need to start installing semaphores on my mid 80s terminus but am struggling as to what to go with.

Ideally I want something that can be operated (probably manually), isn’t too fine and fiddly but isn't the chunking great Hornby things. I’m a fairly competent modeller but not great on the really fine/intricate stuff.

I’ve made fixed Ratio signals in the past which were fine, but tried to get on with a mechanism and gave up after making a mess. I’ve tried a Dapol operating signal but not keen as the case and workings came apart pretty easily and needing a few brackets etc it would cost a small fortune.

I’ve been looking at some stuff on line where people have effectively detailed old Hornby Dublo signals but the starting units seem pretty crude. I notice there are some ‘easy assemble’ Ratio signals but other forums appear to be filled with horror stories.

Any suggestions or help gladly appreciated - even if it’s ‘get real and either accept fixed Ratio ones or Hornby ones’!

• RMweb Gold

Not having as much dexterity in my hands nowadays, I find intricate modelling can be a somewhat hit and miss affair, having to cut more corners than I would prefer. 

My workaround for these platform starters is Ratio arms and lamps/pivots with post and dolls of Plastruct. Operation is by 0.51mm piano wires though the baseboard to bell cranks from where 1.00mm piano wires go out through the baseboard frame where they are bent 90° to form "levers". Two small pieces of Code 60 conductor rail, bent to suit transfer the motion "across" to the dolls. By no means authentic, painted to match, they're only noticeable at closer viewing distances and they do the job, Please see photo. 

It has to be said, these signals were/are a a stop-gap measure having replaced working colour lights; the intention being to build prototypical posts and dolls and use etched brass components - next year hopefully.

Why did I replace the MAS with boards, which some may find odd? Simply, when viewing semaphores from any angle, I can see whether or not they've been pulled off giving an operational "feel" to the scene. 

IMG_20191129_201340_922.jpg

Edited by Right Away
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I used a 12 volt motor to operate one of the ready made ratio signals, it only turns 2/3rds of a turn and moves a counter weight, a 13amp plug pin from down to the left o down to the right which moves the operating hole from up to down. It works ridiculously well and came from my scrap box.