Opinions sought for trackplan

BillH

Hi everyone,

I have been re-working my trackplan for an East Anglian through station in the mid 50s and would like some input into weather it would be realistic for running practices of the time. Particularly in regard to how I will deal with a branch train reversing.

142658145_GoodwinsElm.jpg.49f41bb06aa714f12571a6706b75d332.jpg

There will ultimately be a branch from a junction at the right hand end which will run in front of a fiddle yard at the top. My main query is if a branch train ran in from the right, turned into the island platform loop via the single slip by the signal box and stopped at the platform; would it then be appropriate to for the loco to simply run around the island platform to get on the other end of the train? Even though this would mean being on the wrong line for the length of the platform. Or would it be necessary to have a crossover beyond the road bridge (this area will be built up so I would hope to avoid it if I can).  Also would the Island platform loop require catchpoints as it would be for passenger train use only.

Any other suggestions are more than welcome also, the set up of the yard by the maltings is not final by any means, just a impression of Colchester Hythe and Wivenhoe from where the plan draws most of its inspiration.

Cheers

Bill

• Like 1

Usually all you need is a pair of trailing crossovers to allow loco hauled trains to reverse, Often there would be a siding for the terminating train to wait in between trips, Sometimes the train would depart again from the same platform after the loco runs round, equally the train could shunt across from up to down or vice versa before departing, it depends on the signalling.    The running round described should be ok as long as it is signalled but the signalman is not going to have a great view of what is occurring so maybe a lot of whistling would be needed and the normal pair of trailing crossovers would be a lot easier.

The slip in use as a facing lead from main to loop is a bit unlikely, much more likely the slip would be the other way round as part of a trailing crossover, if you are using 00 Peco the slip is too tight a radius for smooth running,  I would use a medium radius or large radius point for the entry to the loop.

The problem I see is with the yard, I guess the Sweedies would block the left to right main line with the pick up freight for most of the afternoon while they shunted the yard but we modellers like to have the Manchester to Harwich boat train or some such careering around endlessly while we shunt and there is  nowhere to put the pick up while it goes past.

Screenshot (116)a.png

• Like 2

Thanks DavidCBroad,

that's the kind of feedback I'm looking for. I did consider a crossover in front of the station as an option would I then also remove the one at the end of the station platform into the yard? As three crossovers seems a bit excessive.

The point about the signal box placement is also relevant if I were to put in the points going into the loop as you have marked I think I would probably move the signal box to the island platform. The track that I have used so far (and am currently waiting for) is the new code 75 peco bullhead.

In regard to the goods yard it is based loosely on this

Wivenhoe2.png.10759aeb86c03010ab7e83626ad14e5e.png 

Possibly I should add a second siding running past the goods shed to provide space to park the pick up goods. Or else have a J70 run over from Colchester Hythe to shunt the yard and have it ready for the goods or possibly do both.

You are also right about the circulating large passenger trains while I am shunting the yard or the branch. Here is an excursion returning from Clacton on sea being tried out for clearance on the large curve I already have in place. 20191124_104849.jpg.5f5ed16d7ff5efc7079a770e9f4ad3e8.jpg20191124_105006.jpg.fd6aa9f2d7dd9e57324c8cb1b34c1f87.jpg

And some rough mock ups of the station area and loop.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bill,

The island platform being on that side of the tracks causes a few logistical problems, such as the two footbridges. If the station is not very busy then just a pair of trailing crossovers, like David said might be better. Then either abandon the loop or convert to a Bay platform facing the branch?

Looking at your plan and the map, I see that the small spur to the right of the station building was for end loading. That usage would be blocked by the SB in your plan. So, suggestion: Assuming that the outer platform is no longer an island, Why not put the station building on the outside of the double track circuits? That would free up the inside to be entirely goods, give room for the end loading, and give a natural connection between the town and the passenger side without the special footbridge.

Thanks Harlequin,

basically what you are suggesting is how I had planned the station previously. My original thought was to have the branch trains pass through (to terminate at a larger town) and reverse off scene. I then decided that I wanted the fiddle yard a bit more hidden from view so I would need to reverse them at the station. My plan was as you suggest to have the bay platforms and the main station building on the outside platform (which is the up line in this case). The problem with that is that I intended the town to be situated higher than the railway (the plan doesn't show this) then the road would be too steep to get to the station. I could put the station at road level with steps down and that could probably be made to look quite good, but I am particularly keen to have the standard Tendering Hundred Railway style station building and that wouldn't work in that situation.

I could still have bay platforms on the up side however, and I will put some track down and see what it looks like. 

The second bridge the one furthest left is actually a road bridge with footpath and provides road access to the maltings,quay etc. it is also more importantly a scenic break as the curve is a bit tighter than I would like here to allow a larger curve at the other end of the layout. I will adjust the station and probably shorten/skew the spur slightly so it can be used for end loading.

I like the idea of just a pair of trailing crossovers (one by the station building and one by the signal box) and getting rid of the crossing near the end of the down platform as then I can get back to track laying (at least on the down side) and don't have to wait for the peco bullhead crossing to be available.

Cheers

Bill