Painting Aviemore Shed

Right, the time has come to make a start on painting my laser cut model of Aviemore Shed that was produced by Brian at Smart Models.  I have been concentrating on track laying recently but it is time to get the shed looking more like its namesake.  Now I have seen a number of techniques to paint the stone work but I thought I would stick a post up to see if anyone else has thoughts or guidance to a newby like myself.  I have not painted any models before and given the size of this shed, it is a little daunting.

As you can see the stone work on the front of the shed is considerably darker than the sides as you would expect due to steam and dirt from the locos getting disposed of over the pits.

I have attached a number of images that show both the shed in its real life guise and some images of my model.  I am trying to keep costs down but I also want to make the best of the model so any advise on paints to use, techniques and brush or rollers would be hugely welcome???

Thanks in advance.

20191123_103913.jpg

20180312_144228.jpg

Edited by twoscoops

• RMweb Gold

Looks a lovely model! Very nicely made. Good luck with painting it. I cant offer any advice as I have not painted laser cut wood models before. I would however be interested to see what more experienced folks say.

A good primer might be the key. I know Mr Alan Downes had a particular method for his buildings which used Colron wood dye, talc powder, and a dusting of black acrylic aerosol. Check out his posts on RMweb or google him. He has unfortunately passed away, but his legacy remains. He used Wills plastic as the main construct of his models, but I am sure some of his techniques are transferable to laser cut products.

I have also seen great use of colouring pencils, for picking out stones of differing shades, just not sure if they would be good on such a large model with large individual stones. 

Painting my plasticard scratchbuilt engine shed, I used grey primer, colron wood dye, beige/buff airbrushed on and finished off with copious amounts of Humbrol Smoke weathering powder. 

Cant wait to see the results!

Ian

• Like 2

Personally I would paint all the walls in the mortar collar, then have a palette of 4 or 5 varying tones of the darker grey then paint each stone individually, randomly picking stones all around the building, varying the tone used from the palette it sound a laborious task but you will be surprised at how quick it will go once you start.

I would start with the window surrounds as they seem more uniform than the other stone work.

Then once all covered maybe a dusting with grey weathering powders to bring it all together.

Edited by Campaman
Spelling....
  • Like 1

On 02/12/2019 at 13:12, Campaman said:

Personally I would paint all the walls in the mortar collar, then have a palette of 4 or 5 varying tones of the darker grey then paint each stone individually, randomly picking stones all around the building, varying the tone used from the palette it sound a laborious task but you will be surprised at how quick it will go once you start.

I would start with the window surrounds as they seem more uniform than the other stone work.

Then once all covered maybe a dusting with grey weathering powders to bring it all together.

Hi Andy

Thanks for your thoughts.  The problem is that the model is fairly massive at nearly 3 foot long.  I am coming round to the idea of painting a base dark grey and then as you say picking out certain stones in differing shades.  Then applying a mortar colour wash and then weathering with the grey powders that you have mentioned.  Really out of my depth as I hve never done this before.

Looking on youtube there is really no one else that I have found that has painted stonework that has been laser cut on MDF before.

• RMweb Gold

I think once you have sealed it with a good primer, paitning it the same as you would a plastic kit should work. The BRM dvd this month has a article on building a laser cut engine shed, and just primes it with a white primer. After that, you could rub over with pencils, chalks, pastels, or dry-brush using enamels/acrylics etc. 

Ian

2 hours ago, ianLMS said:

I think once you have sealed it with a good primer, paitning it the same as you would a plastic kit should work. The BRM dvd this month has a article on building a laser cut engine shed, and just primes it with a white primer. After that, you could rub over with pencils, chalks, pastels, or dry-brush using enamels/acrylics etc. 

Ian

Thanks for the tip off Ian, I will try and pick up a copy.

• 9 months later...

Glad to see you have managed to get the shed done. I bet this has come up very large compared to mine. I used a small roller on mine and then picked out the individual stone work. Looking back on mine I could have afforded to go a bit darker.

to be honest you would have found it easier painting before putting together.

I shall look forward to seeing this come along.