Interesting Tunnels to Model (Possibly)

• RMweb Premium

I've been looking through some old work photos (again) and came across a couple of Salterhebble Tunnels. These are on the short Dryclough Junction to Greetland Junction branch.

The line had been mothballed for a few years, but was being considered for reopening (along with the Bradley Wood Jcn/Bradley Jcn branch to provide 'direct' services between Bradford and Huddersfield) so myself and a colleague went to do a bit of a survey (from a Telecoms perspective) to see what was still there and what, as a minimum, would be required to get the line operational again.

These photos date form April 1998, and show the Salterhebble Tunnel portals. Although by no means unique, the tunnel portals are a bit different in style to the more 'common' shape of tunnel portal and I thought perhaps someone who was thinking about incorporating a tunnel in their layout might want to have one that looked "a bit different".

The tunnel (and close up) looking from Greetland Junction to Dryclough Junction direction.

IMG00072-2.jpg.dff4d2728929cbf2df96ec0811381cdb.jpg

IMG00072-3.jpg.9e0c9a1134885bf874a9022ed48e6607.jpg

And from Dryclough Junction to Greetland Junction direction.

IMG00073-2.jpg.c659e2c833e60322c0fe65d45f8b624d.jpg

IMG00073-3.jpg.01ec1138fc59b84b3b6cef26369e0fc5.jpg

At the time of mothballing the line was controlled in the most part by Greetland Jcn signal box.

Hope the photos are of some interest.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, russ p said:

Did the track get lifted or is it still like that 

Hi Russ,

The track was relayed and resignalled, with control going onto the then Healey Mills signal box, but I assume now (without checking the SA) controlled from York ROC.

• Informative/Useful 1