Modelling Book available in 1950s

Edward

• RMweb Premium

Wondering if anyone may know the name of a book which I borrowed from a local library in the early 50s.  It was filled with black and white line drawings of how to do things,  and I found it fascinating as a 14 year old.  I remember that the author described his own layout.  It was set on an island and had a number of  towns to get it a raison d'etre.  Also was particularly strong on card building.   I tried using some of these ideas to "improve" my Hornby Dublo stations etc. 

Not much to go on I realise but it might trigger a memory!

• RMweb Gold

I have this book by Edward Beal. I think it may be the one you remember, although some of your recollections don't seem to fit with it. It is currently available from World of Books - a good source of second-hand books. Cheap, post free, efficient and linked to charity book shops. I have no connection other than as a very satisfied customer.

https://www.worldofbooks.com/en-gb/rare-books/edward-beal/new-developments-in-railway-modelling/1552638343MHA

Edited by phil_sutters

I wonder if the book in question might not be P R Wickham's 'A Book of Model Railways' (Percival Marshall, 1949).  This too has plenty of line drawings, and much on card buildings (the author wrote another book on architectural modelling in card).  It also has some details of a projected 7mm line, the 'Cleasdale and North Coast Railway', by J H G Walton and G Y Hemingway, set on an island off the coast of Northumberland.

D

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Darryl Tooley said:

I wonder if the book in question might not be P R Wickham's 'A Book of Model Railways' (Percival Marshall, 1949).  This too has plenty of line drawings, and much on card buildings (the author wrote another book on architectural modelling in card).  It also has some details of a projected 7mm line, the 'Cleasdale and North Coast Railway', by J H G Walton and G Y Hemingway, set on an island off the coast of Northumberland.

D

Also available from World of Books at £10.99. Again no connection.

I have a couple of books here by John H Ahern published early 1950's, "Miniature Landscape Modelling" and "Miniature Building Construction" (priced 8/6!) which have plenty of line drawings and B&W photos. Plenty on card modelling.

They may not be the one you remember but if you'd like them PM me.  I have no use for them - they have been on my shelf for years -  and don't want money for them. 

It's not The Boys Book of Model Railways  by Ernest Carter is it?

I've got an earlier version and seems to be similar. It's a long time since I looked at it though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Boys-Book-Model-Railways/dp/B0020KRWAE/ref=sr_1_15?qid=1574895773&refinements=p_27%3AErnest+F.+Carter&s=books&sr=1-15&text=Ernest+F.+Carter

Jason

I remember having to, continually, borrow this book from my school's library, many moons ago.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=30444612392&searchurl=an%3Dcarter%26sortby%3D20%26tn%3Dmodel%2Brailway%2Bencyclopaedia&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp1-_-image4

Another by Ernest F. Carter.  One of the originators of the Model Railway Constructor magazine.

Edited by Ceptic

4 hours ago, Ceptic said:

I remember having to, continually, borrow this book from my school's library, many moons ago.

I use to borrow, continually,  Beal's 'Modelling the Old Time Railways' from Winchester Library in the 1950's, in the end I bought it off them during a sale.  I have three copies now.

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 2

Some great books there.

The one in my collection is 'The Boy's book of model-making' edited by Staton Abbey. Published 1952.

Includes chapters on:

card buildings by John Ahern

Building a model railway by HB Gwyther

Building a locomotive body by Ernest Carter

Model maker's workshop by Staton Abbey

and chapters on building a lathe, traction engine, a model car, model ships, speedboats, model yachts, aircraft, miniture motors (petrol), seam engines etc.

A very inspiring book for a youngster!

• Like 1