Mixing Code 83 & Code 75 track

melmerby

I have used Peco code 75 and even one code 100 train set curved turnout in my fiddle yard for a small US railroad layout. I modify the rail joiners with a bit of solder if the Peco transition tracks won't fit.  Peco US Code 70 and Code 75 rail doesn't take much fiddling. I think there are also Peco Code 75 to code 100 transition rail joiners. A light coat of solder inside the smaller rail side of a joiner will also handle 70 or 75 to 83 and maintain electrical connectivity.   True code 70 and 83 are HO scale and not much like older English model non-chaired prototype track (but then Code 75 streamline isn't really UK prototype anyway) but the usual "bury it deep in a bit of ballast" approach will solve most appearance problems.  There are more problems if you mix with other US track brands, particularly Atlas and the new Walthers line of track that has a very non-prototypical rail profile. 

Edited by autocoach

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, autocoach said:

I think there are also Peco Code 75 to code 100 transition rail joiners.

Indeed there are. Peco SL113

I have just purchased 4 packs (16 items) to join my Fleischmann TT to my code 75 trackwork.

I originally used the code 75 to code 100 track joiners SL 112 but they are very fragile and after removing some of the track they broke easily, so I replace them all.

The track is electrically linked by a spot welded wire (like pointwork) and can be broken if required.

Edited by melmerby